Anyone Clip Their Folder Outside the Pocket?

It always surprises me how natural this is to people trying a clip for the first time. You don’t carry pens like that, why would you clip a knife that way? I may never understand. As someone else said, I can see doing this for ease when you can’t set the knife down but would never edc like this.

Yeah! Definitely the best idea of the year!

aPvlqQU.jpg

Kmb7a5c.jpg

02QJmq5.jpg
His watch band appeared to be nylon too, but I think the knife was a Kershaw whirlwind.

Maybe it's a rebellious style statement , like backwards ball caps , sagging pants , tags left on and pre-ripped clothes ? Well at least they are carrying a knife (until they lose it ) !:rolleyes:

It always surprises me how natural this is to people trying a clip for the first time. You don’t carry pens like that, why would you clip a knife that way? I may never understand. As someone else said, I can see doing this for ease when you can’t set the knife down but would never edc like this.
I think some people see the clip like the clip on a gun holster, clip on a knife pouch for the belt or the more traditional leather pouch/sheath on the belt. My guess is that with some time, they will alter their method although it might take loosing a couple knives before it happens.

Sometimes senile old farts will put on their underwear over their pants

I've seen it before and tried it once years ago. Not for long though. It kept getting snagged on things and being ripped off of my pocket.

Yeah, me too. I didn't do it for very long. After the first time it fell off, that was enough.

I've done it a few times, but only when the knife was getting used, put away, used.... lots, and the pocket was easier to clip outside of and then re-reach due to the confined space. did it some while working wearing bib-overalls, in the chest panel. But not as a normal carry, just clip exposed risks the knife getting caught, nevermind the entire knife.

I sent my father a new Benchmade Small Summit Lake as a gift a few years back. He was in his early 80s then. He has worked outdoors his entire life and always carried a pocket knife (folder in pocket or in a belt sheath).

I asked him over the phone if he liked the new knife. The first thing he said was "It is very nice but if I clip this on my belt I feel I am sure to loose it."

It only took a minute to explain that the clip is for holding it inside his pocket. Having never seen that mode of carry it was not instantly obvious to him how to carry it. My father has not watched Tyler on YouTube demonstrate a hundred knives being carried in his pocket like many of us have.

,,,Mike in Canada

I haven't read the boards in a while and I think this subject came up last time I was following the discussions here. LOL

I've said this before somewhere around here. I've done this on occasion mainly because my pockets are no longer deep enough for even a Mini Grip or a Delica-sized knife to clip securely to the inside of my pockets (big thanks to clothing manufacturers, for deciding women's pockets should be for decoration only).
So if you see me with a mini grip or a shuffle or anything else clipped to the outside of my pocket, you'll understand three things:
1) I know it's supposed to be clipped on the inside
2) I'm really not trying to attract attention
3) It doesn't fit inside my front pockets and I'm actually less likely to lose it if I clip it to the outside

Alternatively, I'll clip them inside my back pockets. Either way, there's a method to what seems like madness.

The fake pockets are driving the accessories industry! I wish I could carry a purse with a glock 43 and a fixed blade without drawing attention! That’s what my ex-wife did for years (except it was a glock 19)

Back