Another guy asking for guidance

I have a PM2, Delica 4, Chaparral, Sage 1, and Caly 3.5. Out of all of these tremendous Spydys, I am most passionate about my Caly by a long shot. It carries like a Delica with a little more heft but you get a serious piece of VG10 steel. It's a versatile folder.

The Delica is a very safe bet, they are impossible to beat for the money. I understand what you are saying about the plastic grips, that is why it is the only knife I own with them. I made an exception for the Delica because it is too great of a knife to not own.

If you get a Sage 1, you won't regret it. It's amazing for the money but a little chunky when compared to the Delica or Caly 3.5. I never dreamed a knife would kick the Sage out of my pocket until the Caly came along. The Chaparral is basically the little brother of the Sage 1 but with a different lock. The Chap is smaller, thinner, and I prefer the blade profile over the Sage. If you have large hands, you might not like the Chap though. Keep us updated.

Based on your requirements, I would check out the Spyderco Chaparral (the Carbon Fiber version). The Chap is a very thin knife with a blade a bit under 3 inches. This knife would fit well in either formal or business casual attire, and just as well in jeans and a t-shirt.

FWIW, I have 9 Spydies, and my Chaparral is definitely one of my favorites.

Thanks guys for all the replies!

From the looks of it i will probably get a chaparral in december, and if my accountant agrees i'll get a tenacious in the meantime... THEN I SHALL BUY THEM ALL!

You will probably not be surprised when i say that all this browsing only reinforced my decision of having them all eventually, with all those steels, handle materials and funky ergos... But you guys helped me decide which one will be the first, so thank you!

Cheers

I started like you: finding spyderco looks funny but now... I don't trust other brands :D

I owned all of them and they are all VERY different. LET ME JUST POINT OUT THEIR NEGATIVES.
Air. Fondling knife. Will patina or even rust if you don't take care. Not really practical for all round use. (I happen to love it though)
Manix. Slightly too big for EDC.
Delica. No choil. Lockback which I'm not too crazy about.
Tenacious. Don't expect the fit and finish in par with Japanese Spydies. No choil. Okay steel.

I'd recommend Sage 1 over all. It's made in Taiwan with fit and finish that surpass any US or Japanese made Spydies. S30v
Chaparral could be an option is you prefer smaller knife with a lockback.

Vote for a Delica, UKPK or Caly here. UKPK is one of my faves for light edc.

Back