An Interactive WIP - Resurrecting an Old Bread Knife

Cushing H.

Gold Member
I'm interested in seeing if those bolsters stay on when you go to shape them. Soldering alone is pretty weak. I would drill two holes with a carbide bit and put in brass rivets.

I agree with the others that the pink liner is wrong. Use a dark red or black.

Not opening up the holes because you don't want to "take the time" is a poor excuse for not doing it right.
Wow Stacy ... that is pretty harsh. This is for my own use, and I am ok with 1/8” pins. Part of the hurry is other knives I need to attend to . The other part is that this is my only bread knife ... and I kind of need it back in service :)

Solder is considered to be pretty weak without pins? If they come off, then I’ll at a later time strip everything off and start over, which will be an opportunity for your larger pin holes

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It was not meant to be harsh. Sorry if it sounded that way.
It was a different way to say, It isn't OK to do a job "good enough" because it is for you. Good craftsmanship is doing it right every time, no matter who the final user is.
Same as the reason a good craftsman never says, "I was in a hurry so I skipped X and Y and just did Z."
I can't remember if it was Bill Moran or B.R.Hughes who said, "If you don't have the time to do it right, don't do it until you have the time."

Cushing H.

Gold Member
Stacy ... it is not a matter of “good enough”. I am OK with 1/8 pins. Would corbys be a better look? Sure. But so would gold (ok, ok, too soft). But the point is, not everything needs to be over the top. On this knife, adding the bolster and nice wood is in the scope of what I had in mind. If I wanted more ... I would have started from scratch. If anything less than “everything you can do” is considered “good enough”, then you are playing a losing game.

I won’t go in to specifics ...but I really don’t have the time. Please do not push more on that point, or judge me for taking that stand.