1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Any Idea When the Spyderco Advocate Gen 2 Will Arrive?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by GatorFlash1, Oct 6, 2019.

1. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
  2. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    Spyderco released an updated version of the Advocate with improved bearings a little while after that notice. Most of the currently available Advocates from your usual dealers are those improved models, you can tell by the date code on the box. You want an R year code for the updated CQI version.

3. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

Is Spyderco discontinuing the Gen 2 model, the good one with the R year code?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. ShanghaiJer

ShanghaiJer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Yes

5. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Yes they are being discontinued. Grab em while you can while they are cheap. Finally got rid of the ugly gold finish on mine :D

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Wow I have been totally misunderstanding that title.

I thought the OP was looking for a "fixed blade" version of the Advocate. But what they wanted was the CQI ones from the latest release.

GB940Rookie and sharp_edge like this.
  7. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I believe the Junction (also discontinued) would be the closest thing to a fixed blade Advocate. :D

Murphjd25 likes this.
  8. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    Buy one before they are gone. I bought mine before the price reduction
    and think it is epic. I like the feel in hand, the blade is perfect...only the
    detent is a miss...a bit too soft. Fit and finish are spectacular and mine
    is reserved for formal occasions like weddings. I find it beautiful but others
    disagree!

9. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    Fixed, think it looks a lot better now!
    [​IMG]

ErocSD, ferider and woodysone like this.
  10. ShanghaiJer

ShanghaiJer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2014
    @Murphjd25 how’d you do that to the scales?

Murphjd25 likes this.
  11. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    I had them glass bead blasted. :D

12. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Got one last night, and it's a great blade for urban or genteel carry, as it's so slim. Disengaging the lock-bar can be a bit harsh on your thumb, but you'd have to be a real girly-man to notice that ;-)

TenShun705 likes this.
  13. ferider

ferider Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Love that knife .... on a related note, is it just me, or are Taichung screws (in particular Pivots) softer than Colorado ones ?

TenShun705 and Murphjd25 like this.
  14. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    I’m pretty sure they are. The only screws that I’ve seen are softer are from Taichung. A wiha even did that!

ferider likes this.
  15. ToxicBot11

ToxicBot11

Apr 28, 2013
    But acording to TazKristi the date code is not a 100% guarantee.. from this this thread.. https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74118&start=180

Quoting her along with the pic she posted from that thread: "The date code cannot be used as a reliable reference as to whether or not you received an original or the revised Advocate. Here's an image I posted back in January that should help you distinguish between the two."

[​IMG]

The left CQI version advocate has phosphor bronze washers visible and the right one doesn't.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  16. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    These have a gold finish? I thought I noticed somewhat of a light bronze ano in some pictures, but any color is never mentioned in write-ups and reviews.

17. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    It’s goldish/bronzish for sure. That was my only dislike with the knife, but now it’s perfect and has the finish I think it should of had:D

18. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    so the advocate isn't a Bearing flipper? I never knew it was a washer flipper... I was waiting for a cqi version on discount the KC ones were gen 1 so I passed.... I just bought a Vintage Bowie XM18 this morning though so I'm broke anyway haha

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Murphjd25 likes this.
  19. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    It has bearings.

ErocSD likes this.
  20. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    Crappy little tiny plastic cased bearings with dished washers and all, it still amazingly flips well, LOL

Mine is the first generation so I am not sure if the second CQI generation has bearings or just washers. From pictures I’ve seen it looks as if they are just PB washers..
    [​IMG]

ErocSD likes this.