Another Rose

I've noticed that the last dozen or so Roses have the yin/yang symbol embedded in the wood, as the napoleon swords do. Mine is a bit older and doesn't have that design, but it looks good. I'm thinking of getting some of those or some of the center studs from some handgun grips and embedding them in my CR handle. Kind of personalizes it.

The handle on mine feels great, the tip is very stout, and the handle is wider and guard is a big larger and angled more forward as Yvsa said he designed it to be. Impressive knife.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Regards

Norm

The tip is the only thing that worries me on mine, as it's pretty thin.

The handle, other than being twice as long as it needs to be (for me) fits my hand very well. But I have small hands. At the slight swell in the center, it's 1 3/8" top/bottom and about 15/16" wide.

If I ever get challenged to a duel out on the sandbar, I'll be ready. :D

Steve

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
Steve - The long handle is intentional. Yvsa designed it that way so that when you grip forward in the fighting mode, the extra weight behind your hand lightens the balance and the blade becomes more neutral. When you grip the rear, it tosses the weight forward for chopping mode. That is not a mistake my friend...it's engineering the ndn way! :)

Nasty said:
Steve - The long handle is intentional. Yvsa designed it that way so that when you grip forward in the fighting mode, the extra weight behind your hand lightens the balance and the blade becomes more neutral. When you grip the rear, it tosses the weight forward for chopping mode. That is not a mistake my friend...it's engineering the ndn way! :)

Well that's just cool. I should have realized that. As I wrote:

"The balance is wonderful. The hilt is big for me, I can get both hands on it. But it felt good. Either choked up next to the guard, or near the butt, it felt secure and good in my hand."

It's a wicked, wicked knife. Great design. :D

Steve

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
Of course, if you don't like it I could.... ;)

Nasty, when you hold it, does it give any sense of wanting to turn in the hand under force?

munk

Looks good Steve, ;)

When you say the tips thin, how thin is that? & out of curiosity wheres the balance point on it?

Spiral

Nasty said:
Of course, if you don't like it I could.... ;)

Nasty,
In case I was ambiguous in my earlier posts...

I LOVE IT! :D

Spiral, the best way I can answer that, is that 1/2" (12.7mm) back from the tip, it measures .100" (2.54mm). Balance point is about 2 1/2" (63.5mm) in front of the guard. Overall length is 20 1/4", weight is 1 lb 12 oz, thickness at the spine is .312".

Steve

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
munk - No tendency to turn at all if I do my part...but this is not a tool that (I think) accepts brute force...that's what the AK is for. This is a more advanced tool...and responds best to a bit more skill on the users part. In exchange for that, it sings.

FWIW, and perhaps because I happen to have a lot of force at my disposal, I have learned that all of the HI products respond better to skill. I am much bigger than Hollow for example, but he rips through wood at an awesome rate due to his touch with the blades.

Spiral - The point is thin as it should be for a fighter...if you are wanting to chop with the tip, you may be disappointed. My question would be, why would you want to do that? It chops in the middle, clears light brush and fights with the point.

Steve - Can't blame a shark for snapping at bait, eh? ;)

Bill - Good stuff and thanks!

Nasty,

Yvsa has learned by putting his hands on things and I was curious about the apparent slenderness of the handle- you answered my question well. So you could chop with it, if you did your part, but it retains the quicker movements of the fighter- you know, for that Sandbar on the Brazos...

munk

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
By God, Life is...er...yeah munk, that's the point! ;)

ps: You have mail

nah, its cool.
alot of people like to go "tubin down the brazos"
they get big inner tubes (two each, one for you, one for the cooler)
and float down the river drinking budweisers.
back in the 70's they caught a 15 foot long alligator in the brazos.
supposedly, gators dont come that far north in Texas, usually sticking to the swampy lakes down south.
I have seen this alligator on display at the ft worth museum of natural history,
it is a monster. his belly is 4 feet across.
i do not go tubin.

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
Wonder how many coolers would fit in there?

Gator's come deep and large on the Brazos...

Hey, what is the Brazos today? I mean, are there McDonald's on the shore line?

munk

no, its lined by farmland mostly.
munk, the brazos is actually two rivers that join.
and the damend thins is really long. it has all kinds of environs as far as i can tell.

they do have a neat lake/scout camp on it called "possum kingdom" and "camp constantine" if my memory serves me. its been almost 20 years since i went there.

geeze, when did i got old enough to have 20 year old memories?

yikes.

wait, here are some pics:http://www.longhorncouncil.org/camp/worth_ranch/

Get any Western Diamondbacks there or that ....Pecos Copperhead? Nothing like a river with sandbars, linked to outlaws and outside law and order, where a Rose would be at home, and chock full of poisenous snakes! It just doesn't get any better than that. Imagine having to watch your step on a hot summer evening ....

munk