...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

that was my plan, but If this is common I didn't want to waste there time, or mine. The couple videos I've seen the finish seemed quite nicely done.

Besides the very light etch and the overall poor finish, the area I've outlined has a milky/cloudy surface that is a fairly stark contrast to the rest of the blade.

yOXMhMd.jpg

Before I got active here I had been captivated by Great Eastern Cutlery knives, about a year ago. I have bought and sold a few and have a very modest collection, nearly all users. When I learned about the 97s and saw a photo of a Yellow Rose, I ordered one immediately. After it came, I grabbed a Northfield Gabon Ebony just because I was so impressed with the quality of the Yellow Rose. They are both superlative examples of Great Eastern Cutlery quality.

I think the pull and action on mine are fine. I am very cautious with how I use a knife, preferring to remain within the design parameters even with a locking blade. I won’t be dressing deer or stabbing anything with my 97s. I suspect the lighter pull is a traditional characteristic anyway and likely also due to the long spring.

I have carried my 97s in my pocket with no issues. Kind of forget it is there after a while. I did order a GEC large belt sheath for those times I have too many other knives and vitally important gear :)stuffed in my pockets.

It has been very interesting and informative to read through this thread. I appreciate all of the information and critiques available. Makes me a more knowledgeable knife nut.

20190705_094220-01.jpeg Thought I had missed out on the Waynorth Version when low and behold a dealer listed a couple singles and I was able to grab one of them. It's just wonderful and the pull is just fine in my opinion for a knife this size. The Shield is perfect and I'm just tickled all around to have it. Thanks GEC and Charlie @waynorth for this version. :)

Is that symetrical jigging with symetrical Indian Trails? Indian Trails, more like I-70 from St. Louis to KC.......:rolleyes:

You will find that, like cocobolo, african blackwood often darkens significantly over time. If it gets regular carry and use, in a few years it may well be as black as the ebony. And really high quality african blackwood that is pitch black often has a purplish cast.
lambertiana, you sound very knowledgeable about knife scales, does oak stain very easily and darken with use over time. I have a knife with oak scales that seems to stain with use and carry.

lambertiana, you sound very knowledgeable about knife scales, does oak stain very easily and darken with use over time. I have a knife with oak scales that seems to stain with use and carry.

I don't have any personal experience with oak so I can't say for sure. Since oak has large open grain and no significant natural oils, I would imagine that it would pick up stains and darken quite easily. If it is stabilized it would probably not do this.

I don't have any personal experience with oak so I can't say for sure. Since oak has large open grain and no significant natural oils, I would imagine that it would pick up stains and darken quite easily. If it is stabilized it would probably not do this.
Thanks very much.:thumbsup:. Have a good week.

iL5DfE7.jpg

My first 97,hopefully not my last;) I have been admiring all the 97's posted here and elsewhere. I like the looks of the full flat grind a bit better than the saber, so when this came up on the exchange I was like o_O. To be honest though even though it was a good deal IMO, I hesitated because my truck needed attention. Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought and a 37 dollar pitman arm and couple hours of doing the work myself saved some coin. Then I thought "Its probably been snatched up by now, GEC usually doesn't set long on the exchange" but I told myself if it was still available it was meant to be mine. Well thanks to everyone who passed up this one:p it was meant for me anyways ;)
Also thanks to black mamba black mamba , one, for putting it up for sale,and two, for making the deal easy and smooth, and was willing to wait until I had the funds tranfered to the prepaid card I use. Top notch experience :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
iL5DfE7.jpg

My first 97,hopefully not my last;) I have been admiring all the 97's posted here and elsewhere. I like the looks of the full flat grind a bit better than the saber, so when this came up on the exchange I was like o_O. To be honest though even though it was a good deal IMO, I hesitated because my truck needed attention. Turns out it was as bad as i thought and a 37 dollar pitman arm and couple hours of doing the work myself saved some coin. Then I thought "Its probably been snatched up by now, GEC usually doesn't set long on the exchange" but I told myself if it was still available it was meant to be mine. Well thanks to everyone who passed up this one:p it was meant for me anyways ;)
Also thanks to black mamba black mamba , one, for putting it up for sale,and two, for making the deal easy and smooth, and was willing to wait until I had the funds tranfered to the prepaid card I use. Top notch experience :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Nice get.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back