Anyone have a Canis

How do you like yours ? I've watched several vids and still can't decide. Back and forth....
I wear an xl glove, is the handle going to be long enough ?
Pros and cons.

Was just thinking of this knife too and wondering...

Hope owners share their thoughts!

I have them, and Yojimbo2. Canis has a more comfortable handle(at least for my hand) because it doesn’t have the sharp “points” or humps the Yo2 handle has. The handle should be large enough for XL hand and is more neutral despite the middle hump.

I like the more robust tip of Canis, even though the very end of the tip is still very thin, but should be less fragile than Yo2. Side note: i know Michael Janich mentioned that he wanted Yo2 to have hollow grind for more robust tip, but I actually think it’s the hollow grind that made the tip too thin. If it’s in FFG it’d probably have a stronger tip, due to more gradual taper.

Note that Canis is almost like a hawkbill with straight edge because it has a negative angle, while Yo2 has a straighter profile. You can hold it almost like a pistol grip and the tip aligns with your thumb. So it’s easier to “give point” if you know what i mean.

The only downside of Canis is that the detent is still too light compared to Yo2, or any Golden models. This seems to be a very common issue with the Taichung made models.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived and absolutely love it !
Perfect detent , centered blade. Beautiful action and of course fit and finish is perfection. Feels great in my hand and very balanced. Slid it in my pocket and rides nice and comes out effortlessly. My personal opinion is it’s a perfect EDC along with everything else it was designed for :thumbsup:
s4DDWhN.jpg

I've had mine for almost a month now. I couldn't describe my thoughts any better than The Factor's description just above (Post #7). The detent is not quite as strong as I'd like but it does its job fine as-is. Great EDC knife and a bargain for the money.

First day of carry and love this thing even more. Look at that sexy blade and love how the spydie on the clip is nice and black. Just a small detail but it’s a nice touch. But omg that blade is sweetness !!!
TDAkVeS.jpg

MEw8Nkc.jpg

According to those feedbacks it seems like a wonderful fidget toy. But what about the cutting performance ? Is the Canis reasonably slicy ?

According to those feedbacks it seems like a wonderful fidget toy. But what about the cutting performance ? Is the Canis reasonably slicy ?
I must of missed the wonderful fidget toy posts. To answer your question it seems to be reasonably slicy. Although obviously the knife was designed more on the self defense tactical side it does make a great fidget toy also ;) To answer your question It slices threw receipt paper like a laser making S’s at will. Push cuts pretty much at any angle or direction. Sliced up a TV dinner box with no issues and only a little drag but not a problem. Is it as slicy as full flat grind spyderco absolute not but more then adequate IMO.
Hope that helps from my short term use.

Thank you for your cuting feedback TheFactor, much appreciated. I was also debating for a long time between the Yo2 and the Canis, but my wife recently ended my dilemma by saying none of them.

I wrote about fidget toy because of all the feedback centered about the look and the action. I hope it was not perceived in a sarcastic way because it was not. To digress a little bit, that seems to be common with a lot of Youtubers who will talk about 20 mn about a knife without even using it once.

Wonderful pictures btw, I would have gone for a Canis myself (had I not had a wife).

Thank you for your cuting feedback TheFactor, much appreciated. I was also debating for a long time between the Yo2 and the Canis, but my wife recently ended my dilemma by saying none of them.

I wrote about fidget toy because of all the feedback centered about the look and the action. I hope it was not perceived in a sarcastic way because it was not. To digress a little bit, that seems to be common with a lot of Youtubers who will talk about 20 mn about a knife without even using it once.

Wonderful pictures btw, I would have gone for a Canis myself (had I not had a wife).
A happy wife is a happy life as a rule of thumb lol. Sometimes describing the action and feel in hand I guess does fall into the fidget toy category :)
Thanks for the compliment on the pictures it’s much appreciated. I’ll be cutting up some rope in a day or so and definitely will post the results and my thoughts .
Choosing between a Yo2 and Canis would be a hard choice. I’d give the nod early on to The Canis but it may be a little bias since I’m still on the honeymoon with the Canis and it’s a new and exciting knife. Imo I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. If your splitting hairs in my hand the Yo2 feels slightly better but not by much. The Canis though feels more balanced and natural.
Keep in mind it’s just my personal preference and feeling I’m getting .

Last edited:
I might request to have this thread shut down: You guys are doing too good a job at convincing me I need one of these in my life! :D

I've already spent too much lately and all this praise and the fancy pictures aren't helping.

I might request to have this thread shut down: You guys are doing too good a job at convincing me I need one of these in my life! :D

I've already spent too much lately and all this praise and the fancy pictures aren't helping.
Did I mention I really like this one :p
Seriously it’s a nice knife and very happy with my decision to get one.
If you need any more pics just let me know :D

Back