Anyone else use a shemagh or other headwrap?

I can say that those did spark my curiosity, but I don't have a need for that right now.

Yeah, right... And I don't have a need for umpteen more knives, either! :D

Anyhoo, I just don't know what I'd use it for. I am lacking in the hair department, as well, but I usually wear a hat.

I have one.. But up here in the Pacific North Wet (not a typo) we have a saying.. Cotton Kills. It's slow to dry and can generally be a pain in the butt!

HOWEVER, if you are using them in the Desert SW (West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California) I have found them to be practical, and useful.. Imagine that, a desert tool that works in the desert!!

I say go for it!

I like those Buff things, they come in bandana patterns and look just like one when put on right.
You can get just as much coverage without looking like an insurgent and they are also not cotton so dry better.

I have one.. But up here in the Pacific North Wet (not a typo) we have a saying.. Cotton Kills. It's slow to dry and can generally be a pain in the butt!

HOWEVER, if you are using them in the Desert SW (West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California) I have found them to be practical, and useful.. Imagine that, a desert tool that works in the desert!!

I say go for it!

Exactly, it gets pretty hot around here! ANd I like that it can be used as a towel, or even strung up for a small shade is pretty cool. For 12 bucks, it's worth a shot.

i;ve been wanting check oine of those out, for a while now.....:thumbup: let me know what you think after you get it.....:D

mike

Will do, I put in my order today, so hopefully I'll get it quick ;)

I was trying to find a reason to buy one of those. Seems multi-purpose and sometimes the best ways are the native ways.

I actually leaned toward the OD micro-fiber towels for a while, too, for pretty much the same purposes. Any experience with those?

THE HITCH-HIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY suggests that one should always know where their towel is.

I use a shemagh made from a white cotton sheet, cut down and sewn to the right size. I avoid the traditional style shemaghs as Palestinian sympathisers have taken to wearing them, and this is not the image I want to project.

Its a fantastic bit of kit when travelling in hot and dusty climates - depending on circumstances, I either do the full head wrap, Saudi style with a headband, or use it as a light scarf around the neck and wear a lightweight wide-brimmed straw hat on top. It really is the perfect desert headwear.

Thank God! I'm not the only one that's been looking at those hot and heavy. I really like the idea but I'm not sure how practical it would be. DO tell how it works out. Would love to see some pics as well if you're not terribly opposed to it.

I saw it also and it is interesting. I can't think of why it would be better than my nylon cap or my bandana that I use as a triangle and tie on my head.

Anyone clue me in? :confused:

KR

My head is too big for a regular bandana. My wife made me some that were 30" square and they are great. I have a shemagh too, but live near Portland and wearing it in public aligns me with the wrong crowd.

the point behind it is that you can use it for many things. If you know how to wrap it you can leave only the eyes open this cuts down on the glare too. You use to to cover your body from the sun. Think of all the things you can use the bandana for and now make it larger. I think you get the idea. We all know that there should be a bandana in your kit. I used an old bed sheet that i cut up.

Sasha

seems like an oversized bandanna... could prolly make one pretty cheap.

and the darker colors prolly get pretty warm in the desert, would think tan or white would be most preferred.

Yep I got plenty of hats and bandanas that I will still wear, but there seems to be lots of versatility with this thing. I too am afraid of looking like some sort of bad guy, so will most likely not wear it as shown covering my face.
Seems like there are plenty of ways to wear it and use it. Will make a great head and neck wrap when night comes too.

http://www.actiongear.com/agcatalog/shemagh.html has the instructions for wearing. There are many ways of wearing them, so this is just one.

Here's a little history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh . It gives a good backgound on the link to the Palestinians.

Other than the politics of wearing one, it would be handy in a lot of ways-- towel, first aid, and so on. I wouldn't wear one to the airport unless I wanted to get probed and questioned!

They are 44"-45" (115cm) square and joking aside, you could make a nice one from a tablecloth-- just use some light breathable fabric. I can see me headed down the trail with the spaghetti sauce stain somewhere on my head :)

I carry a fleece scarf for cold weather camping and it makes good head and face cover and helps seal cold air in a sleeping bag. I aways have a bandana too and bandanas have been used for sun and dust protection for 100+ years.

I have one. I find it to be quite useful here in the desert. Really nice for those winter nights. They can be very warm. I don't wear it much anymore, because of the negative image it projects. If camping on the rim I always throw it in my kit.

They are nice in the hot dry climates. I've had a couple for over 20 years but only wear one once or twice a year, usually deer hunting. I have never thought about the politics because where I hunt it is private property miles from town. It does make sense not to wear one in town.

Years ago when I first started shooting archery I couldn't figure out how to get my hat brim out of the way of my bow string. The Marine corp had all ready decide how long my hair was to be so I went to a bandanna. The regular ones were way to small so I make my own. Very useful and the way I tie mine I look more like a pirate than a Palestine.
A wide brim hat is better but I still cant get the brim out of the way of the bow string after thirty years of shooting, and a hat doesn't fit under a helmet like a bandanna does.

I think I was born wearing a cowboy hat but every now and then I pick something else. A cowboy hat doesn't work with a frame pack, darn it.

Back