Any recommended kitchen knives?

I own a lot of kitchen knives and many recommended including shun classic, shun premier, shun sora, old carbon steel Dexter Russells, and several Chinese cleavers. My favorite knife in my collection is this bolsterless 8" chef's knife from mercer genesis series. Was skeptical of the low price but really exceptional in the use department. Doesn't hold an edge as long as vg10 but basically gets sharp again by looking at it.

mercer-m21078-genesis-8-forged-chefs-knife-with-short-bolster.jpg

And, I should add, if you have a budget of $300, seriously take a look at the custom makers on blade forums. I'm fairly set in the kitchen knife department myself and don't have much money, but next kitchen knife I buy will be from a BF maker.

I went with Shun as well, set should be here tomorrow, I think this will be a good starter to a quality beginners set
You pulled the trigger pretty quickly, so I guess there's no need to provide any further advice.

And, I should add, if you have a budget of $300, seriously take a look at the custom makers on blade forums. I'm fairly set in the kitchen knife department myself and don't have much money, but next kitchen knife I buy will be from a BF maker.
I'm looking for one more knife... I will take a look here, good call on that btw. Any specific makers that spec in kitchen cutlery?

I did :) I ended up refunding that set and went with Shuns 3 piece premium set

Shun TDMS0300 Premier Knife Starter Set, 3-Piece
As sets go, that's not a bad choice. Often, you get knives you don't need when you get sets. With that set, though, there is no waste. Chef's, paring, and non-serrated utility makes a good core set, probably all you need unless you want a serrated bread knife, and you can always add one of those later. I usually use a sharp chef's knife for bread, anyway. Fewer crumbs.

I have three knives from the Shun Premier line myself and they are good knives, including the 8" chef that you are getting. Good balance, an ambidextrous handle that works well with pinch, claw, and hammer grips, and they are quite pretty with the hammered damascus finish.

To me the two stars in the Premier product line are the 7" Asian Cook's knife (https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/premier-7-in.-asian-cooks-knife) and the 8" Kiritsuke, which is actually a k-tip gyuto, (https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/premier-kiritsuke-8-in). I like them for the flatter profile than the regular Chef's knife. I have the 8" Premier "Kiritsuke" and use it most often when I need a full-sized chef's knife.

I'm sure the Kanso line would have worked well for you. As long as the knife is sharp and the cook knows what they are doing, the food doesn't really care how pretty the knives are.

But I have handled the Kanso line at the store and the overall fit and finish, feel and look of the Premier line are significantly better.

Hand wash and dry, don't toss in the knife drawer to bang around, use a good cutting board that is gentle on the edges, and use good technique on the board and you're all set.

I did :) I ended up refunding that set and went with Shuns 3 piece premium set

Shun TDMS0300 Premier Knife Starter Set, 3-Piece
by Shun
Link: http://a.co/bKpqrU8
Nice choice! I only have the one shun from that line and it's my favorite. The one I have is a tad small for some tasks, but perfect for most of my needs. I might pick up a Kiritsuke since it looks awesome and functional and longer than my 7" (if I remember correctly).

20180212_141936-2656x1494.jpg

The Takamura Migaki 210 for your all round kitchen knife. Do yourself a favour and read the online reviews. I've used it for over 3 months now, it's stellar..

dCdocHm.jpg

I own a lot of kitchen knives and many recommended including shun classic, shun premier, shun sora, old carbon steel Dexter Russells, and several Chinese cleavers. My favorite knife in my collection is this bolsterless 8" chef's knife from mercer genesis series. Was skeptical of the low price but really exceptional in the use department. Doesn't hold an edge as long as vg10 but basically gets sharp again by looking at it.

Just wanted to second this. Picked up the Mercer Genesis 8" knife for $40 a couple of months ago based on a recommendation from a Burrfection Youtube video. Uses the same steel as a Wusthof Ikon for a fraction of the price. It's a joy to use in the kitchen.

Just wanted to second this. Picked up the Mercer Genesis 8" knife for $40 a couple of months ago based on a recommendation from a Burrfection Youtube video. Uses the same steel as a Wusthof Ikon for a fraction of the price. It's a joy to use in the kitchen.

Awesome, I'll place an order on it. Can't go wrong at 40 bucks on a knife that has a following.

What's interesting about mercer is that their Renaissance line is the sort the front of the house model with 3 rivets and a little more fit and finish, rounded blade and so one. Usually more expensive but one was on a sale so I bought it. Actually feels cheaper than the genesis line because they use POM in the handles. POM on paper is an excellent handle matieral, but on a large kitchen knife feels like a childrens toy to me. I cut them off with a dremel and then whet sanded that handles. I'm going to pop on some kind of hardwood scales once my new band saw blade comes in the mail.

Back