Any good $200 swords out there?

Response to Low_rez

Thank you for your response.

I visited the Zombie Tools website ...... It looks like they have some high quality swords and other things ...... I like the model called "The Apokatana" ...... It's a bit out of my price range at the moment ...... However ... It appears to be built extremely well.

I was looking on the website of our nation's largest online retailer ...... And I found this.
Cold Steel CS88ITSM-BRK MAA Italian Long Sword

• Price: $183.16
    • Overall Length:47.00"
    • Blade Length:35.50"
    • Blade Material:1090
    • Blade Style Dagger
    • Finish:Black
    • Edge Type Plain
    • Handle Length:11.50"
    • Handle Material:Leather
    • Color:Black
    • Bolster Material:Stainless Steel
    • Weight:3 lbs. 0.96 oz.
    • User:Right Hand, Left Hand
    • Sheath:Leather, Wood
    • Knife Type:Fixed Blade
    • Brand:Cold Steel
    • Model:MAA Italian Long Sword
    • Model Number:88ITSM
    • Country of Origin:China
    • Best Use:Recreation, Tactical
    • Item Size:Oversized
    • Product Type:Sword
While I know very little about swords ...... There is a video on the website of several guys destroying a variety of things with this sword ...... It looks like a monster ...... What are your impressions of this sword?

I have a cheness ayame, through hardened and a real beater. Not bad at all for the money. Had many cheap ones, the online auction site has many t10 ones for not much more that that. There is also another forum I won't name dedicated to sub 300 dollar swords with many many reviews.

The Dojo Pro line from Ronin katana has been pretty decent. More in the $300 range, but they can take a beating

I can suggest two swords that readily meet the qualifications set forth in your initial post... the sword must be “battle ready”, “tough”, “functional” and “practical.” Best of all, they are well below $200.

1) my favorite, the Angus Trim designed Dragon King APOC SD35500 Cutlass... (priced on different sites as low as $99.00). This is
  • 21 1/2 inch, Black oxide coated 9260 spring steel blade
  • Mine came sharp and is battle ready
  • Full tang, triple riveted G10 handle
  • It handles beautifully, as one would expect from Gus Trim swords... it is light and quick.
  • In size and design, The APOC cutlass reminds me of my Rodent RUCKI or WAKI... and appears every bit as tough, and 1/3rd the price.
  • The weakest point is the APOC scabbard... it needs to be replaced with a KYDEX sheathe. I’m looking for someone to make one for me now.
2) my second recommendation is the Condor TACTANA, as low as $166 from several outlets,
  • 20 7/8 inch blade,
  • 5 mm, 1075 high carbon steel
  • Epoxy black coating on blade
  • Full tang, micarta handle
  • High quality thick leather sheath.
  • He sword is heavy duty, sharp, and battle ready.
So... from my own experience, both of these swords meet your qualifications. Can you find more expensive swords… of course... but are they, however, “better“? Not necessarily if they are already good enough.

I recently got a Ronin Katana European sword #9 for $250 off KOA, a little over your range but they make rock solid swords and have a pretty good selection. I love the one I got would highly recommend them.

Old thread, but hey, if anyone out there is looking for a similar $200 beater beginner sword, iitoo recommend the Cold Steel Italian or Hand and a Half/Bastard Sword. Fair balance, usable steel, good edge geometry and great for beginning cutting. Easy to resharpen too.

Back