1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any talk of a steel change?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by levs18, Nov 20, 2017.

1. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2017

I'm not following the logic here. Because most people barely use their knives and don't know how to sharpen, means that CRK shouldn't think about upgrading the steel they use to make blades?

To put it bluntly, that makes no sense. It's akin to a car manufacturer saying they will only offer one engine for their high end car, because that engine is 'good enough' and it doesn't matter anyway since most people won't track the car. Well.....what about the people who WILL track the car, and the people that want the extra power?

CRK easily offer the knives in 2 different steels. Keep the 35vn for their standard, and offer something upgraded for the people who want it. I'm familiar with the manufacturing side of knives. The cost, the complexity, the acquisition of materials - all of it. To try and say that offering their blades in something like 20cv or even XHP would be a big obstacle is just....patently false.

In my opinion, they should at least start listening to what people want. Specifically people who aren't in this little echo chamber where only praise is allowed.

Again, just my opinion.

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    yes, yea I do.

3. AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

Lol. Go stand in the doorway of a walmart and ask 1000 people who Chris Reeve Knives is. 1000 people will say "who?"

How would a non knife enthusiast even know CRK even existed? They'd need to be on the forums, or browse knife shops. Either of those means you're most likely a knife enthusiast.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    not going to argue with you... but some random guy asks what the best knife is and buys a crk. you see this all the time. they may be an enthusiast in another field like guns or something else.

but yea for the average consumer your right. if a guy with a lot of money that drops coin on great things ... he doesn't have to be an enthusiast of knives either.

but anyways...

another look at the idea of changing steel is that crk is backed up making so many knives because the demand is so great. they don't even need to fill the market with other steel types. they are just trying to keep up with demand. they can either expand or raise prices to help.

5. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    The logic is, most people that buy their knives do not rely on forums for their information. Your logic is because of their cost, nobody but an enthusiast would buy their knives. There are roughly 321k members on this site- Are all of them into the latest super steels or is that a supposition?
    Before I forget, not all enthusiasts know how to sharpen or care to..If that were true, we would not have the number of service providers on BF that offer that service along with the people that use their service..Mostly anyway. Some will use the service regardless of their own skills at sharpening.

CRK could offer a different steel or as you put it an additional steel.. In some cases, they already do with damascus. So, would they just offer as an example, S35VN and M390 on the 21 or would they offer it across the whole line? What effect does this have on their current processes and how much more capacity would they have to add to cover this extra blade option? Currently, they are running at 100% capacity and a backlog of work.
    I have 3 decades of machining experience and I see a very expensive problem and more than a few challenges to get this operationally sound with the current volume they put out.

They, being CRK do listen to customers wants..I hear about it all the time when I go into the shop. Some things get implemented and others don't. I think it would be fantastic to be able to implement a great many ideas but they are not a large operation when compared to the likes of Spyderco. They do have to consider each decision they make. You may be making the mistake of thinking that this subforum has any bearing on their decision making process when in reality, they don't really even visit this forum anymore; They simply do not have the time. It's not the "echo chamber" some would believe of only positivity. There is plenty of negative to go around.

353, Josh K, Mo2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Your whole statement is quite ambiguous and I'll tell you why.
    It's obvious you haven't read many of the threads in this forum. People do in fact express their concern on issues concerning CRK as well as their satisfaction with CRK. After all, it is the CRK Forum.
    You need to read some of the threads in Maintenance, Tinkering& Embellishment Forum. It will give you an idea of just how many people in this forum need help maintaining their knives. Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to maintain their belongings.
    Using your example of the car, there are some models that offer only one engine, and that is mostly for the working class that want the best product that they are willing to afford. That's where CRK comes into play in the knife world. It isn't about the selection of steel, it's about the knife as a whole. When people fork over any amount of money above their comfort zone, they want it to be the best experience and be happy with their purchase. That includes for most, to be able to maintain the level of sharpness they are used to, being able to tear down, clean and reassemble their knife without issue. To know that customer service is top notch and prompt when issues arise. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with a knife if I couldn't sharpen it without having to spend even more money( and sometimes more than the knife) on a sharpening system.
    It's evident you've either not seen or missed the reason CRK uses the steel they do in one of their video's. Chris did explain why he chose S35VN and it wasn't because it was the flavor of the day steel when CRK chose it.
    Using the example of Walmart people is just wrong on so many levels, it's not worth trying to explain it. But, I will say this. the people I work with know I'm a knife guy. I'm always showing them my different knives. And yes, I do have many brands besides CRK. The one knife that gets the most comments about being a well built knife is my CRK's. Granted, typically I'll have something like a ZT, Hinderer or Shirogorov along with the CRK, but it amazes me that non knife people like the CRK. Maybe they don't like flippers, or maybe they relate to the CRK better. I've never asked why.
    They do listen to what people say, if you ever have a chance to go to a show where they're at, they will acknowledge that some of the things they do is because of customer feedback.
    Lastly, I've read a few threads (here on BF) about people getting back to simpler steels and not being really impressed with some of the super steels.

Mo2 and bhyde like this.
  7. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Wow, look at all the fun I have been missing.....lol

8. AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

I quit reading this forum back in 2011 when it became nothing but CRK praise and anything even perceived as negative was quickly dog piled. I had my fill of it in 2011 after years of seeing it.

So you’re right, I’m not very familiar with this forum anymore.

As far as missing or not knowing why CRK uses this steel, that’s laughable. I was here when they switched to s30v....I was here when they switched to s35vn... And I owned all of them. I’m well aware of how/why they use what they use. Just because Chris helped develop the steel doesn’t mean they have to be pigeon holed into it. I’ve owned over 80 CRK knives and have 12 in my collection now. I appreciate them for what they are, but when I need a knife to work long I reach for something different. After well over a decade actually using the knives I’ve become accepting of the fact that they just won’t hold an edge as long as others. But again that doesn’t mean they *couldn’t* with a few changes.

It’s clear we will disagree, so we might as well just stop here.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Even though I'm on this forum I'm not a knife nerd when people start getting into the technicalities of steels and heat treating and the like I my eyes glaze over. When I bought my my 21 last year it was in the running with the Spyderco Nirvana and the Medford 187DP they're all price competitive with the Sebenza even if they're all different. The reason I bought the Sebenza over the other two was not the steel and not the design it was the simple fact that I could take it apart without voiding the warranty, and CRK would replace a blade if needed. A new steel isn't really going to make me want to run out and buy a new one, this year when I wanted buy a new knife in the 400-500 price range I bought a KC Grey Pirate Jack because this time I just wanted something not everyone would have. I've never bought tech specs I buy whole companies.

jwh720 and bhyde like this.
  10. tank sniper

tank sniper

Jan 8, 2018
    the last time I corresponded with Matt the answer was, in so many words, "no" to any new blade steels... and that was roughly 6 months ago

There is no secrete to knife sharpening... you need the right tool for me that is the WE and a then little practice to get it right...

11. NJBillK

NJBillK Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I am nearly there...
    I haven't handled a Ti-Lock yet, and I think I would love it. I love the look of the mechanism, and the sizing. But I don't know if I should hold out and find something that also catches my eye and adds the bonus of an upgraded alloy.

I don't mind S35Vn, but that is the issue... I don't want to "not mind" an alloy on a $400+ knife (now that they are disco'd).

In this price range, there are plenty of options. That is the issue that CRK is up against. That folks "don't mind" their alloy of choice, is sooner or later going to become a less than appreciable alloy. For some of us, that time is Very soon, if not already come...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018