1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

American Tanto Cru Forge V (SOLD)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by samuraistuart, Jun 27, 2020.

1. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    When I was a kid, one of the very first knives that caught my eye was the Cold Steel American Tanto. It looked sleek and mean. I finally got my hands on the Magnum Tanto II and the Kobun, both great knives. I wanted to try my hand at making one, but wanted to use thinner stock and a full flat grind instead of the high saber grind. This knife is sort of a copy of the Kobun, but with better cutting/slicing in mind. It has a full flat (slightly convex) grind with thin edge geometry and hand rubbed satin finish. The guard is made from black g10 with a subtle inset ring. The handle is also made from black g10 and has the same "coke bottle" shape as the Kobun, as well as an aluminum lanyard hole that has been chamfered, deburred, and polished. The tube goes through the tang of the knife. The heat treat I gave this blade is top-notch. Normalized, multiple thermal cycles, a DET anneal, soak at the proper temp, fast oil quench, sub zero "cryo", and triple tempers for a final hardness of ~63HRC. I'm excited to offer this knife to you! If you're looking for that American Tanto tip but with better overall slicing performance, you've come to the right place.

OAL: 10 1/4"
    Blade: 5 1/2"
    Handle: 4 3/8"
    Steel: Crucible Cru Forge V 63HRC
    Thickness: 0.110"
    Guard and Handle: Black G10 with black micarta pin and aluminum lanyard tube
    Edge: 13° per side, 0.010" prior to sharpening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asking price is just SOLD and includes a custom made kydex sheath with metal belt/boot clip and free shipping anywhere in the USA. Paypal preferred ([email protected]). The knife, as always, comes with an unlimited lifetime "write your own" warranty. Thanks for taking a look and follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    954Ink, Bigfattyt, rpn and 14 others like this.
  2. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash

Feb 10, 2014
    I'll take this one. PM sent.

AntDog and willrise like this.
  3. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    One heck of a bargain, you wouldn’t have another one under the bench would you?

4. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    Wow. Kinda upset I missed this....

5. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Yeah, make a batch of those and count me in.

954Ink likes this.
  6. Juicytarget

Juicytarget

Mar 4, 2018
    Imagine making 200 bucks knives that would be worth twice this price

7. TRog

TRog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Very nice and slicy! Yes more please

8. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    SOLD to Bluearcflash! I will make more if there is this much interest!

fkctrjt121 likes this.
  9. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Honestly at that price I bet you could sell a ton.

andrewjschutz likes this.
  10. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash

Feb 10, 2014
    Payment sent. Thanks again

11. Krippendorf

Krippendorf Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I would definitely take one at that price and that steel.

12. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Great execution. I have a Kobun, and always wanted a better steel/handle combo.

Well done.

13. samuraistuart

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks guys. I'm wrapping up a few projects and will make another.