Any good $200 swords out there?

Is it possible to purchase good a katana-type sword for around $200? ... By "good" I mean battle ready ... A tough sword that will not fall apart ... While I am not exclusively limiting myself to katana style swords ... I do want a sword that is fully functional and practical ... I do not want to just hang it on the wall and look at it ...... Any suggestions?

I would prefer a new sword ... I find that buying used (anything) is very complicated ... I never know what I am getting ... Or where to find it ... Or how much to pay ... When I buy anything used.

Is it possible to purchase good a katana-type sword for around $200? ... By "good" I mean battle ready ... A tough sword that will not fall apart ... While I am not exclusively limiting myself to katana style swords ... I do want a sword that is fully functional and practical ... I do not want to just hang it on the wall and look at it ...... Any suggestions?

Yes, search paul chen hanwei in google and go to their “samurai sword” section. They have excellent katanas for just over 200$ and under 250$

Response to JJHollowman

Thank you for your response.

I went to the Cheness Cutlery website ...... They have one called a "1060 "MOKKO" Katana (3rd Gen)" that looks interesting ...... They want $199.99 for it ...... That was about what I had planned on spending ...... I might purchase it.

Response to Lapedog

I went to the Paul Chen Hanwei website ...... This was a good suggestion ...... Paul Chen has a very large selection of swords ...... I navigated to the "Samurai Swords" section ...... Then to the "Katana" section ...... They have about 8 swords that are in my price range ...... I will look through them ...... They have a "5160 through hardened blade" spring steel model for $229.99 that looks interesting ...... It looks like a good deal ...... They have another model ...... "Forged 1566 high carbon steel blade" for $239.99 ...... I will have to research these two steels to determine which one I might purchase ...... They both look like good deals.

Response to DrRollinstein

The Cult of Athena website has an extremely large selection of swords ......It will take me a while to look through all the models in my price range ...... It definitely looks like they have some swords that would be a good fit for me.

Response to DrRollinstein

The Cult of Athena website has an extremely large selection of swords ......It will take me a while to look through all the models in my price range ...... It definitely looks like they have some swords that would be a good fit for me.
Yeah, and its all separated nicely. And you wont find lower prices anywhere unless you have a coupon to use.

Response to Lapedog

I went to the Paul Chen Hanwei website ...... This was a good suggestion ...... Paul Chen has a very large selection of swords ...... I navigated to the "Samurai Swords" section ...... Then to the "Katana" section ...... They have about 8 swords that are in my price range ...... I will look through them ...... They have a "5160 through hardened blade" spring steel model for $229.99 that looks interesting ...... It looks like a good deal ...... They have another model ...... "Forged 1566 high carbon steel blade" for $239.99 ...... I will have to research these two steels to determine which one I might purchase ...... They both look like good deals.

Paul Chen is known for making Katanas and Japanese style swords which are balanced and feel like real ones. If you were going to spend 200 I highly recommend springing the extra little bit for the paul chens.

I have been curious about this sword, anybody used one?

Link to non-supporting dealer/vendor removed... read the site rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been curious about this sword, anybody used one?

Link removed
Good steel and designed by a pretty famous sword dude, so it cant be that bad for the price.

Edit: Forget good steel, i read it wrong, that is a pretty damn fantastic steel for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good steel and designed by a pretty famous sword dude, so it cant be that bad for the price.

Edit: Forget good steel, i read it wrong, that is a pretty damn fantastic steel for the price.
That's what has me wondering. It's a great price on good materials and a collaboration with a respected maker. It seems to hit a "too good to be true" level that leaves me loathe to explain the credit card bill to my wife. Unless it really is on the level in which case I can spend some time in the doghouse.

B BitingSarcasm
When considering that piece, ask yourself what you want it to be. If you're looking for a nice katana, this is not the one. If you're looking for a budget beater - something to take out in the yard to swing around, cut water bottles, hack away at small branches, etc, without getting too worried about damaging it; you'll likely be satisfied.
Then again, if that's what you want, you could buy an Ontario 22" HD machete for a fraction of the price (except the Ontario is a single-hander)

fully functional and battle ready, less than $200? Maybe Condor, if you don't mind a modern look. They have a couple of two handers, 1075 steel. Of course, the balance is not going to be as good as a real katana, but they should be very tough.

In short, No. Save your money and buy a better quality example. It would be better to invest the $200 on some basic training, so you can be in a better position to appreciate and choose a good sword. There is much more to swords than appearance; you want something that fits you and works for you.

n2s

A "real" katana will cost you multiple grand. But there are definitely some good cheap swords. Especially if you just want to use the hell out of them.

Back