ANNOUNCING - Fiddleback Forge Machete's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dibs on an 18er?

I've got a horrible stand of massive agave (some as tall as 8') waiting to get chopped to hell. I need this tool! I'll review and take pictures!

Hey, Brewcity, please let me know if that tip comes through that sheath!

Hey y'all here are some pics of Dylan and I testing out the lineup on some seasoned and frozen Hickory!

Pretty Model.

20110112100_3762-vi.jpg

The knives all bit really deeply into the wood. Suprising. Its hard as snot. Really didn't take a lot of effort to chop through this branch. This is a thick hickory limb I took down a few years ago and keep around for testing.

20110112100_3765-vi.jpg

Dylan going at it.

20110112100_3782-vi.jpg

More pretty model pics.

20110112100_3784-vi.jpg

18" Machete on the snow.

20110112100_3801-vi.jpg

12" er hanging out on the snow

20110112100_3802-vi.jpg

16" knife finishing off some work.

20110112100_3803-vi.jpg

The pics are great. Did you find any major differences between the various lengths? 18" seems like a bit much, though 16" isn't much shorter.

Hey, Brewcity, please let me know if that tip comes through that sheath!

Doesn't look like it will be a problem, Andy. It fits pretty snug, and the sheath seems to have just the right amount of padding. If anything changes, I'll keep everybody posted.

Ok thats north GA. and snow. Need to send them to me south of you and see how they hold up in this weather :)

So the sizes are by blade length?

How long are the handles?

Can I pre-pay for one of the next batch to be finished? ;)

I have 100 14's. There will be plenty. Actually during the making of this batch, I can't deny how much I like that knife. They're all really good though. Really good.

Andy, I was apparently too slow to get in on the first 14's. What will offerings of the rest look like? Just up for sale now an then as you get batch handles done? Or will you be taking orders at some point?

The pics are great. Did you find any major differences between the various lengths? 18" seems like a bit much, though 16" isn't much shorter.

I thought the 18"er was the best, but of course you are getting a lot more momentum at the sweet spot and I prefer longer machetes for tough jobs anyway. ...and believe me, there's NOTHING easy about hacking through frozen seasoned hickory. It had plenty of knots and was hard as a rock. I was very surprised at how far those machetes bit in. Andy has tweaked the blade thicknesses a few times now, searching for the perfect one, and I think he found it. As far as a backpackable machete, that 12 is the bomb diggity! I have one and I love it. If I'm throwing one in the truck or picking one to use for heavy work on the regular, I'd get the 18"er. If I'm looking for a woodsbumming machete that fits in my backpack and is still an unbelieveable workhorse, the 12"er will knock your socks off.

Are those's brass or steel pins

Stainless Steel

1) So the sizes are by blade length?

2) How long are the handles?

3) Can I pre-pay for one of the next batch to be finished? ;)

1) Yes.

2) About 6"

3) Andy will have to answer that one.

Last edited:
I thought the 18"er was the best, but of course you are getting a lot more momentum at the sweet spot and I prefer longer machetes for tough jobs anyway. ...and believe me, there's NOTHING easy about hacking through frozen seasoned hickory. It had plenty of knots and was hard as a rock. I was very surprised at how far those machetes bit in. Andy has tweaked the balde thicknesses a few times now, searching for the perfect one, and I think he found it. As far as a backpackable machete, that 12 is the bomb diggity! I have one and I love it. If I'm throwing one in the truck or picking one to use for heavy work on the regular, I'd get the 18"er. If I'm looking for a woodsbumming machete that fits in my backpack and is still and unbelieveable workhorse, the 12"er will knock your socks off.

You know, it is answers like that, that just cause problems. :D I think I've been sold a machete. Honestly, I can't really decide on which one to get....might just get a 12" and 18". Test them out and go from there.

I apologize guys. The base price for these is $100. Its ten dollars to ship them. Right now these are all base price, and I really don't think there will be any upsale handles. So, $100 plus $10 shipping. Sorry for the confusion.

That one has a flaw. Its only got 2 pins. LOL. I think I'll wind up keeping it.:rolleyes:

i suppose i can wait for another 12 if you don't wanna sell the osage. damn i was super excited :(

Nice pics Andy, and the machetes look great too. I'm diggin' that grind.
Enjoy the time with your pretty model, they grow up fast!

Are those's brass or steel pins

Steel. But one pin on the handle of the Osage 16" er is canvas micarta. Ran out of SS.

So the sizes are by blade length?

How long are the handles?

Can I pre-pay for one of the next batch to be finished? ;)

All the handles are 6" long. The blade length is how you designate a machete. (or at least, thats my understanding)

I don't take pre payments, but I am going to start a thread today asking for volunteers to manage a list.

Andy, I was apparently too slow to get in on the first 14's. What will offerings of the rest look like? Just up for sale now an then as you get batch handles done? Or will you be taking orders at some point?

See new thread about volunteers to manage a list.

The currently available two machetes are the two Osage Orange ones. Both aren't totaly perfect. The 12"er only has two pins. The 16 has a micarta pin added to the other two. Otherwise perfectly functional tools.

$90 plus shipping each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddleback
The currently available two machetes are the two Osage Orange ones. Both aren't totaly perfect. The 12"er only has two pins. The 16 has a micarta pin added to the other two. Otherwise perfectly functional tools.

$90 plus shipping each.
ok this is better for some reason it wouldn't let me quote at work.

WHAT Andy i said i would take the osage yesterday and you said you were keeping it and now you sold it? did i miss something or do something wrong? i guess just bad luck on my part. not trying to whine just curious as to why i didn't get it

sending you a pm sir

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back