1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any recommended kitchen knives?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by trailhunter, May 30, 2018.

1. trailhunter

trailhunter Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2018
    I have one of those combo knife kits, most of those knives but 1 are all serrated. I want to get rid of it and nail it down to maybe 2-3 knives each with their own responsibilities. I bought a decent cleaver for chopping so I'm covered in that end. My budget is 300, any recommendations?

2. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade Knives, Big Brown Bear Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Man, I'd rather just spend all $300 on a good 8-10" chef

strategy9 likes this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I would look at shun cutlery personally

4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I recommend you get a few Rada knives; they are VERY cheap and very functional (short term). :thumbsup: You will then have a feel for what you want in a quality kitchen knife or two. Please contact us again when you can be more specific and you will get some good input. :D

5. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    Look at the tojiro dp line of knives.

They are pretty similar to shun knives, but they run about half the cost.

I've got their 10in gyuto (~$75), and their 6in nakiri(~$45), and have been really satisfied with them so far.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Warther makes some nice knives, Tojiros are very nice and the Victorinox Fibrox series is more than adequate and very affordable.

jux t likes this.
  7. trailhunter

May 15, 2018
    How well do they hold an edge?

8. ScooterG

ScooterG Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Kohetsu makes some nice blades in HAP40.

9. trailhunter

May 15, 2018
    How do you feel about this kit?

Shun SWTS0600 Kanso 6-Piece Block Set
    by Shun
    Link: http://a.co/1yJimAO

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Victorinox, or old hickory.
    Personally I just look through the knives at Goodwills and pick up any good condition American made kitchen knives I find for 1$.
    My last finds are a Flint edge Carver, and a Lamsonsharp Bowl chopper.

11. trailhunter

May 15, 2018
    Great idea, no better feeling than to walk away with treasures at the fraction of their original cost!

12. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    I don't have an extensive selection to compare the tojiro dp knives to, nor do I have any really high end steels to compare with, even in folders or other fixed blades.

I can say they hold their edge much longer than the victorinox fibrox kitchen knives we have, and the opinel paring knives we have. Maybe, two or three times longer (totally subjective, and off the cuff response. Not scientific at all, just going by feel/perception).

13. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I just recently went through the scenario of upgrading kitchen knives. I spent mos. (Ontop of knowledge I already had), comparing brands and sets, pro's and con's vs. Price etc....

NOW mind you, I had a big box China set that wasn't the worst. They were a Paula Dean set I got at a crazy cheap discount rate right after she had her contoversial comments go mainstream... it was like $16.99 clearance for the whole set, and they did serve us well for a few years...

In any case I found Costco carried a full Shun Sora set for <$400 w/ block. VG-10 edge welded to a 420hc spine, and further cut costs with cheaper plastic handles and not full tang, but I decided it was the perfect balance of quality/reputation/value... I couldn't be happier with the purchase so far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    marcus52AR likes this.
  14. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Other then that, I'd say if have a good cleaver already, and you really want something next level, spend $300 on a nice chefs knife, either one of the big makers (shun, wustoff, messermeister, etc), or something custom/one-off here in the maker's market, and save up for a paring knife and just use a pocket knife in the time being as necessary...

15. trailhunter

May 15, 2018
    Beautiful set!

I went with Shun as well, set should be here tomorrow, I think this will be a good starter to a quality beginners set

Shun SWTS0600 Kanso 6-Piece Block Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ISKIEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Uo1dBbS452NAD

strategy9 and Mitchell Knives like this.
  16. Phil Indablanc

Phil Indablanc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2017
    It is a little expensive, but the Bradford chef knives are awesome! M390 and great balance. I have a few Globals that are great mid range knives and much nicer than a Henckels or Wustoff. I’m also a big fan of Zakuri and Kikuichi Japanese knives. [​IMG]

strategy9 likes this.
  17. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    The Victorinox kitchen line is excellent for the money.

Spyderco has a few nice kitchen knives as well.

The higher end Shun knives are nice.

Otherwise, I would just save a bit more and get a nice custom paring knife and chef knife (All you really need IMO) from a maker you like.

18. Phil Indablanc

Phil Indablanc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I agree, get two or three high quality knives instead of a mid range set of knives. You only need a few knives for all kitchen tasks. Most knives in a set never get used.

19. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I cannot day enough good things about Richmond knives in Aebl from CKTG if you want 2-3 knives and 300 is your budget. I’ll also second the tojiro dp lineup that was mentioned earlier, lots of bang for your buck!

20. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Since you're here asking for recommendations, I take it you don't quite know what you want in a knife. If that's the case, I'd start out with good, but inexpensive knives that you can learn with. Not cheap, but something solid that won't hold you back.

For $95 before shipping, you can get a chef's and paring knife from Misen. It's highly recommended by Serious Eats. Should you desire something better or maybe just better suited for your knife wielding style, you can later upgrade and use the $200 you saved towards a new knife.