Another Exercise in Choice (6 knives)

1. Russell or TC Barlow single blade Spear.
2. Winchester Black Box Stockman.
3. Winchester Coffin Jack.
4. CASE Penknife Red Bone.
5. GEC 62 Half Congress Ironwood
6. Remington Farmer's Jack Pickbone or Stag.

These are personal choices that cover different patterns and several blades shapes: Spear, Clip, Spey, Pen, Sheepfoot, Pruner, Wharncliffe. Single blade, Jacknife, Penknife type, 3 blade frame. Mixture of older and newer knives, familiars and unusual types for variety and historical breadth. No, not included a Buck 110 an important knife but more of a belt carry rather than pocket nor the Trapper, too big for this pocket and I've included a Jacknife anyway..;)

1. Russell or TC Barlow single blade Spear.
2. Winchester Black Box Stockman.
3. Winchester Coffin Jack.
4. CASE Penknife Red Bone.
5. GEC 62 Half Congress Ironwood
6. Remington Farmer's Jack Pickbone or Stag.

These are personal choices that cover different patterns and several blades shapes: Spear, Clip, Spey, Pen, Sheepfoot, Pruner, Wharncliffe. Single blade, Jacknife, Penknife type, 3 blade frame. Mixture of older and newer knives, familiars and unusual types for variety and historical breadth. No, not included a Buck 110 an important knife but more of a belt carry rather than pocket nor the Trapper, too big for this pocket and I've included a Jacknife anyway..;)
Nice list, Will, but fatal flaw in eliminating trapper, one of which I have in my pocket right now. :D:D:D

You're both right--when I carry mine it is in a belt sheath. May have to revise my list. Maybe replace it with a sodbuster.

Ditch the Trapper, you could get trapped by it :eek: (the mythology...;))

I admit, it's a personal prejudice (based on years of careful analysis :D) The Wharncliffe Trapper as proposed by Tony Bose was an immense improvement, getting rid of that massive Spey :thumbsup:

Scenario
A small museum calls and they have a spot open to display Quintessential American (USA) pocket knives. They have just enough room to display 6 knives that fairly represent the iconic traditional pocket knives in American history. Which six knives would you send them?

If we're taking TRULY quintessential ...
- 47 Case stockman
- 54 Case Trapper
- 57 GEC Whittler
- Buck 110 lockblade knife
- Ka-Bar USMC knife
- Leatherman multi-tool

Oneth: I'd tell them to create more space. Six knives is no where near enough to cover even a fraction of the historically significant patterns.

Twoth: I'd (truthfully) tell them I don't have any brands they would be interested in.

They would need the quintessential Russell Barlow. Both a two blade, and 5 inch closed single blade "Grand Dad's" Barlow, and maybe a toothpick/fishing knife, a pen knife (perhaps with the once popular eraser secondary blade), the "doctor's knife" with tongue depressor/pill separator/counter.
Obviously, some of the most used patterns (like the doctor's knife, for example) and blades (the eraser blade, for instance) have fallen out of favor over time. That does not lessen their historical significance, however.

I can think of at least six iconic "sportsman's"/hunting and fishing knives, plus at least six iconic "work knives", (not counting the venerable Stanley retractable and not retractable blade "box"/"utility" knife, which any collection of "quintessential"/"iconic" knives of the 19th and 20th centuries would have to include, to have any credibility.)

Another problem with just/only six: Which blade combinations would you omit for the Barlow? They made them with a clip point, spear point, Spey/Budding, and sheepsfoot main, paired with at least a pen blade. Sometimes the secondary was a flat screwdriver with caplifter, or something else, like a coping blade.

Last edited:
Most museums display only 20% of their collection due to space constraint...so theres errr 24 ?other quintessentials in the vault gathering dust.

Good point;) Then there's lot of vitriolic in fighting and rancour amongst admin and curators, their pets and pet peeves often get too much attention.....Remember too there's the anti-knife philistinism driven by contemporary ignorance to contend with...:rolleyes: plus these knives may have been artefacts in historical crimes OMG!!!!!:eek: ;)

Yes. Does quintessence equate with quality?...

Why and how could it be? If yes, where and when? I don't argue. There is no example which come through my mind. I could be wrong, i'm expert in nothing. That's why i ask.

Dan.

That's why I gave the 110 an honorable mention... You're right, not so much a pocket knife.
I'd still say the 110 has to be on the list, it's truly an icon and probably had more influence on the knife industry than any other single knife.
Also, if I'm carrying a 110 it is usually in my pocket unless my pockets are filled with other things.

Back