1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Any Winkler fans?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rpn, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Pr3inar

Pr3inar

Oct 17, 2015
    Well, because of you I got myself a nice discount! Thank you!

rpn, Boru13 and Novak77 like this.
  2. R2E2

R2E2 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Have you received the woodsman? I’m looking into buying one and wanted some feedback.

3. Novak77

Novak77 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Negative, they’re 10-12 weeks out.

R2E2 likes this.
  4. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't own one, but I'm a fan. I like the crude look. When I first saw them, I wondered a bit exactly what it is you get for your money, but a solid, well made custom fixed blade in 80CrV2 is always interesting.

5. DPC

DPC

Dec 28, 2013
    Hey there

[​IMG]

knoefz, Organic556, Boru13 and 5 others like this.
  6. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    My Winkler Operator has a tapered tang. I didn't know the tang was tapered until I got it in hand.
    Nice surprise for sure!

7. DPC

DPC

Dec 28, 2013
    Amazing. Each Winkler is different, which drives quality control nuts insane but also makes up for some knives that are even better that advertised. Yours is recurved AND pointy.

That's also why it's important to see the actual Winkler you're buying or ask for pics of the specific knife.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  8. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I need to take a few pix, but I just got my first two. An Operator with camo G-10, and a NSW Dagger with camo G-10.
    Really liking Winkler's G-10.

I've been exploring some other models and grabbed a Pathfinder with camo G-10 today.
    Anyone have one of the Recon's? I've been looking at that vs. a Crusher Spike.

Boru13 likes this.
  9. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    I saw a video from bladehq the other day on fixed blades and they had a Belt Knife with much more of a point than I'm used to seeing. I thought they had changed the design!

10. DPC

DPC

Dec 28, 2013
    The Recon is the best feeling and best cutting and pointiest knife I own. Slightly heavier than the belt knife but feels lighter.

In my opinion one of the best knives they make, but it's co-designed and you can tell. Meaning it's made by Winkler but it lacks many Winkler aesthetic characteristics. The spike in the contrary shares many aesthetic cues with belt knives etc... I've not handled that one.

evltcat likes this.
  11. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    You have a link to the video?

12. evltcat

Mar 7, 2011
    Thank you for your feedback!

Crap! I was hoping this wasn't going to be a "Buy Both" situation... Both have been discontinued, and there's only a few floating around out there.
    I REALLY like the Operator, so I may snag a Recon first.

13. evltcat

Mar 7, 2011
    Yes sir, its here:

rpn and Boru13 like this.
  14. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    evilcat beat me to it...but the Belt Knife is the last one shown.

15. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    I think it's just an optical illusion on the Belt Knife in that video - or maybe the point bevel was ground better and not rounded off.

16. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I think it's lighting. But they are handmade by humans so that's how variation creeps in. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

knoefz and evltcat like this.
  17. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    My Belt Knife looks like the photo above.

The video looks like a deeper sweep of the curve on the spine... maybe this is a special one? Personally I'd prefer more point... it's one of the reasons why I'm selling off mine and sticking with the Case Winkler Skinner.

18. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Well I'd guess the one in the video is a newer run.

The only special ones I've seen were the TAD Gear ones and they didn't look like that.

19. DPC

DPC

Dec 28, 2013
    All winklers are different and some changes are introduced from time to time I suspect. I've seen at least five different iterations of the belt knife ( including this one) Write to them, they will surely reply.

20. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I noticed the Case Winkler knives are similarly priced to the regular Winklers. Are the Case versions hand made as well or is Case mass producing them and selling them for a premium? I'd rather buy direct if they aren't the real deal.