Anniversary knife

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
So, 2/27 will mark 30 years brain tumor free. I was 11. I figure I should celebrate with a knife for going under the knife. I'm thinking $400 max.

I'd prefer a wharncliffe or semi-straight edge.
Flipper, front flipper, or hole opener.
No thumbstud.
No metal handles unless its a bolster.
Not made in China.
No G-10 or FRN. Prefer Micarta, CF, Wood, or other unique materials.

No CRK, RHK, Strider, etc.

3-3.5"blade.

Blade steel is not especially important.

EDIT:

What I have currently:

Brous Bionic
TSF Beast
SG Spider Monkey
Spyderco Yojimbo 2, Manix 2, PM2, PM3 lightweight, GB1, Domino
Civivi McKenna
WE Deacon
Massdrop Gent Select CF
Kizer Ki423
A Purvis Progeny
ZT 0095 BLK S90V
Bailey Model 2 Geek edition
Hogue Exploit
Heretic Manticore E
Brian Tighe and Friends Twist Tighe
Kershaw Launch 8
Two Case traditionals, Becker BK5

Thanks y'all! I doubt I'll live another 30 years, but here's hoping. I may also get a new tattoo.

Last edited:
Congrats brother. Happy anniversary. I certainly hope you do live another 30 years, and that they are healthy and happy.

Keep'em sharp my friend

Velitrius here, Shaman Emeritus of the Terrible Ironic Horde, and commemorator of commemorations.

This is legit! So much so that I have been burning up the interwebs trying to find something cool enough to be an appropriate commemorative.

Apparently there isn't one. But this is neat... BladeGallery: Fine handmade custom knives, art knives, swords, daggers

Not a big ZT fan, and this isn't a flipper (got a damn nail nick FFS) but it's along the lines of what you were after.

But I'm not gonna give up... I've not yet begun to shop! Somewhere out there is a thing that will make you go OOOOHHH!

And I will find it.....

Okay, I'm BACK! And I have a couple ideas.

Nothing epitomizes "Wharncliffe Flipper" like the Kershaw Leek, and nobody does "other unique materials" like those lovable, creative hippies at Santa Fe Stoneworks. So feast your eyes on their modded Leek collection! Something in a mammoth tooth and Damascus is just something you don't see every day.

Kershaw Leek Knives – Santa Fe Stoneworks

They have a TON of variations, so click on each of their collections. Might even give them a call and see if they can brew you one up to your specs. The knife and their embellishments are all done here in the U.S. of A.

Last edited:
Well, I got a Sebbie 21 to commemorate my new hip (turned out to be state-of-the-art ceramic, not titanium as I anticipated the hip would be, but what the heck...)... lotsa custom options available. Buena fortuna!

I found it - maserin am5 with cf & maple burl with m390 blade... just a bit under $300
it's really eye catching and looks like a great slicer

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL21hc2VyaW4vaW1hZ2VzL01FMzc1UlJfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDc2MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

So, 2/27 will mark 30 years brain tumor free. I was 11. I figure I should celebrate with a knife for going under the knife. I'm thinking $400 max.

No thumbstud.
Not made in China.

3-3.5"blade.

Thanks y'all! I doubt I'll live another 30 years, but here's hoping. I may also get a new tattoo.
No suggestions, but go you! Here's hoping to a MINIMUM of another 30 years

Velitrius here, Shaman Emeritus of the Terrible Ironic Horde, and commemorator of commemorations.

This is legit! So much so that I have been burning up the interwebs trying to find something cool enough to be an appropriate commemorative.

Apparently there isn't one. But this is neat... BladeGallery: Fine handmade custom knives, art knives, swords, daggers

Not a big ZT fan, and this isn't a flipper (got a damn nail nick FFS) but it's along the lines of what you were after.

But I'm not gonna give up... I've not yet begun to shop! Somewhere out there is a thing that will make you go OOOOHHH!

And I will find it.....

Okay, I'm BACK! And I have a couple ideas.

Nothing epitomizes "Wharncliffe Flipper" like the Kershaw Leek, and nobody does "other unique materials" like those lovable, creative hippies at Santa Fe Stoneworks. So feast your eyes on their modded Leek collection! Something in a mammoth tooth and Damascus is just something you don't see every day.

Kershaw Leek Knives – Santa Fe Stoneworks

They have a TON of variations, so click on each of their collections. Might even give them a call and see if they can brew you one up to your specs. The knife and their embellishments are all done here in the U.S. of A.

"Reaches through the screen and slaps Velitrius"

I've had a leek, not interested. However, you and your bladegallery turned me on to a knife that is twice what I was originally willing to spend! How do I justify...$775!

"Reaches through the screen and slaps Velitrius"

I've had a leek, not interested. However, you and your bladegallery turned me on to a knife that is twice what I was originally willing to spend! How do I justify...$775!

It's a mere $25 for each year that you are commemorating. Easy peasy.

Have a big BBQ, have your guests BYOB and specify canned beer, collect empty cans in designated can, recycle cans... there's this year's $25.

If I had a nickel for every time somebody reached through this screen to slap me, I'd buy that knife for you, Bruddah.

Oh, and D dirc is on to something with that Maserin. They make a smaller one too...

Maserin AM-3 with Carbon Fiber | AGRussell.com

About the Maserin...

I bought an AM-4 a year and a half ago, and had some issues. It did not flip particularly well, I didn't like the pocket clip, and the handle was very chunky for such a thin blade. Maybe I got a bad example, but even so I've on and off eyed the AM-5.

Glad you beat the tumor, that had to have been a really scary and awful time.

A Yojimbo fits the bill, but you may want something a little fancier than that. Maybe a sprint run with upgraded scales if you can find one?

Personally, I wish I knew of an updated version of the Case Wharncliffe Copperlock. Beautiful design but not one hand opening, and likely won't perform as well as something more modern.

F Cancer! That's a serious fight at such a young age.

Hmm... the list of specifications narrows it down quite a bit without going full on custom.

Only thing I can think of are any variations of the Viper Knives Novis. Only caveat is no clip (clip requirement wasn't explicitly stated, though, I would surmise a clip is a must). I also don't own one so I can say anything about it personally. However, it pretty much fits everything you're looking for.

Well, if you are going to survive another 30, perhaps you need this Timberline Survival Folder.

Timberline Knives Survival Folder - KLC14409 | Cutting Edge

Always wanted one of these and never got myself one.

Also, William Henry makes a cool piece. Everybody likes a W&H! Check this one out...

William Henry A200-1E Folding Knife - 2.63" Blade & Kirinite Handle + Free Shipping (knifeart.com)

It's got that blank shield there that you can personalize, like "1991-2021" or such.

Got a thumb stud though... so I'll keep digging...

Last edited:
Ok, so I really like the Viper Novis, except the lack of a clip. Anyone out there who could drill and install a clip?

I keep my wallet and car fob in my right pocket, so that makes pocket carry cumbersome. I keep my big ass LG G8X in the left pocket.

Last edited:
Congrats on defeating it, sorry I'm a bit late saying so. :) Seriously though congrats.

20210110_200856.jpg Not exactly your specs but check out the Sandrin Dellatorre. Designed like a Ferrari, but a lot cheaper ($300)

Ok, so I really like the Viper Novis, except the lack of a clip. Anyone out there who could drill and install a clip?

I keep my wallet and car fob in my right pocket, so that makes pocket carry cumbersome. I keep my big ass LG G8X in the left pocket.

You and me the same. The lack of pocket me is what's holding me back (well, that and I'd want the liners, clip, and backspacer to be Ti).

I just don't get why they didn't include one of their backspacer-attached, deep-carry clips (like on their Lille model). That really would have been a super simple solution to allow both sheath carry and pocket clip carry while not breaking up the scales with unnecessary holes if they were gonna have ambi-carry.

Another thing you could try is MKM's magnet leather slip sheath. That would at least keep the sheath near the mouth of a pocket.

Last edited:
I don't have an idea...yet...but I wanted to offer my congrats on beating cancer and best wishes for the next 30 years.

I’ve had good luck using these TEC clips on clip-less knives...they work on anything that has a lanyard hole or a loop.

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck using these TEC clips on clip-less knives...they work on anything that has a lanyard hole or a loop.
View attachment 1512418

Shank you very much. :D I may do that.

Turns out my mom wants to get me a knife so if I can find one, I'm gonna get an MKM Raut in cf. So I'll be getting two knives, both Italian. Figures since I'm half Italian.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2

Disregard, it looks like you may have a GB1 already.

No thumbstud.
Not made in China.

3-3.5"blade.

EDIT:

What I have currently:

Brous Bionic
TSF Beast
SG Spider Monkey
Spyderco Yojimbo 2, Manix 2, PM2, PM3 lightweight, GB1, Domino
Civivi McKenna
WE Deacon
Massdrop Gent Select CF
Kizer Ki423
A Purvis Progeny
ZT 0095 BLK S90V
Bailey Model 2 Geek edition
Hogue Exploit
Heretic Manticore E
Brian Tighe and Friends Twist Tighe
Kershaw Launch 8
Two Case traditionals, Becker BK5

Back