Antique Winchester Knives and Company History 1919-1942

Looking forward to a great thread !! Those two Winchesters are divine, Al ! Great thread idea:thumbsup:

E.C. Simmons

35865257716_fb3504af77_b.jpg

One of my favorite knives ever posted here!

Great research, Al and Dan!!! I look forward to further, as it occurs!!
Here are some older pics of Winchester knives. I will eventually take some more for this great thread!!
Three Barlows and a fancy Jack!!
View attachment 1285908 View attachment 1285909

Two Harness Jacks , one with a Napanoch style punch!!View attachment 1285910 View attachment 1285911
Thanks, Charlie! Beautiful examples!

I know Charlie has seen this, but for those who may not have... below is the patent information on the punch designed by William Carman, one of the owners of Napanoch Knife Company. The earliest Winchesters have the Carman Punch. At some point Winchester went with a different (easier to make?) punch.

S0VKkPb.jpg

D9ePX8q.jpg

npP769d.jpg

@Luger1952 Beautiful 1920, Lloyd! It doesn't get much better than that!

mckgreg mckgreg What's the pattern number of your Dog Leg Jack? It is beautiful. Re: tang stamps. It might be that all blades are stamped vs just the master blade.

Nice Winchesters everyone and thanks for all the history.

I have a few, here is a dogleg that looks pretty close to Dan's KeenKutter.

IMG_6381.jpg

Ladies or boys pruner shown next to standard size pruners of the time.

IMG_6983.jpg

And a large jack shown with a Challenge jack.

IMG_9448.jpg

Certainly looks just like yours Al , same jigging as well. I read that the shape of the spey blade is a good indicator .

@mckgreg What's the pattern number of your Dog Leg Jack? It is beautiful. Re: tang stamps. It might be that all blades are stamped vs just the master blade.
I think the stamp on both blades is what the separation is. Can't find a pattern number on this knife. It doesn't appear to have been cobbled.
Great thread !!
I was on a dogleg kick for a while and bought a few of the old guys to use. Couldn't bring myself to use that Winchester tho.
Should have a Keen Kutter around here some place.
Greg

Last edited:
Back