1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

Any Winkler fans?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rpn, Sep 5, 2020.

1. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    I got started with my Belt Knife years ago and have been adding blades. Just received the Field Knife yesterday and am very impressed with it- should have bought one years ago. Went a little wild on the Dynamis Winklers...but like them and finally owning a dagger I enjoy is great. The Case Winkler Skinner is a wonderful blade too btw...light, handy and solid cutter.

Had an Operator for a bit but decided to pass it on.

Here's the current state on my Winkler collection. You have some to post? Lets see 'em!

[​IMG]

oldmanwilly, A.L., Dcdavis and 8 others like this.
  2. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I traded the case one in 2019, that was a terrible decision.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    Envious of your collection.....

rpn likes this.
  4. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Love my Operator
    Only one so far, but I could definitely see myself buying a few more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oldmanwilly, JAB, Dcdavis and 4 others like this.
  5. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Here's a quick and interesting Winkler/Operator story... I had one a few years ago and broke the tip being stupid. I email Winkler Knives and Daniel himself answers, tells me to send it in and he regrinds it himself. I felt guilty for it since it as 100% me..but what a good guy and company.

evltcat, skyhorse, The Whip and 4 others like this.
  6. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet, but I really want a belt knife or a woodsman. I have a couple of other planned expences the next months, but I think I can manage one during 2020!

7. Jcsixx01

Jcsixx01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I have the spike, Dynamis Blade, and the Dynamis flathead.

The flathead is so useful. Winkler started making them for sale by winkler so it is half the price than the flathead with the Dynamis logo. Such a better purchase than those tiny prybars.

Pro tip- I wrap my Spike in Siran wrap after oiling so I can store it in the sheath. I’ve been able to reuse the wrap out in the bush too.

rpn likes this.
  8. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    I didn't know he was releasing his own flathead...i've been reading it's a good tool and been interested in it. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

9. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Here's a pic of the new Field knife...never new it had these curves. Distal taper and it is lighter and more lively in hand than it's size would suggest. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

evltcat, oldmanwilly, jfk1110 and 4 others like this.
  10. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    I like the designs a lot but haven't been able to get one in hand. How's the BTE thickness?

11. Jcsixx01

Dec 3, 2018
    Yep, they are available on Winkler’s site. I just checked the Dynamis site, they are now asking $215 (I paid $150) for the winkler flathead w/ their logo. The winkler version is $75. I don’t get it.

highestpoint likes this.
  12. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Not as thick as the Belt knife...and thicker than the Case Skinner. Still a hard use knife grind imo.

Looks like dynamis has a lower profile sheath and leather wrap for handle material. The sheaths on my two Dynamis blades are outstanding.

13. Jcsixx01

Dec 3, 2018
    I absolutely agree about the Dynamis sheaths. Not sure that justifies the price hike though.

rpn likes this.
  14. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    Does anyone know how much the tangs are skeletonized, and how much, if any, it differs between models?

15. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG

Quiet, evltcat, skyhorse and 11 others like this.
  16. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    I need to try one of the rubberized grips

17. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    I carry a Pathfinder routinely. Though the sheaths are a little bulky, I really like their retention, and they make carrying the knife very comfortable.

Based on my interactions with him, Daniel Winkler is a very nice man who is enthusiastic about his products and very respectful of his customers. My experience with the company has been nothing but positive.

Sorry, no picture today. I'll try to add one soon.

-Steve

18. Boru13

Apr 25, 2000
    That depends on the model and the year it was made.

The Belt Knives for example have always been a full tapered tang, no cutout at all. The Crusher Belt Knife however depends on the year it was made, initially it was a full tapered tang with no cutout and the integral extended tang, later that was changed to a non-tapered skeletonized integral extended tang.

highestpoint and Pr3inar like this.
  19. Boru13

Apr 25, 2000
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, I have a Stealth Axe on the way with the rubber handle as well.

20. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    I like my Winklers, but I decided that I preferred the thinner grind of the Case Winkler Skinner (and trying to sell my Winkler Belt Knife).

[​IMG]

The Case Winkler really needs a better sheath (the factory one is HUUUUGE) so I got a simple taco made:
    [​IMG]

Don W, trevitrace, jfk1110 and 2 others like this.