Anyone else picking up the SuperLeaf?

Don W

Gold Member
I saw that these were available at closeout prices and decided to snag one. Sweet knife! It has not bumped the Manix2 out of my pocket, but one day it may. The Manix2 fits my hand a little better, both my wife and daughter like the Feel of the SuperLeaf better. I have never used that type of lock before, so that is something that will take some time to get used to.
superleaf_zps0e8bcdfa.jpg

manixsuperleaf_zps14032f32.jpg

I've been tempted to. I love the size of the Manix 2, and I really want to try the compression lock. I've been waiting for a Para 2 at a reasonable price, but they are scarce! The SuperLeaf looks like a good alternative.

I've had mine since they came out and I love it. I've bought many knives since then but the Superleaf still gets the most pocket time. Its a heavy duty knife that still cuts very well. There's nothing about this knife that I don't love, which has me wondering why it wasn't popular.

You're probably right, they're competitively priced. The PM2 just never grew on me. Which is a shame because I prefer S30V and US made products when possible.

Last edited:
It might be an aesthetic thing. I prefer the look of the PM2 over the SuperLeaf, but that wouldn't keep me from trying out a SuperLeaf. You may prefer the looks of the SL over the PM.

I wonder if they'd ever consider a sprint run with a 3V blade.

I thought about that, but I believe the Seki City made Spydercos strictly use Japanese steels.

Feels like a Manix but sort of like the PM2......I think the super leaf is one of the most overlooks knife out there. Many don't like the handle rear.....but it's leaf like. I have one now being pimped od green by Ryan of the knife maker section...

I loved the handle of the SuperHawk, but gifted that away, and have been itching to try out a SuperLeaf, but it never really happened for me. Still might pick one up, but there are a lot of other knives that I am looking at now. Seems like this was the case for many with the SuperLeaf, it was always a "Maybe next time, right now I really want that other one" type of knife.

The superleaf was on my top 4 list as I struggled to decide between the Manix2 g-10, sage3, superleaf, and yojimbo. I really like the look of the jimping on manix2 and so I leaned towards that even though I wanted the compression lock. The sage3 was in between. In the end-it was between the manix2 and y2 and the y2 won becuase I-like you-found the $150 Y2 at a closeout <$119 price. So i made the jump in my budget and am happy with the Y2. Now-I will bet that as soon as I unload my Persistence I'll have the perfect excuse for a larger leaf blade and the superL and Manx2 will be the top 2. good luck

I like the knife and its is very tempting to buy at current prices, unfortunately I really have to watch funds.

I've had one for quite some time now and it remains one of my favorite mid sized folders. Been carrying it at work a lot lately. I actually find I prefer the ergos on the Superleaf to those of the Para 2.

I've always been intrigued by this one. Good lock, good blade shape, right size, good clip and the handle looks super comfy. That huge pommel seems like it might be bothersome in the pocket though.

Might have to look into the leaf again...

You'd be hard pressed to find a "hard use" knife that is comparable to the SuperLeaf at the price point it's currently going at (100 bucks and change).

The fit/finish on my example is top notch. The knife is overbuilt in all the right places and still works as a superb utility knife. It's a great slicer, even with the 4mm thick blade. Spyderco knows their blade geometry :thumbup:

The similarities in design have always struck me as very close to a Strider SNG...... luckely this YouTube reviewer did an impressive overview of both:

[youtube]X-qoaBgbZb4[/youtube]

I bought a Superleaf on discount from being discontinued. It is nice, but i prefer the Manix 2 XL.

JD

I thought the Superleaf was going to be my grail Spyderco, but I was wrong. The first time I tried to reach into my pocket I knew it wouldn't work for me. That 'hook' on the butt that makes it so comfortable to hold also makes it really difficult to squeeze your hand into your pocket to get your keys, change, etc. If the edges are even remotely rough they carve a furrow into the back of your hand.

It turns out the Para2 was my grail knife.

I'd give one a shot, I'm liking the idea of such a thick blade for work. That said, I'm not too crazy about that goofy pommel.... doesn't seem like something to write home about.

I had my doubts, but I gave it a try. To me it's the perfect ESEE folder. :D

Back