Another Exercise in Choice (6 knives)

JohnDF

Gold Member
Scenario
A small museum calls and they have a spot open to display Quintessential American (USA) pocket knives. They have just enough room to display 6 knives that fairly represent the iconic traditional pocket knives in American history. Which six knives would you send them?

1. Barlow. Various makers. Sawcut brown or red bone, clip and pen blades. (Come on, George Washington and Tom Sawyer carried Barlows!)

2. Congress. Various makers. Four-blade. (Lincoln had one in his pocket when he died.)

3. Case trapper. Yellow or jigged bone.

4. Schrade stockman. I like my Schrade Scrimshaw knife with mallards, but the Old Timer is great too. Full size, of course.

5. Scout knife. Various makers. (Or US demo knife--same blades, all stainless steel.)

6. Pen knife, like so many of our fathers and grandfathers carried. Various makers (Case, Schrade, Camillus, etc.).

[Edited to replace the Buck 110 with pen knife, as the 110 is really more of a sheath knife than a pocket knife.]

Last edited:
I wouldn't send them anything. Let them buy their own darn knives.
Lol... :D:thumbsup:

Hobo (still traveling)
Great answer. :D:thumbsup:

1. Barlow. Various makers. Sawcut brown or red bone, clip and pen blades. (Come on, George Washington and Tom Sawyer carried Barlows!)

2. Congress. Various makers. Four-blade. (Lincoln had one in his pocket when he died.)

3. Case trapper. Yellow or jigged bone.

4. Schrade stockman. I like my Schrade Scrimshaw knife with mallards, but the Old Timer is great too. Full size, of course.

5. Scout knife. Various makers. (Or US demo knife--same blades, all stainless steel.)

6. Buck 110. Ebony or walnut scales, brass bolsters.
Good list, Vince. :D:thumbsup:

1. Russell Barlow
2. Remington 1173 trapper
3. Ulster scout knife
4. Schrade 8OT stockman
5. Case sodbuster
6. Buck 110
Good list, kamagong. :D:thumbsup:

1. Russell Barlow
2. Remington 1173 trapper
3. Ulster scout knife
4. Schrade 8OT stockman
5. Case sodbuster
6. Buck 110
Really good list.
I would probably replace the sodbuster with a little two blade pen knife or case peanut though, lots of people carried and inexpensive little two blader and I'll bet it's what a lot of people picture when they think of a pocket knife.

I can't think of a specific make of pen as appropriate as those you've listed though.

I got my list from what I've personally encountered and all the fabulous stories here on the Porch.

A knife made in Sheffield: barlow
A knife made in Germany : whittler
A knife made in France: Laguiole
A knife made in Spain:Navaja
A knife made in U.S.A.: Trapper
A knife made from flint knapped by a Native American
And if you think about what The United States Of America is you'll understand my choices;):thumbsup:

A knife made in Sheffield: barlow
A knife made in Germany : whittler
A knife made in France: Laguiole
A knife made in Spain:Navaja
A knife made in U.S.A.: Trapper
A knife made from flint knapped by a Native American
And if you think about what The United States Of America is you'll understand my choices;):thumbsup:
I like all of those knives, David, but John specified "quintessential American." I don't think my Laguiole and navaja qualify as much as I love them. But your point is right: Americans come from all over the world.

I like all of those knives, David, but John specified "quintessential American." I don't think my Laguiole and navaja qualify as much as I love them. But your point is right: Americans come from all over the world.
Vince, Your right of course, my French and Spanish choices aren't as well known here. Also that it was my intention though to illustrate our diversity. Much of our cutlery tradition is deeply rooted in England and Germany especially. Maybe I should have said a French trade knife instead ;)
Which leaves me to ask, which patterns originated solely here? Perhaps the stockman and trapper?

Vince, Your right of course, my French and Spanish choices aren't as well known here. Also that it was my intention though to illustrate our diversity. Much of our cutlery tradition is deeply rooted in England and Germany especially. Maybe I should have said a French trade knife instead ;)
Which leaves me to ask, which patterns originated solely here? Perhaps the stockman and trapper?
My guess is yes, the stockman and trapper. The Barlow started in England, but it was made here early on and I think it's fair to consider it a quintessential American pattern too. At the moment, I am enamoured with French knives, but I do love my trappers and stockmans.

Back