American Lawman CTS-XHP

SALTY

Gold Member
I posted this over in General Knife Discussion but thought it my be appreciated here. Other than an SRK, which I foolishly sold, a carbon steel Master Hunter (excellent hunting knife) and a bunch of Voyagers, which I really like - I am not a Cold Steel collector. What CS knives I have owned have been excellent performers providing great value. All of that being said, I thought I would share my thoughts on my new favorite EDC folder.

Oh my - this hasn't happened in a while!

I am not a particular Fan Boy of any particular brand; although I do own far more Beckers and Emersons than I could ever use.

That being said, it's not often that an EDC folder comes along that ejects, evicts and throws out heretofore beloved knives from my pocket like my latest acquisition: the CS American Lawman had. OMG - I found the holy grail.

This darned knife dethroned my Sebenza 25, handful of different iteration CQC-8s and some Spydercos! I thought it would never happen - but it did! Mind you, there is still a significant place in my universe for H1 and the CS Lawman won't be taken to those places where only H1 dares the tread, as in tread water! H1 and I connected and that connection exists in the Northern Caribbean, Florida Keys and other Atlantic brine. Because I like Mack DM800s as well as Dodge power Wagons, I of course have a speacial place in my heart for the Benchmade Adamas.

The fit, finish and relationship with CRK that I feel while carrying the Sebenza 25 will not be altered - likewise for my beloved Buck 110s that I have some very fond (and some not so fond ((although not because of the knife)) field memories with) as well as the wonderful RAT-1s that are, IMHO, the modern day Buck 110s, will remain part of my knife-life and my ZT 620 and 630 are two cherished knives but ... not for nothing, this CS American Lawman checks all of my boxes: reasonably priced, durable, reliable, strong as I will ever need and then some (OK, then much more so) ergonomic, sharp, great steel, great shape, great weight, perfectly sized EDC pocket knife! Did I mention the Triad lock?

I am not one for so-called Pocket Jewelry but prefer user tools that I'm not ashamed to carry and can count on. No gas station cheapos and nothing that I would not count on to perform when the task is out of the ordinary - but necessary. None of my knives qualify as high-end but the knives I own perform to the standards of my needs or they either never exist in my quiver or are gone. I appreciate value - and that does not always equate to lowest price. I like knives that punch above their weight ($) and deliver value/pleasure to my ownership experience.

Sorry for rambling but honest to goodness, this knife tripped my trigger like very, very few ever have.

oops - never mind...just noticed where this thread is. I'll look for the other one.

I posted this over in General Knife Discussion but thought it my be appreciated here. Other than an SRK, which I foolishly sold, a carbon steel Master Hunter (excellent hunting knife) and a bunch of Voyagers, which I really like - I am not a Cold Steel collector. What CS knives I have owned have been excellent performers providing great value. All of that being said, I thought I would share my thoughts on my new favorite EDC folder.

Oh my - this hasn't happened in a while!

I am not a particular Fan Boy of any particular brand; although I do own far more Beckers and Emersons than I could ever use.

That being said, it's not often that an EDC folder comes along that ejects, evicts and throws out heretofore beloved knives from my pocket like my latest acquisition: the CS American Lawman had. OMG - I found the holy grail.

This darned knife dethroned my Sebenza 25, handful of different iteration CQC-8s and some Spydercos! I thought it would never happen - but it did! Mind you, there is still a significant place in my universe for H1 and the CS Lawman won't be taken to those places where only H1 dares the tread, as in tread water! H1 and I connected and that connection exists in the Northern Caribbean, Florida Keys and other Atlantic brine. Because I like Mack DM800s as well as Dodge power Wagons, I of course have a speacial place in my heart for the Benchmade Adamas.

The fit, finish and relationship with CRK that I feel while carrying the Sebenza 25 will not be altered - likewise for my beloved Buck 110s that I have some very fond (and some not so fond ((although not because of the knife)) field memories with) as well as the wonderful RAT-1s that are, IMHO, the modern day Buck 110s, will remain part of my knife-life and my ZT 620 and 630 are two cherished knives but ... not for nothing, this CS American Lawman checks all of my boxes: reasonably priced, durable, reliable, strong as I will ever need and then some (OK, then much more so) ergonomic, sharp, great steel, great shape, great weight, perfectly sized EDC pocket knife! Did I mention the Triad lock?

I am not one for so-called Pocket Jewelry but prefer user tools that I'm not ashamed to carry and can count on. No gas station cheapos and nothing that I would not count on to perform when the task is out of the ordinary - but necessary. None of my knives qualify as high-end but the knives I own perform to the standards of my needs or they either never exist in my quiver or are gone. I appreciate value - and that does not always equate to lowest price. I like knives that punch above their weight ($) and deliver value/pleasure to my ownership experience.

Sorry for rambling but honest to goodness, this knife tripped my trigger like very, very few ever have.

I like your enthusiasm, and I understand it.

Nice post SALTY SALTY .

The American Lawman is likely my next knife.

I have 2 Recon 1’s that I love and just ordered a Rajah III.

I am really happy with Cold Steel quality and performance. They make good stuff and I am a big fan of Taiwanese knives in general. If it wasn’t for their terrible (IMO) marketing, I would have likely bought their knives ages ago. I am almost embarrassed I like them now, but they are really built for hard use.

I bought one a week or so ago and like it a lot. Looks/feels like a solid folding knife. The only complaint I have is how hard it is to disengage the lock bar, however, it does seem to be getting better. Either that or I've lost all feeling in my fingers.

I had the original American Lawman with coarse G-10, steel liners and AUS-8A steel. I sold it years ago for no particular reason.
I still remember stabbing it into a tree while hiking and taking a photo.
That was about 10 years ago and I was atop Mt. Hancock in the White Mountains of NH. It was early spring and I was surprised to find snow at higher elevation. That was the first 4000fter I climbed.
I've considered picking up the current generation with flat ground blade. I like the smoother G-10, the light weight and the upgraded steel.
I don't like how the handle became thinner and wider.
I think if I get one, I'll make the scales a bit narrower just beneath the front finger groove. In so doing, I expect I'll shrink the size of the finger groove and therefore will end up with a grip that's slightly closer to the pivot. The semi circle grip area behind the finger groove will become a bit flatter.
I enjoy modding my Cold Steels.

I love mine. I like the slim profile, barely notice it in my pocket. I switch between that and a Griptillian. Griptillian is smoother, but I feel the Lawman is stronger.

How are you liking the Snaggletooth?

The 3 I ordered recently were likely unfortunately lost in the mail, but the company seems like great folks after talking to them today and will definately fix me up if they are lost. :thumbsup:

How are you liking the Snaggletooth?

The 3 I ordered recently were likely unfortunately lost in the mail, but the company seems like great folks after talking to them today and will definately fix me up if they are lost. :thumbsup:

I love the STMF. Works great. Was easy to install and stays put. Got one on my Griptillian, and is awesome with the Axis Lock. Hope yours get found. Damn Post Office.

Is the actual "tooth" on the Snaggletooth plastic or metal?

I love the Snaggletooth, works well. If I had more knives with replaceable thumbstuds, I'd have equally more STMFs.

So the actual tooth is plastic but the blade-to-tooth interface piece is metal?

I did not put a magnet against either of the parts prior to installation but just by sight and feel thought perhaps that the tooth might have been plastic but the other piece was perhaps aluminium.

Either way, it functions as advertised; was just curious.

Hey Salty, I think the tooth is all plastic. The thumb stud they provide appears to be aluminum or some metal. Whatever it is, it works well for me. I have them on 3 knives and think they are great and well overdue. Can't believe nobody made these before.

Hey Salty, I think the tooth is all plastic. The thumb stud they provide appears to be aluminum or some metal. Whatever it is, it works well for me. I have them on 3 knives and think they are great and well overdue. Can't believe nobody made these before.
Correct. VERY hard plastic tooth and the screw and nut are metal.

Works great on my Griptilian. My Recon 1’s? Not so much as the thumb studs refuse to come off.

Yup, I have tried everything. No idea what thread locker they used, but there is no way they are coming off without a pair of wrenches and lots of blade scratching.

Correct. VERY hard plastic tooth and the screw and nut are metal.

Works great on my Griptilian. My Recon 1’s? Not so much as the thumb studs refuse to come off.

Yup, I have tried everything. No idea what thread locker they used, but there is no way they are coming off without a pair of wrenches and lots of blade scratching.
My buddies Recon 1 came off pretty easy. He used the tubing included in the kit with a set of vise grips and a good screwdriver.

Back