Anyone else think there should be a Griptilian XL?

Maybe a half inch more of handle and a half inch more of blade? I think it would be a nice oversized folder for outdoor work.

Have you tried a normal full sized Gritilian? Plenty big for most jobs outdoors. What would you be using it for?
I EDC a full sized Ritter, I wouldn't want anything bigger in my pocket.

Personally, no. I don't even like the feel of the full size Grip, so that would just make more of it to not like...
I know some people like huge knives, but I never understood the need for a really big folder. If I need a knife that big, I will use a fixed blade knife. YMMV of course

I'd be up for it. What I'd really like to see is a 4-5" 520. I hope Benchmade makes a knife exactly like the 520 in the future but with M390 or Elmax steel.

I would like to see a 6" bladed Benchmade. I have two Rukus 610's and would love a Rukus 605 :)

I would like to see a 6" bladed Benchmade. I have two Rukus 610's and would love a Rukus 605 :)

They came close with the LFK:
http://www.benchmade.com/products/13220

i have and love the Rukus's also but mine don't get carried because I'm safe queening them. Took me years to get finally get them.

I had the LFK too and gifted it. To tell you the truth it felt weird in hand. Terrible balance but now I wish I kept it just to have.

I think knives like the 551 have enough blade length. Anything larger should be fixed. Biggest Benchmade ever owned, and which made for a great kitchen knife was the 741 Onslaught. Fun knife but not pocket friendly.

I know it all comes down to preference so I don't think there is any right or wrong.

The first quality knife I carried while working was an AFCK with a 4" blade. I carried that knife for years so to me that size was and still is "Normal" not large at all. .

Carried it daily, I've climbed rope ladders, squeezed threw scuttles, you name it and I never found the size to be a hindrance. Didn't even notice it to tell you the truth.

But I get many just use their blades for ordinary around the house tasks and the like and have no need for a larger sized blade or it doesn't offer any advantage to them so I'm just glad many companies offer various sizes to meet a variety of needs. Nothing wrong with more choices I say.

I agree that having choices is a good thing. We all like different stuff. But I really have to wonder why people would want such a big folder ?
A knife with a smaller blade will handle just about any tasks most people will ask of it. I think some people underestimate them.
I see people with huge hunting knives and wonder why they find it necessary to have such a huge knife. They are cumbersome, harder to control, and you can only use so much blade when working on a critter. IMHO it just makes the task more difficult.

That said, there are companies that make huge folders, and there seems to be a market for them.

I know a regular Grip is big, I have one in my pocket right now. I just think an "XL" version would be cool. It'd be nice to see how it would perform.

Everyone I work around uses a 3 inch or less folder, emphasis on "work".
A few of them carry a 3 inch plus folder, but I never see them "use" them, only pull out and flip open occasionally.
But then, "cool" sells - bad for those of us who require the use of a knife in our everyday jobs/tasks.
Not saying there's not a task a larger blade would do better, just that it's very very limited.

Everyone I work around uses a 3 inch or less folder, emphasis on "work".
A few of them carry a 3 inch plus folder, but I never see them "use" them, only pull out and flip open occasionally.
But then, "cool" sells - bad for those of us who require the use of a knife in our everyday jobs/tasks.
Not saying there's not a task a larger blade would do better, just that it's very very limited.

Good for them. A small folder is just the thing for some people. I on the other hand think a bigger folder is better for farm work and woods work which is the primary use for any of my knives.

How about a XL grip built like a Adamas?
There doesn't seem to be any problem selling the Adamas.

There's plenty of instances where having a "larger" blade offers an advantage or is the better tool for the job. I also realize that not everyone has that need for their day to day cutting tasks but I wouldn't dismiss their usefulness. Just as I don't dismiss the usefulness of smaller blades either.

The AFCK, TSEK, Skirmish, and Rukus were best sellers and now highly sought after. The 710 is still going strong after 16 years and the Contego and Adamas are best sellers now so there's definitely a market for them. The Grip sure has it's fans so I don't see how making one slightly larger, say a 4" model would be a bad thing. For some of us anyway.

Just did some looking. One great alternative for those looking for basically the same 551 blade shape is the discontinued 151 Fixed Griptilian. At 4.16" there's a larger blade, and am sure they're still to be found.

Just did some looking. One great alternative for those looking for basically the same 551 blade shape is the discontinued 151 Fixed Griptilian. At 4.16" there's a larger blade, and am sure they're still to be found.

I agree. I have always liked the look of the 151, jut never pulled the trigger.

I have a Kershaw Echo,and really like it. I doubt I would look twice at a Benchmade 151.

Back