1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  4. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Anyone buy knives from a European retailer??

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by DavidZ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Has anyone had experience buying a knife from a European dealer?
    Please share your successes and failures, problems and hidden costs etc.
    Any trouble with customs? A knife I cannot get here is calling me.:D
    I would love to hear from the more experienced.

2. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    ***LINK REMOVED. DO NOT LINK TO NON-BFC DEALERS***

Their site was not set up to take U.S. addresses and I had to get creative to input mine. Other than that, there were no problems with the order.

That was my only knife, but I regularly buy books and CDs from Europe. If you make a purchase in a foreign currency, find out first what your credit card charges for that: it can range from 0% to 4%. If you use a Master or Visa card with PayPal, you have the option of letting PayPal handle the currency exchange.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks for the information. Was their a customs fee? I am looking at a Italian Retailer.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  4. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    Please don't link to non-paying BFC dealers. Links removed and thread moved to correct forum.

5. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    There should be no customs due if declared value (and actual value) is under $200. I've never ordered anything from Italy; some eBay merchants won't ship there..

6. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks for the information!

7. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I did make a purchase from a Finnish dealer recently. The price on the knife fluctuated a bit, mostly due to Euro and USD conversion ratio. It was quickly shipped, packaged properly, and reached me within 2 weeks. No hidden fees, or customs, but the value of the knife was around $200.

8. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks for the positive experience!

9. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    I purchased several hard to get SAK alox knives from a German knife dealer who advertises on __________. Shipping was always free, the prices were more than fair, and time of delivery was always less than 7 days. There is also an Italian dealer who sells through this same site, and they are excellent as well.

10. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks - email sent to you.
    Dave

11. mostho

mostho

Mar 5, 2007
    Hello I'm from Italy. If any help needed write me.
    I have ordered from Italian, Finnish and UK retailer with success, any time.
    I have also one good italian retailer that is a friend of mine and has fair prices, well... it depends on what you are looking for.

Cheers

12. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Thank you for the reply. Email sent.
    Dave

13. eschwebach

eschwebach

Jul 16, 2012
    I've had successful experiences ordering from a large Finnish dealer and some German retailers. No issues at all.

14. mostho

mostho

Mar 5, 2007
    Hello David,
    I replied. Any help you know where to contact me.

Cheers.
    Stefano

15. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    Hi Stefano -
    I have replied to your email. Your continuing efforts are sincerely appreciated.
    Thank You
    Dave