...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Just got the tracking number for my ebony 97 and I'll be away. Oh well, something to look forward to.

Well there it is! Not sure it would have been my choice of handle material... probably would have preferred the look of ebony, stag, and yellow bone.

Still, at least it's unique.

I really like the bear shield, anyone know if Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors has used the shield before?

They have used it a lot. GEC just didn't want to use it on the abalone of last year's knife.

A number of people have talked about light pull and or weak snap on these knives, must say this comes as a surprise. I would think a large knife would be better off with a heavier spring a) You've got more blade to hold on to when opening, plus that forward nail nick which would suggest it's there because of a heavy action. It's cosmetic then. b) You would not want a big blade to close on you with too much ease, frankly dangerous. Sounds like soft pull and snap are more of a lockback type of thing, I suspect this big knife would be better suited to this construction as well.

second 97 in ebony, just as nice as first and very nice wood

View attachment 1106809 View attachment 1106810
To me getting Gabon Ebony is luck of the draw, I've had black mixed with brown and tan and I prefer true black. Your first 97 sounds nice, I see what you're saying about the color but your second 97 looks real sweet. I got gun shy and haven't pulled the trigger ordering mine yet. Nice pictures.

97 CC African Blackwood sure did raise my eyebrows, I hope I get in, I've had better luck with true black with this one.

wish it came with just one pull, the long pull only,

9E5DMwm.jpg

Charlie convince Bill to take the nail nick off for your run :D:D:D

Got mine today. Beautiful knife, great wood, nice fit and finish. The pull is too light for a big knife. For the price I'm not complaining.
dXNTgWw.jpg

Hey Rob, nice knife, how does the pull compare to your old one? The old one I have has about the same pull as the 97.

Back