Anyone check out the Holt Specter Auctions Today?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SlideRacker, May 17, 2020.

1. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    3 fullly dressed models, damasteel, timascus, etc. One went for $7000. The other two $8000 each. It defies all logic and reason, IMHO. I'm sure their grandkids will be able to flip them for a tidy profit. Lol.

insta9ves likes this.
  2. JRRsix7

JRRsix7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I was keeping an eye on them periodically. Went for more than double what I was personally predicting. I’m happy for the Holts and happy for the people that can drop(hopefully) that type of money on a knife and not interrupt their financial world.

3. Jacobkg

Jacobkg Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2020
    That was insanity! The first auction (3 hour duration) was very exciting as the price slowly rose. Once that one had ended at $7,000 (which both final bidders said was their limit, so it was a case of first to say the magic number) the price floor was set. The next two auctions (one hour each) jumped up in price very quickly. There was a moment of drama when it looked like one bidder in auction 2 jumped the price to $10,000 (before it was revealed they weren’t serious).

With no live sports, this was the most exciting weekend entertainment I’ve seen in a while.

Going into it I had this belief that an auction would give me a chance to finally get a Holt (unlike the 500+ person lotteries) but what I learned is that the mega fans value these knives at least 4x as much as I do.

More auctions next Sunday. Maybe we will hit the magical 5 figures...

4. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    To be honest, I was a lot happier before I got sucked into this whole SpecterMania. So far it’s been nothing but an incredible waste of time and there are too many other nice knives out there, Shiro to name one. Maybe it’s time to refocus.

5. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Wait till the fad is over. Holt is overrated imo, pretty much made primarily for IG pictures(like gareth bull). The reality is most people will never use them, despite all the engineering they put into it.
    I’m sure this is gonna make some butt hurt.

ArchVV likes this.
  6. JQuirl

JQuirl Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2016
    It’s the same as Grimsmo. They put a lot of engineering into their knifes too. A couple of years ago, there were no Norsemans to be found and now they are fairly plentiful. I even saw one sell for $650 the other day... It just takes a couple of yours for the market to catch up. There will be many Specters to be had in a couple of years. (Unless they get discontinued)

insta9ves and Addicted_to_Knives like this.
  7. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    People have lost their minds paying that for a knife that looks like a million other knives on the market.

Even with timascus and damasteel materials increasing the cost to manufacture it's not like it would take any longer for them to make, the one I just looked at on Instagram looks pretty clearly to have been produced by a CNC machine.

I don't get it.

insta9ves, unwisefool and ArchVV like this.
  8. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    The air gets very thin for most folks when the prices reach that altitude. Fiscal distancing severely limits the competition. Maybe it’s a sign that I should put my unused V3 refined on the Exchange for the “bargain” price of 2K. :rolleyes:

Congrats to the Holts on their success.

Phil

954Ink likes this.
  9. JQuirl

Jan 24, 2016
    Funny you should say that. This was a few minutes after when all the hype was still running ramped....

Ok I deleted the screen shots, because It contains personal information. But a person sold a PJ V4 Specter for $2000 right after the auction.

10. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    This is shocking I had no idea but I'm glad these things exist so I can show my fiancee. That way my Busse collection doesn't seem so crazy. What site do you all watch these auctions?

11. JQuirl

Jan 24, 2016
    It’s on FB. I actually enjoy being a part of it, and I think that the Speceter is an incredible knife. But that being said, there are a lot of incredible knives and the hype train just lost control and derailed.

954Ink likes this.
  12. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

13. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    It’s mostly guys with Specters showing off, thinking they’re da man now. “See, look what I got!!”

You have to be nice and drink the Kool-Aid in there or they’ll throw you out. So just play ball and say “Rah Rah Specter”, “Beautiful Knife!” “Congrats!” once in a while.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    insta9ves likes this.
  14. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Do you think it's $5000 worth of incredible?

15. JQuirl

Jan 24, 2016
    55D145F1-7137-47C9-A7AB-8B0C0CD534DC.jpeg

16. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    It's been blessed by the Gods and can kill WhiteWalkers, haven't you heard?

17. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Knives in general are a poor investment. Nobody will be searching to buy or collect these in the future. Not akin to the likes of Lake, Loveless, Bose, Moran etc. where the value has sustained or even increased over time. On the other hand, life is short and if you have the means and it gets you hard, knock yourself out!

JQuirl likes this.
  18. JQuirl

Jan 24, 2016
    This ^ 100%. Is it a $5000 knife for me?.... No, because I live on a working guy’s wage. But if I had mass amounts of disposable income, maybe. Life is short.

19. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Of course they are worth that much money. No fad. There will never be anything else to compare. C'mon man!

evilgreg likes this.
  20. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I wouldn’t touch a holt. A lot of guy on here talk big when it comes to cloner and counterfeiters when it comes to ganzo and other Chinese knife companies, even when they sell original designs. But I guess it’s ok for an American to steal another American intellectual property, not even giving credit to the maker they ripped off. Holt is no better than ganzo.