Another guy asking for guidance

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying i used to find spyderco's ergos silly. Then, with all the fuss ppl make about them, i decided to get the byrd cara cara to see what it was about. Now i know the ergos are everything but silly. Plus, for an inexpensive knife, it was pretty darn sharp.

So now I'm planning on buying a spyderco in december. But the more i've been looking at models, the harder it gets to decide. I basically want an edc i can carry in any attire, as slim as possible, 3ish blade (the dimensions of the crkt drifter are a good example of what i'm looking for, blade and handlewise) and on somewhat of a budget (around $100 max, i can go a little over but if i can spend less it would be good too). It wouldn't get hard use as far as i know.

Here's my dilemma:

air: lovely design. was the one i was going to buy until i saw how tiny it was. Will buy when i have more "regular" knives.

Manix 2 translucent: good looks but i heard of mechanic problems

Tenacious: looks good and price is enticing, but i heard they are cursed (underlying ergo problem?)

Delica: seems ideal but frn is a little too hard to my taste (never handled g-10 though, don't know how much of a difference it makes)

I gather many of you guys own a lot of spydies. Could you help me out?

Thank you

Delica is hard to beat, small enough to be acceptable most places, great ffg and comes in many cool colors. The sage 1 is a little more expensive but its only over your limit by 2 dollars on the big river. Great size knife with s30v, my sage 2 is one of my favorites.

Delica is hard to beat, small enough to be acceptable most places sag, great ffg and comes in many cool colors. The sage 1 is a little more expensive but its only over your limit by 2 dollars on the big river. Great size knife with s30v, my sage 2 is one of my favorites.

Wow one post KO!!!!

The sage really seems to fit the bill. I don't know if sb is going to beat that suggestion, especially when i shop my knives on that same river :)

They look very similar. What is the difference? Nice picture btw. Online shopping is such an exercise in restraint. Must... Resist...

It seems you're sort of anxious about your first?
Ask around and get it right the first time... ;)

.....because we all got it right the first time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It seems you're sort of anxious abut your first?
Ask around and get it right the fist time... ;)

.....because we all got it right the first time. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhh hahahahaha hahahaha.......:D

Hey op, the Sage is a nice knife but personally (like sonny daze) I prefer the chaparral. The chap is a bit smaller and Carey's much better and I feel like it is a sleeker more ergonomic knife. They are both great.

Native 5 is a few more bucks but will also be 100% business environment friendly.

I probably have more Delica's than most people but they just can't be beat for an everyday carry ~ color ~ size ~ blade ~
price ~ steel ~ and on and on ! I do carry other Spydies but I always have a Delica on me.**

Delica or Sage 1 would be my choices here. Also, the Manix 2 Lightweight is a great knife, no problems with mine whatsoever.

The only curse that lies on the Tenacious is that it'll make you want more Spydercos. No ergo problems whatsoever, at least for me.
Its a great knife, especially for the price. If it wasn't for the 8Cr13, you would never know that its a "budget" knife.
I also like G10 much better than FRN, but maybe thats just me.

The only curse that lies on the Tenacious is that it'll make you want more Spydercos. No ergo problems whatsoever, at least for me.
Its a great knife, especially for the price. If it wasn't for the 8Cr13, you would never know that its a "budget" knife.
I also like G10 much better than FRN, but maybe thats just me.
This is true about the tenacious. You'll probably end up with all of them at some point if you're like me. You can't go wrong with any of these. Of all the ones mentioned, I'd opt for the Sage first. But that's just me. The Delica is great, the Manix is wonderful. I'm not sure about mechanical problems. Mine has been fine, but Spyderco is good with backing their knives if a problem arises. Sorry, it appears I'm not being more helpful. My best advice is to get one....like today!

You need to get Native5 or Caly3. Both of them little out of your price range, but you have plenty of time to grab lightly used on secondary market. Should be $80-90 shipped for lightly used. Get one of these and you will never need another knife.
This doesn't mean that you will stop buying :)

Manix2 LW S110V about $110 shipped. Not much more needs to be said. You'll end up there anyway, may as well start start there.

Back