Anybody else give up on high-end carry?

Almost the opposite I carry this XM-18 75% of the time. Sometimes I’ll carry a 3” version or Hogue Exemplar. These two Case/Bose knives I carry most of the time too but rotate a lot more through my traditional knives bc I have so many.
2ED3D6D9-4056-4DF9-BB2B-63626D24DC3E.jpeg
B98E666F-C296-45C4-89D2-6EFF8EB0FEAB.jpeg

The actual EDCs, these live in @Gary W. Graley sheaths on my left hip:) Hiroaki Ohta Whittler in zdp-189 (main) and ats-34, and Case/Bose Wilfred Lockback Hunter...both in desert Ironwood burl.

IMG_20190108_015939.jpg

img_20190124_104028-jpg.1060186

img_20190127_082520-jpg.1061922

Anymore the first thing I ask myself is would I carry and cut with it? If I know I would not I will not buy it. Price is not the determining factor. Every knife I have I would cut with. I am careful and only use the right tool for the job and dont abuse mine though BECAUSE of the price. My collection is very small anymore though lately and dont see that changing soon.

My thoughts:::

Was it expensive because it has a fancy handle? Is that handle fragile? In other words was it made to be used or looked at?

If it was made as art, then preserve it.

If it was made to be used. Three more questions. Is it historically significant or sentimental? Or very rare? If yes then preserve it.

If it was made to be used. Is not historical, sentimental or rare. Use it. It’s the only way to truly enjoy it.

Far too many really nice knives and guns sit unused in safes. Only to be lost in floods fires or thefts. I say use them.

I only buy what I plan to carry. That changes over the years and type of circumstances and what is available. My recent purchases and new EDC are PM2 and PM3 in SV35N. I was curious about the steel and turns out I really like it. So I will pay more for a steel I am interested in or a lock type or blade size/shape and sometimes even an interesting scale material. But it is always intended for EDC or a specific use. My one experience with M390 pushed me away from super steels. I prefer something I can easily touch up and don’t mind more frequent sharpening. S35VN is about the top end steel for me. I would like to try XHP and LC200N and maybe 52100 for grins but am happy with VG10, 154CM, CPM154, 1095 and 420HC for most of my knives. My folders now are mostly Spyderco, SAK and Buck, though I had used Benchmade and Kershaw in the past. For fixed blades I like inexpensive Moraknivs, Buck, Ontario, SOG (US models), and Fallkniven, with perhaps a White River, Bark River, or Fiddleback Forge in the future mainly for the steel, and overall design and quality construction.

The only >$200 folder I am considering is a ProTech TR4 as a large auto. Low on priority though. I would also like to get a Buck 112 auto.

However, I learned the hard way how easy it is to lose a knife on the job site or doing yard work. So I limit myself to $50 knife for those situations. For now that is a $40 Kershaw Link.

Knives are tools and should be used to fully appreciate their qualities. Everyone will have a different level of expense at which they exceed their own practical return of utility or enjoyment, and the knife becomes an object of art, or status.

I know it's not the subject of this thread but in reading this thread I keep wondering how so many lose knives? ...

I've been carrying a knife of some sort nearly everyday all day since I was 8 or 9 and I have never lost one ... or been worried I might ... just curious if it's how they carry or ???

I’ve never spent over $250 for a folder. It would be irresponsible for me to buy $500+ dollar knives anyway so I would probably be uncomfortable carrying them on a daily basis.
I know it's not the subject of this thread but in reading this thread I keep wondering how so many lose knives? ...

I've been carrying a knife of some sort nearly everyday all day since I was 8 or 9 and I have never lost one ... or been worried I might ... just curious if it's how they carry or ???

I’ve had a folder clipped to my pants for eighteen years and haven’t lost one yet. I’m right handed and carry in right front pocket.
Sometimes I carry a small flashlight clipped to the left front. At least twice it was pulled from my pocket by the seatbelt in the truck. I believe placement has a lot to do with losing a knife.
And awareness.

Last edited:
Most of the knives in my collection cost between $100-250. I don't usually carry my more expensive knives ($250-450) but I won't let the cost of any knife stop me from carrying it if I feel like it. Why else buy it?

I'm actually carrying my newly acquired CRKT Titanium Hi-Jinx today. Paid $300 for it but its often valued at more than that.

USING the knives is another matter. I actually don't use ANY of the over 300+ knives to cut anything because I don't need to do so. If I need a CUTTING TOOL that I plan to use regularly, I buy one for that purpose but it is NOT a knife that I consider a part of my collection.

I've got many kitchen knives, a couple of utility knives, lots of box cutters, a few gardening knives, saws and axes and also a few cheap folders and Swiss Army knives that I leave in my car just in case I need to use one for an unanticipated purpose. I've also got a couple of hunting/camping knives that I've used for those purposes in the past (and could do so again) but since I don't do any camping/hunting anymore, they don't see any use either.

The only reason that I actually carry a knife is for SD for which I specifically carry a Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika. I also carry a folder (the EDC for the day) "just in case" I need to cut "something" which I almost never do. So, virtually none of the knives in my collection ever experience any use and it doesn't matter if they cost just $10 or $450.

Last edited:
To me, the main reason that I buy expensive knives ($400+ per as of now to my standard) is to enjoy their built quality, fit and finish, and aesthetics; most often not their cutting/slicing performance because frankly most of them actually do not outperform knives in the sub-$200 range, e.g., Spyderco Police 4 K390 for cardboard boxes, Delica 4 or PM2 for daily carry, and SAKs for peeling apples. Therefore, I use much more often those sub-$200 knives than those $400+ ones, and I am not ashamed of that even a bit. They both bring me joys, for different reasons.

I have been carrying the Hinderer XM 18 skinny everyday since I got it. Before that I carried the Zt. If I know I’m going to use a knife roughly I break out my beater Benchmade. Carry the Todd Begg on Sundays, haven’t really used it yet. Not much need on the day off.

Last edited:
Have Hinderer XM-18 Skinny that should be delivered on Monday, going to use it as it was designed for and will be part of my EDC rotation, won't buy a knife that I won't use or carry, not a collector.

I actually put a tiny chip in one of my Hinderer XM-18 3.5" swearpoints today ...

I was making a feather stick to show a friend how ... and the piece of wood he gave me just happened to have part of a screw broken off in it ...

but it won't take much to sharpen it out ... it's still plenty sharp so I'll use it awhile and someday when I have time I'll sit down and fix that.

If it had been last night when he asked ... it would have been a Sebenza in my pocket ...

all week up till last night it would have been a ZT 550 ... you never know when you may do something like this ... but I can't imagine not carrying the knives I like most for a "just in case" scenario

When I got into knife collecting, my purchases were determined by the logo, letters and numbers stamped onto the blade. I utterly dismissed plastics, polymers, G10s as inferior handle materials for the sake of fancy/flashy aesthetics, e.g. carbon fiber, MokuTi, exotic woods, mammoth ivory, bone, etc. However, those alleged inferior materials are far more performance driven and practical for actual cutting tasks and daily carry.

Oh yeah, during that phase, anything manufactured outside of North America or Europe was instantly deemed inferior. (Reate/We Knives/CKF/Svord/and many others proved me wrong! :p).

Only after acquiring many expensive knives (my personal definition: >$200.00), I would notice myself deeply hesitate prior to using them. Indeed, with the exception of "art knives", all knives were created for use; but using a fancy knife to cut down a cardboard box feels like driving a supersport car off-road.

The constant anxiety of carrying and using a HEC knife greatly outweighs the satisfaction of actual cutting.

Nowadays, I love carrying sub-$100.00 knives (current favorites : birk75 / delica). The satisfaction of nonchalantly using them without a worry makes me ever-smile.

My apologies if my minimalistic tendencies offend anybody.

TL;DR: Cheaper knives feel better to use!

I feel exactly the same way. I went all the way up to Hinderer Skinny Slicer, but it was actually kinda stressful carrying it

If I lost it or chipped it etc. Right now I use an Endura 4 at for work and a ZT 0450 (I got discounted for $100) for edc

I still have the s90v carbon fiber/ti spyderco military that I paid $230 for

I still carry it and enjoy it, but that will be the exception and the last high dollar knife I’ll buy

The endura 4 is great: cost, function, weight, ergonomics

I carry multiple knives, typically two per front pocket... usually. One big chonker and another in a slip, usually and another in a slip in the other pocket. Then, I usually have a fixed blade horizontal on the front of my belt, or on a dangler sheath. If i am out and about in town, sometimes I'll have two fixed blades ( I often carry a pair of Ben Tendick knives. A 5 inch Kwaiken carried weak side edge forward, then another 4 inch warncliff that matches. I usually have a neck knife too.

Usually when I loose a knife, it is because the sucker slipped out of a pair of suit pants pockets while driving, or sitting.

Other times, a clipped knife will get hooked.

I had one Buck Cross lock I carried for years. It got lost constantly. Poor clip design, it would walk up, and hop out all over the place. I lost it in the snow multiple times at college. It always came back!! People would walk up to me days later, and hand it back and say, hey, I found this in the snow... I think it is yours.....

Now, I have a missing delica that I am sure is right in the "Safe Spot" where I left it, before going to the beach!! It is not in the actual safe, however...

I went camping this weekend.......

I'm not entirely sure how many knives I had!!

I had two Khukri from HI, three custom knives, a machete, a Silky saw, a tomahawk, three Opinel,

And six Buck knives (a 110 and matching 120 for each of my boys and myself none of which got used).

Now..... I only used the large HI khukri, and two of the Opinel (khukri I made a bunch of little kindling out of a few fence plank remnants... they burn well for starters. I used the Opinel to make some small fuzz sticks and also to dice a pile of potatos, an onion and peppers for dinner.

I believe I made it home with all of them..

kLrkGwO.jpg

Two biggest reasons I hear back from customers on how they lost their knife:

1) Didn't put the knife all the way back into the sheath. My sheaths make an audible "klunk" that also can be felt when seated all the way in. Folks forget and get in a hurry I guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKcsUfjAeM/

2) And this one has amazed me how many times I've heard it. Used the knife for something, put it on the bumper or tailgate and then drove off forgetting the knife was there.

These are the two consistent reasons I've heard from my customers on how they lost their knife.

Customs being used for dinner at a branding:

sQl9awG.jpg

YKkCxwC.jpg

p3ZDGd6.jpg

Last edited:
Two biggest reasons I hear back from customers on how they lost their knife:

1) Didn't put the knife all the way back into the sheath. My sheaths make an audible "klunk" that also can be felt when seated all the way in. Folks forget and get in a hurry I guess.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKcsUfjAeM/

2) And this one has amazed me how many times I've heard it. Used the knife for something, put it on the bumper or tailgate and then drove off forgetting the knife was there.

These are the two consistent reasons I've heard from my customers on how they lost their knife.
You can add "just sat it down" and walked away from it. In my case, I have done #2, but never lost one that way as I close the tail gate. I have set expensive cameras on the roof of my pickup and driven off. That's troubling, but I have done it several times. The more gadgets you might use, the higher the chance of just leaving it somewhere. More than anything in my case, loosing generally means I set them down somewhere inside my house and can't remember where I put them; they turn up.

....I went camping this weekend.......

I'm not entirely sure how many knives I had!!

I had two Khukri from HI, three custom knives, a machete, a Silky saw, a tomahawk, three Opinel,

And six Buck knives (a 110 and matching 120 for each of my boys and myself none of which got used).
I do the same thing car camping with cutting tools of one kind or another.

Haha, the bumper thing or top of the truck/car is so true. Never lost a knife that way but I have a couple pairs of sunglasses that stung a little. Many times I drive away and see my coffee cup or water bottle go off one side or the other of my rig. One of my Swells is so dented up it won't stand up anymore.

Back