An issue with 'Dual Survival'

My reply was a bit tongue-in-cheek as all of the shows are ridiculous.

The most redeeming quality of cable television is that YOU have the power to change the channel .There is no reason you should be subjected to watching these so called idiots prancing about in the wilderness if you don't want to ... I'm just sayin' :D

From Dave's site -

DSCN0639.jpg

As you can see, everything's brimming with "bromance" ;) :D

I like all of the shows (never watched Mears yet). It's entertainment people, not a survival class. The general theme of the shows is much more interesting to me than 95% of the other trash or "reality" shows on TV.

I watched the first couple seasons of Survivor then quit. The rest of my family is pretty much hooked on it though. Each episode is like the Super Bowl is on. :jerkit:

I told them that I'd watch it again when they quit giving them food and supplies, and they have to eat someone to survive. :D

Cody going "Bee dumb-ass, experience dumb-ass consequences" cutting to Dave going "auu auu auu their in my face" was pretty damn funny.

Cody going "Bee dumb-ass, experience dumb-ass consequences" cutting to Dave going "auu auu auu their in my face" was pretty damn funny.

+1 lol I just watched that episode and can't stop laughing. Don't get me wrong though... I think Dave has lots of skills and learn a lot from his stuff. But it was funny. One for the "bush hippy" :thumbup::p

Hehe thats the thing about "Risk vs. Reward" at times you get more risk then reward.
I think the show gets better the more episodes I see

Yeah, Dave's whole bee stunt was pretty stupid and a waste of time and resources. He's lucky it didn't end up with him seriously debilitated.

Cody was definitely on a roll with that episode. I wonder if there was anyone watching that that couldn't have predicted multiple stings for Mr. Dave.

Dave has been a tool in most of the shows. I hope he's just listening too much to producer.

I don't know, sometimes these show just makes me want to go barefooted into the woods and baton my M-Tool with a rock so I can make a spear to get some honey.:rolleyes:

On the other hand these guys are getting payed to do what most guys here would pay to do. One thing is for sure they know alot more about survival and bush craft, then I ever will. So do pretty much every poster here :eek:

Still I'll poke fun of them from my armchair ;)

I learned quite a lot from Cody and Dave long before this series ever came about. So, I was quite excited to see them put together in a show. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed, because to be honest, they are doing a lot of stuff “for TV.” That doesn’t mean that I am going to stop watching it though, as I still pick up little things here and there.

I recently had the opportunity to attend Dave’s “pathfinder” gathering. If you are interested in hearing more about that, I actually wrote about it for Woodsmonkey. Here is the article.

At that gathering, Dave gave some of his thoughts on securing food sources. Now, long ago, I think I had a set of unrealistic priorities (like many do) with too much thought about food. I used to carry a fishing kit, a couple extra cable snares, etc. Then, I came to the realization that in your typical 72 hour survival type scenario, food was not even really necessary. My “day kit” was of course modified accordingly. For the longest time, my thoughts on food echoed Ken’s comment:

I think it was already covered as a basic critique of Dual Survivor as well as Man/Woman Wild. As a recommended survival strategy these shows place far too much emphasis on getting food. Plus the actors are far too successful at getting food given that they are placed in unknown circumstances. I rarely encounter the amount of wildlife they actually catch in their shows and this gives a false impression of priorities and probability of success in pursuing game.

Dave commented on this, and also had other demonstrations that have again caused me to change my thinking regarding food. Trying to paraphrase what he said, it was basically like this.

We all probably eat a little more food that we should. It is just part of our lifestyle. If you go 24-48 hours without food, you will be alive….sure. But, you are going to be miserable, irritable, cranky, and start exhibiting poor judgment. Judgment that can get you in trouble. Rather than not worry about food at all, why not focus on some easy to gather, low risk food sources. Such as gigging frogs, catching small fish, etc.

Remember, these are all my words, and I am just trying to catch the gist of what Dave was saying.

The approach of gathering grubs and such (like Cody does) is feasible, but as the narrator mentioned, it would take 500 to make a meal! That is a LOT.

Dave even emphasized that you want to 3 inch bluegill, not the 10 pound bass. It is the easy to acquire small things that are going to add up for you. Also, there is the possibility of setting some low energy tribal type traps that do not require all the intricate notch carving that we are all accustomed to seeing. Break a few sticks, set a few traps, and try your luck on rabbit and smaller sized game (forget about hogs and such :)

What it comes down to (for me) is that I have learned a few key things, that along with a couple key items (that weight either nothing, or require nothing) that can allow me to focus on low energy acquisition of food. And I am very grateful that I learned it.

Long way of saying, it is TV. One thing I learned from the gathering is that there is a huge difference between the TV Dave and the real Dave. Unfortunately, he is not the one that will be able to explain this because he is not able to make YouTube videos for a period of years because of this series.

As much complaining as there is going on, I really think everyone enjoys the drama. If Dave had not gone after those bees, what would we be talking about? :) It would have been rather boring for them to say “Look a bee hive. Let’s go back to camp and sit.” We would be all talking about how they didn’t do anything exciting :)

I have no insight to what is going on during filming, but I can speculate. And recklessly at that! :) Because of the warning statement at the beginning of the show, you know there has to be medical staff right there with them, and air lift staff on call (as evident by Bear’s recent incident). There is not as much danger as we would all like to believe. Yes, the bee/honey thing was not wise, and I personally do not think Dave would do that if alone in the same situation. Yes, a lot of bad things could have happened. They were all mentioned, and noted. But, this is TV and entertainment. Hell, if I had that kind of support staff around me, I would have done it! :)

Learning from mistakes is much more powerful than everything going smooth. If everything were perfect, we would all nod our heads and say “this is easy.” False sense of confidence.

As a final point showing that we all like the drama, does anyone realized that you missed something HUGE in this last episode? Probably because it is not dramatic, common sense, and honestly taken for granted. But, I thought it was a very powerful thing.

During the pathfinder gathering, Dave talked about his 5 C’s. I was not going to mention it anywhere, because if it was a part of the learning system he sells, I didn’t want to let it out. But, he already did on the show, so I figured it is fair game :)

Dave talks about what you should carry with you, and has his 5 C’s as mentioned on the show. Now, everyone else teaches “10 Essentials” or some variation on that. The problem I have always had with the “10 Essentials” is that it ends up adding up to a lot of stuff.

If I go out for a little day hike, or to my favorite fishing pond, the 10 essentials seems like so overkill that I am pretending to play Rambo or something. So, a few of the 10 get left behind. Now Dave is not saying anything bad about the 10 Essentials. In fact, his system talks about 10 C’s (which I don’t know anything about because I am not a part of the system and that much info was not shared). But the 5 C’s were the things that should ABSOLUTELY be carried with you as a minimum.

If the show went to fast, they were Cutting Tool, Container, Combustion device, Cover and Cordage.

The reason these were selected is because priority number one is maintaining your bodies core temperature. All of these can help you do that in some way or another. Further, they can be recreated in the field, but take tremendous time and energy to do so. For example, lots of us know how to make cordage. Go sit down one day and see how long it takes you to come up with 100 feet of it! If you do that, you will carry some extra cordage with you.

Let’s talk about a couple of these items for a few. I don’t think I really need to dwell on cutting tool. Container: Metal container. If you are going to carry one, make sure you can boil in it (water purification), possibly cook in it, make char cloth, etc. Sure you can boil in a nalgene, but how many times. You can add a cup to the bottom, but now you have 6 things! :) He was talking about the minimum stuff you should have at all times. Not the ONLY outdoor kit you should ever have. Add to it if you like, but we are talking minimum here. Combustion: Dave always recommends a method of sure fire. If anything the show has shown, hopefully that friction fire is tough, so why rely only on it. Again, that doesn't mean don't learn bow and hand drills. It means carry sure fire as one of your things on you at all time, and hopefully conserve some energy. We all know the show would be boring if Dave or Cory whipped out a bic that was inside a plastic bag. Cordage: I think I covered that one. Uses for cordage beyond shelter are fishing lures, setting traps, fishing lines or trot lines, etc. Cover: includes the things on your back, but should include anticipated weather changes, or improvising an emergency shelter.

To me, this system is really cool. Because instead of having a kit of “10 essentials” which I know I will leave half of it home when I take the kids to the local fishing pond. I have a small “5C” kit that fits on my water bottle holder (which I have with me 100% of the time). Not to say that I won’t carry more stuff for different purposes, but this is a minimum set of kit that I can guarantee having all of it at ALL times :)

Any thoughts on the 5 C's Dave mentioned?

After all this, that does not mean that I think the show is perfect or anything. I am still waiting for Discovery to produce a Non-American needed drama, real, yet interesting show on skills of first nations people all over the world. Basically a US version of Ray Mears on Discovery would be great. Discovery needs to learn that we don't need all the drama for a good show. But I honestly think that is catering to us 5% of the population and not a popular sell to the folks making the $$$ decisions.

Last edited:
Their interplay - when divergent views are presented - are better handled than the husband/wife team before them. I enjoy the interplay on Dual Survivor - hunter vs hippy survivor goes over better than the guy telling his wife 'he knows best' all of the time. They will need a marriage counselor before the season is over. I still miss Les Stroud. Grylls, well, he is entertainment... some times. I hope the survivor duets last.

About the 'Survivor' series - my wife won't miss it - and is totally upset since they announced the fall change to Wed night - her church night. I'll have to DVR it and let her rerun it when she gets home - I won't watch that show.

Stainz

They are the Odd Couple of survival. I find the show entertaining. These guys are funny together. There are some good things to take out of the show. The rest I look at as pure entertainment.

I feel like this show is going downhill. Last three episodes have pretty much been recycled (with a few new tidbits thrown in) but in different environments - they always find a river or ocean. Dave always gets that big piece of meat. And, if they spend another 15-minutes talking about Cody walking barefoot next Friday, I'll turn the channel.

Dang. So much potential with this show.

:grumpy:

Here is what Cody said on the topic:

"...big city producers and the networks themselves haven’t a clue about what real wilderness survival skills entail, and the proof is in their over-the-top yet shallow programming. Real survival can be boring, which is unacceptable for TV..."

I agree totally. This is why Les sitting and talking about how damned hungry he was for minutes on television RIVETED me (and reminded me about how hard survival is) - but probably bored the masses.

This comment I also found to be relevant:

"In short, watch the show, laugh, and learn a survival trick or two. But…never, ever base your emergency preparedness plan on a television show."

Concerning the most recent show I saw - I learned a lot from Cody and Dave. I think we forget is that we know a lot of this stuff - but the average Joe does not:

1) When making a sign for someone to find - make it a contrasting color - go for height - look for an open spot - and make it move. Cody did this in multiple places.
2) When scanning the horizon for someone or signs of anything - break it up. Dave used his hands to break up the horizon.
3) How to use an altimeter (or a watch) as a way of finding south.
4) How to make clean water with just a clear trash bag.
5) How to use an Agave stalk and a fire coal to make a water catcher.
6) How to skin a snake.
7) Snake heads are venomous after they are dead.
8) To look to rocks for a cutting tool.
9) To use a pointed stick to help cut into an Agave stalk.
10) The five C's of what gear to carry: "Cutting Tool, Container, Combustion device, Cover and Cordage."
11) Cody is a flat out bad ass with a hand drill (two strokes and he had a HUGE coal!).

TF

Last edited:
I learned quite a lot from Cody and Dave long before this series ever came about. So, I was quite excited to see them put together in a show. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed, because to be honest, they are doing a lot of stuff “for TV.” That doesn’t mean that I am going to stop watching it though, as I still pick up little things here and there.

I recently had the opportunity to attend Dave’s “pathfinder” gathering. If you are interested in hearing more about that, I actually wrote about it for Woodsmonkey. Here is the article.

At that gathering, Dave gave some of his thoughts on securing food sources. Now, long ago, I think I had a set of unrealistic priorities (like many do) with too much thought about food. I used to carry a fishing kit, a couple extra cable snares, etc. Then, I came to the realization that in your typical 72 hour survival type scenario, food was not even really necessary. My “day kit” was of course modified accordingly. For the longest time, my thoughts on food echoed Ken’s comment:

Dave commented on this, and also had other demonstrations that have again caused me to change my thinking regarding food. Trying to paraphrase what he said, it was basically like this.

We all probably eat a little more food that we should. It is just part of our lifestyle. If you go 24-48 hours without food, you will be alive….sure. But, you are going to be miserable, irritable, cranky, and start exhibiting poor judgment. Judgment that can get you in trouble. Rather than not worry about food at all, why not focus on some easy to gather, low risk food sources. Such as gigging frogs, catching small fish, etc.

Remember, these are all my words, and I am just trying to catch the gist of what Dave was saying.

The approach of gathering grubs and such (like Cody does) is feasible, but as the narrator mentioned, it would take 500 to make a meal! That is a LOT.

Dave even emphasized that you want to 3 inch bluegill, not the 10 pound bass. It is the easy to acquire small things that are going to add up for you. Also, there is the possibility of setting some low energy tribal type traps that do not require all the intricate notch carving that we are all accustomed to seeing. Break a few sticks, set a few traps, and try your luck on rabbit and smaller sized game (forget about hogs and such :)

What it comes down to (for me) is that I have learned a few key things, that along with a couple key items (that weight either nothing, or require nothing) that can allow me to focus on low energy acquisition of food. And I am very grateful that I learned it.

Long way of saying, it is TV. One thing I learned from the gathering is that there is a huge difference between the TV Dave and the real Dave. Unfortunately, he is not the one that will be able to explain this because he is not able to make YouTube videos for a period of years because of this series.

As much complaining as there is going on, I really think everyone enjoys the drama. If Dave had not gone after those bees, what would we be talking about? :) It would have been rather boring for them to say “Look a bee hive. Let’s go back to camp and sit.” We would be all talking about how they didn’t do anything exciting :)

I have no insight to what is going on during filming, but I can speculate. And recklessly at that! :) Because of the warning statement at the beginning of the show, you know there has to be medical staff right there with them, and air lift staff on call (as evident by Bear’s recent incident). There is not as much danger as we would all like to believe. Yes, the bee/honey thing was not wise, and I personally do not think Dave would do that if alone in the same situation. Yes, a lot of bad things could have happened. They were all mentioned, and noted. But, this is TV and entertainment. Hell, if I had that kind of support staff around me, I would have done it! :)

Learning from mistakes is much more powerful than everything going smooth. If everything were perfect, we would all nod our heads and say “this is easy.” False sense of confidence.

As a final point showing that we all like the drama, does anyone realized that you missed something HUGE in this last episode? Probably because it is not dramatic, common sense, and honestly taken for granted. But, I thought it was a very powerful thing.

During the pathfinder gathering, Dave talked about his 5 C’s. I was not going to mention it anywhere, because if it was a part of the learning system he sells, I didn’t want to let it out. But, he already did on the show, so I figured it is fair game :)

Dave talks about what you should carry with you, and has his 5 C’s as mentioned on the show. Now, everyone else teaches “10 Essentials” or some variation on that. The problem I have always had with the “10 Essentials” is that it ends up adding up to a lot of stuff.

If I go out for a little day hike, or to my favorite fishing pond, the 10 essentials seems like so overkill that I am pretending to play Rambo or something. So, a few of the 10 get left behind. Now Dave is not saying anything bad about the 10 Essentials. In fact, his system talks about 10 C’s (which I don’t know anything about because I am not a part of the system and that much info was not shared). But the 5 C’s were the things that should ABSOLUTELY be carried with you as a minimum.

If the show went to fast, they were Cutting Tool, Container, Combustion device, Cover and Cordage.

The reason these were selected is because priority number one is maintaining your bodies core temperature. All of these can help you do that in some way or another. Further, they can be recreated in the field, but take tremendous time and energy to do so. For example, lots of us know how to make cordage. Go sit down one day and see how long it takes you to come up with 100 feet of it! If you do that, you will carry some extra cordage with you.

Let’s talk about a couple of these items for a few. I don’t think I really need to dwell on cutting tool. Container: Metal container. If you are going to carry one, make sure you can boil in it (water purification), possibly cook in it, make char cloth, etc. Sure you can boil in a nalgene, but how many times. You can add a cup to the bottom, but now you have 6 things! :) He was talking about the minimum stuff you should have at all times. Not the ONLY outdoor kit you should ever have. Add to it if you like, but we are talking minimum here. Combustion: Dave always recommends a method of sure fire. If anything the show has shown, hopefully that friction fire is tough, so why rely only on it. Again, that doesn't mean don't learn bow and hand drills. It means carry sure fire as one of your things on you at all time, and hopefully conserve some energy. We all know the show would be boring if Dave or Cory whipped out a bic that was inside a plastic bag. Cordage: I think I covered that one. Uses for cordage beyond shelter are fishing lures, setting traps, fishing lines or trot lines, etc. Cover: includes the things on your back, but should include anticipated weather changes, or improvising an emergency shelter.

To me, this system is really cool. Because instead of having a kit of “10 essentials” which I know I will leave half of it home when I take the kids to the local fishing pond. I have a small “5C” kit that fits on my water bottle holder (which I have with me 100% of the time). Not to say that I won’t carry more stuff for different purposes, but this is a minimum set of kit that I can guarantee having all of it at ALL times :)

Any thoughts on the 5 C's Dave mentioned?

After all this, that does not mean that I think the show is perfect or anything. I am still waiting for Discovery to produce a Non-American needed drama, real, yet interesting show on skills of first nations people all over the world. Basically a US version of Ray Mears on Discovery would be great. Discovery needs to learn that we don't need all the drama for a good show. But I honestly think that is catering to us 5% of the population and not a popular sell to the folks making the $$$ decisions.

Great post. I watched that show last night on youtube. I noticed the 5 C's and thought it made a lot of sense. While much of the show appears staged or set up to demonstraight things you can tell Dave knows his stuff.

Dave and Cody were careless in Friday evening's show. Dave, obviously, should have avoided the bee hive. One never knows which bee/yellow jacket, etc, sting is the last one you can handle before going into shock. It's okay for 'Billy, the Exterminator' to play with bees - he is minutes away from an ER. Knowing my allergies, I carry Benadryl with me in the boonies.

Cody, in my opinion, should have removed more than the stinger tip on those scorpions before poping them in his mouth - the poisons are made up of enzymes in the tail. Sure, stomach acid will take care of it - but a scratched lip, bleeding gum, etc, and you could potentially have problems. I liked Cody's 'Why mess with something that can hurt you?' comment.

Love the show - won't miss it - or the other duet, either. Friday evenings - yeah! I previously watched J. L.-H. in 'Ghost Whisperer' - with the sound all the way down - now there is something better!

Stainz

I also think there is an over-emphasis on food given the length of their scenarios.

I wonder if Dave focuses on meat because he has Cody for a partner? My wife and I just found this show and we have watched the Louisiana and Arizona episodes. We both noticed that there seems to be a division of labor. Dave will go out and get the food, while Cody stays behind and makes camp and starts the fire. I know that this is all edited television, but it seems to me that Cody is a bit more skilled when it comes to creating fire. If you were Dave would you stick around when Cody obviously doesn't need your help, or would you go find something to eat?

Back