1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Any word on Wetterlings Spring 2012 24" axe?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by justdrifting, May 29, 2012.

1. justdrifting

justdrifting

Feb 23, 2005
    Looking for the 24" axe mentioned on Wetterlings' site.

Anyone have any info about this showing up in the U.S. in spring 2012?

2. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    Are you referring to the Survivorman Les Stroud Bushman Axe? If so, then it seems like it "will be available for purchase November 2012" according to their website. As for the U.S. market, I'm assuming it's TBD.

3. Blunt Forged Edge

Blunt Forged Edge

May 15, 2012
    I stand to be corrected. Just now figured out how to "navigate" Wetterlings' online website. My ignorance!

I'm wondering if the twenty-four inch (24") axe is the Universal Woodman's Axe? Again if so, seems like it is already for/on sale for like one hundred thirty something and change.

4. Double Ott

Double Ott

Jan 3, 2011
  5. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    The bushman axe looks interesting. The size is appealing to me. I hope it has at least a 2lb head on it. Anything less and I'll pause.
    Hard to tell from one picture but the eye shape looks different to me.
    If this thing is priced affordable they will sell millions.
    Les sure seems to have sold out lately with the manufacturers.
    I can't see anything in terms of functionality that make it a better axe than products available now.

http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index.php

6. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
  7. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    I would like to put a Forest Axe handle on my Carpenters axe head
    And it would be superb with 2 lbs on a 26" handle

Garret Wade always has very high prices and I am sure the price of the axes will be less

8. Double Ott

Double Ott

Jan 3, 2011
    Wonder if Les told her that his show on the Discovery Channel has been canceled? Discovery canceled him because he refused to fulfill his contract with them. Or did he just take his check back to his motel room for the night?

9. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    pretty sure the contract and hotel thing was Bear...

10. justdrifting

justdrifting

Feb 23, 2005
  11. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    I can't believe the woodsman axe only has a 1.25lb head and 3" edge??? That just seems way too light for a 24" handle. You'd think it would have been 1.5-1.75lb head and around a 4" edge. I like the shape of the head it just seems out of proportion to me. But you never know about a tool until you use it. I hope someone here gets one and compares it to the LHA and the Forest Axe since those are the two closest size competitors.

12. scruffuk

scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    Ha ha!

Looks like they've taken a stock handle and 'best fit' it for the sake of the photo.
    (Still hung a bit shabbily.....needed work to thin down those shoulders)

I bet they sort that out...or hope they do!!

13. scruffuk

scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    I see this is also being called the Forester's Fine Axe in the UK.

I'm gonna order one...now...err...maybe....

14. brewcitymike

brewcitymike

Aug 26, 2011
    Both the universal and the Les Stroud axe look great, but the price of the universal is up there with the G-B prices. Now I'm not sure what to get next since they are similar in price I'm now torn between the Wetterlings UNiversal and the Gransfors Scandinavian Axe...hmmm...

15. scruffuk

scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    Heeeey wait a minute!!

They've changed the picture....

[​IMG]

Now it looks really very nice. I could have sworn I saved a pic of the first one they posted!!!
    (Clearly they took your criticism to heart Peggy! ;))

They also changed the cheesy one of the JK & LS together.

16. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    I know the old pic you were talking about.

This one does look way better.

17. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    Yea, I think the original name was the Adventurer Axe.

18. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, CD.

The new haft does look better.

19. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Well if that's a 3" edge then it scales to about a 20" haft. 20 inches is kind of in a "no man's land" for me, too long for one handed use and too short for two handed. 20 inches sounds handy until you actually try to use it. I think 24 inches is about the minimum length for a two handed axe. And I think that 18" is about the max for one handed axes. OTOH, if I was going to use a 20" axe one handed I would want it to be light - like 1.25 pounds.