Anyone Clip Their Folder Outside the Pocket?

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
I just saw a guy with what I think was a right-handed CRKT clipped tip up on the outside of his left front pocket. Unfortunately I couldn't catch him to ask. I've never seen a folder carried this way and was curious if anyone else did this and, if so, the how and why.

I don't really remember what I was cutting but I had a bunch of it to do and didn't have a place to set my knife down. So I left it open and clipped it to the outside of my pocket. But I've never edc like that

Yep, I see it occasionally. People who haven't figured the clip out yet.. Would have told the last guy I saw doing it he was carrying it wrong but saw that he got it from a "Jar of Knives" at the counter of a gas station so figured he had bigger issues..

I've seen my boss do it every now and then, but he carries inside most of the time. I wouldn't edc it that way, only time I could see doing it is if I had a lot of cutting to do in one area, but I had to put the knife down several times with nowhere to put it. I have never done that, but I could see doing it under very special circumstances.

This guy, at least, was EDCing it. I caught him coming out of the sandwich shop I was on my way to.

I usually carry my Gayle Bradley EDC in a ballistic nylon belt loop sheath. It is more convenient than fumbling around with it clipped on my pocket.

I think that some people see that clip and naturally gravitate toward clipping it "on" and not in.
Simply a lack of exposure to alternate methods of carry that certainly will self-correct when reaching for a knife that is no longer there.

I do not question the ways of a Tier 1 operator and neither should you.

Oh. You said CRKT, not CRK. Never mind. He probably does it to remind himself not to put his underwear on the outside of the pants.

Last edited:
Not the same, but I would carry a folder like this clipped into the MOLLE straps on my IBA when I was in the Army. Sometimes with all the other crap you're carrying, your front pants pocket is not as accessible as you might like.

Never saw one and never will do it myself. It's either begging for losing the knife or attracting others' (police included) attention or both.

I have seen some young woman (early 20s) carrying a Benchmade Rukus like this, in an arcade on the boardwalk. Plenty of other families around, and no one batted an eye, which was a nice change of pace, and not what I was expecting for my area.

As I walked by, I said "Nice Benchmade.". Next time I saw her (about 20 minutes later), it was not visable. I was carrying a CRK large 21, and my Misses had a Spyderco Ladybug on her and I was hoping a conversation would spring from it, but no go...
I have never handled a Rukus, and I like the looks of them.

I'm working with a guy in Chicago who carries an El Cheapo knife that way. He actually owns a few nice knives but doesn't carry them. He's a smart guy too, so I don't think it's ignorance, just the way he likes to carry.

Numerous times we've walked through the south loop for lunch and nobody bothered us about the obvious knife hanging from his pocket.

I just saw a guy with what I think was a right-handed CRKT clipped tip up on the outside of his left front pocket. Unfortunately I couldn't catch him to ask. I've never seen a folder carried this way and was curious if anyone else did this and, if so, the how and why.
I see it all the time. I leaves more room in your pocket for the baseball bat! It separates mere posers from the real Operat0rs. ;)

Seriously though, I have to think maybe the user just put the knife away in a hurry and had it oriented the wrong way?

Back