• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Amazon Question

I searched but couldn’t find the answer to my particular question. (Apologies if I missed it).

I’ve got an Amazon gift card that I want to use for a knife. If the order is sold and shipped by Amazon, i.e. no specific seller is listed, does that mean that Amazon gets the knife directly from the manufacturer?

I’m worried about fakes, obviously. Is there a listing of trusted knife dealers on Amazon? I’ve seen DLT Trading, for example, and I trust them. But are there other shops that are just as reputable?

Thx guys.

If it says shipped and sold by Amazon that means you're buying directly from the company. Uh, just to clarify... the specific seller IS amazon if you're buying from the company. Yes, amazon gets the knife directly from the company/manufacture.

It's still possible for you to get a fake directly from Amazon -- when someone buys an authentic knife, swaps it for a fake, and returns the fake to Amazon -- but Amazon is always fantastic for returns. I've bought several knives there and only received the genuine article, but I know I'm rolling the dice when I go that route.

It's still possible for you to get a fake directly from Amazon -- when someone buys an authentic knife, swaps it for a fake, and returns the fake to Amazon -- but Amazon is always fantastic for returns. I've bought several knives there and only received the genuine article, but I know I'm rolling the dice when I go that route.

Not sure why this only gets brought up with amazon. Technically speaking this issue could happen to any company that offers a return policy.

Not sure why this only gets brought up with amazon. Technically speaking this issue could happen to any company that offers a return policy.
Well for one, returning a fake directly to the manufacturer probably won't fly. 2ND Returning a fake to a bladeforums authorized dealer likely won't fly. Knives from eBay and amazon, not so much.

The person handling the return knife makes a difference. I think scott at usamadeblade is more likely to catch a fake return than who ever the hell at amazon.

Knife dealers deal specifically in knives. Amazon and ebay deal with millions of items. Tough to specialize in every one of them.

Well for one, returning a fake directly to the manufacturer probably won't fly. 2ND Returning a fake to a bladeforums authorized dealer likely won't fly. Knives from eBay and amazon, not so much.

The person handling the return knife makes a difference. I think scott at usamadeblade is more likely to catch a fake return than who ever the hell at amazon.

Knife dealers deal specifically in knives. Amazon and ebay deal with millions of items. Tough to specialize in every one of them.

Agreed. Plus , I'm sure that all reputable knife dealers know enough to inspect any and all returns for such swap jobs.

If the order is sold and shipped by Amazon, i.e. no specific seller is listed, does that mean that Amazon gets the knife directly from the manufacturer?

I’m worried about fakes, obviously. Is there a listing of trusted knife dealers on Amazon? I’ve seen DLT Trading, for example, and I trust them. But are there other shops that are just as reputable?
I used to order knives from Amazon and had great results but stopped about a couple of years ago. This was partly because around that time Amazon started to get flooded with private sellers. I heard on the news that Amazon's warehouse will mingle their own merchandise with merchandise from other sellers on Amazon's site. So even if you do order an item that says "ships from and sold by Amazon.com", you could still wind up with a fake. That's assuming that what they said on the news was accurate.

Here are a few private sellers on amazon who I purchased from and were excellent: dull knife terminator, Makais, best service stores. And a few others, if I think of them, I'll update this post.

But you don't need to go through amazon, here are some others who are great, some even have real stores: newgraham.com, bladehq.com, atlantacutlery.com, midwayusa.com

True! But with Amazon you have a huge volume of business, a huge volume of returns, many things done in a highly automated fashion (sometimes by actual automatons, as with their warehouse robots), and an extremely customer-friendly return policy. Combine all that, and it makes Amazon a much more tempting target for folks who want to do scammy returns.

I don't have any data to back up this impression, but the occasional times I've returned things to Amazon it's felt like a rubber-stamp type of process. I'm not sure how much inspection is done, if any, or whether that varies by type of item (etc.); I generally get my refund (if requested) as soon as the UPS store scans my return label.

It's best to buy knives from reputable dealers and buy all your other stuff from Amazon.

My only gripe is that Amazon tends to take returns and ship it back out to other customers as new. I've had this happen many times, many of which were blatant returns. Once, I even received a Cold Steel American Lawman with the black dlc stripped off.

Last edited:
I see this "people replace genuine knives bought from amazon with fakes and then return the fakes" claim every time amazon is mentioned. Not defending Amazon nor encouraging people to buy knives from it, but am just curious how often that happens? In my early days of knife hobby, I bought quite a few knives from Amazon and never got a fake. The only time I returned was a Buck 110 that had some quality issue. The replacement knife got shipped even before I mailed the old one.

We check our returns very thoroughly to avoid this. A major retailer like Amazon will not have the same care or expertise.

Yep, I'd think a large, high quality place like DLT would check each and every return. It's the smaller places or the places that are nothing but e-storefronts that most likely won't check. Or if they did, they wouldn't know a fake if they handled one. Some e-storefront personnel probably wouldn't know a PM2 from a SAK.

Back