anyone here heard of RJ Martin?

RJ Martin is a very well know top maker for many years now, great work, but i must say i'm surprised no one here mentioned his 3 to 4 year wait here, i have one of his knifes on order and it's been two years without a word since i ordered it, since i'm thinking about it right now i think i will email Randy to see if i'm on his list for 2004 delivery? Did i mention his knifes are worth the wait! LOL hehe

Cheers!
James

Maskaw,

The four knives below the folder are:

The Vanguard Trek

The Vanguard Quest

The Vanguard Oddessy

The Vanguard Pathfinder.

There will be more information on the Pathfinder in the upcoming issue of Tactical Knives.

Or you can click on the web site address underneath the signature line of this post.

Originally posted by Les Robertson

I won't say more, so I don't get in trouble with Gus and Blues.

...Thanks, Les. (Snuck one in there though, huh? ;))

(Since I busted Les' chops a little, I'll give the devil his due by saying that I've enjoyed my Kozuka #1 which I received via Les some time ago.)

All: Thanks for your kind words! You have made my week, possibly my month. The past few years have been a strange time for me-My father passed away, my job as Chief of Design on the MH-60S Helicopter at Sikorsky consumed virtually all of my time, and, we spent this entire spring deliberating over, and preparing to move to Massachusetts. Yes, I am now full time. I have my "ultimate shop" set up, and have the daily routine squared away to the point where it has some useful structure to it.
My one regret during all this time was not meeting my committments to my customers on a consistent basis. Well, I'm focusing on that now with considerable intensity, and, I'm making progress. If you are on my waiting list, or have placed an order, PLEASE contact me by email and I'll work with you to get you properly prioritized.
As usual, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and, that guy Les Robertson squeaks really loud! (I think his bearings may be shot!) He has been a very positive influence on my work and business approach, as you can see from all the Vanguard knives in the first photo.
What I am most excited about right now is my new CNC machine, a Brisgeport Explorer X-26. I have been teaching myself how to use this incredibly accurate machine, and the long hours of trial-and error are bearing fruit. Les WILL have the U235 Auto Prototype at the Vegas Show, although I will not be in attendance. This is the first desigh that fully utilizes the CNC-All parts were made in my shop, roughed out by me personally. Of course, all the blade grinding, contouring and finish work is still done by hand. I'm pretty fired up about this design-Les pushed me hard to do it, and, that was a big help.
Anyway, a website update is long overdue, so please be patient until I can get it done. I'll be attending the ECCKS show in March-Please stop by and see what's new.

Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin
www.martinsite.com

Wow, chief of design on the Sikorsky MH-60S helicopter. I never knew that was what you did in your other life. That really is impressive. Not as impressive as that edge you get on your knives, but just about.

RJ-

Keep up the great work!!! I for one am very excited about the possibility of your folders becoming available sometime soon!!

hey, RJ

squeeeeeeek

and remember, think Frame-lock! Great to hear you are full time, best wishes and good luck. I have a feeling you will do just fine :)

Les Robertson

Thanks for answering my question, I look forward to that issue of Tactical Knives. The Pathfinder looks to be an excellent chopper and the materials used are first rate (not to mention the maker).

There will be 10 of these (Vanguard series) but they will not have the plastic grips on the bolster and clip--and those are definitely carbon fiber scales.

u235s.jpg

u235bs.jpg

Thanks Les!

(edited for clarity, see comments below)

Another nice DA for your collection, Steve! I see you didn't leave Vegas empty handed.

Randy, don't worry much about the web site. The extremely high quality of your knives speak very well for themselves and their maker! And the edge, ahhh that edge-Randy's blades are the sharpest anywhere and the only edges that have exceeded my expectations of sharpness and I am a fanatic about sharpness!!!

I started buying RJ's blades a long time ago when he had a 4 to 5 month wait! I now have quite a few of his blades and let me say that even though his wait is now measured in years, his knives are very much worth the wait.

Well, thanks a lot Sabre. After seeing your first pic, it made me realize what a mistake I made by selling the Oddessey that I owned last year. I called up Les and ordered the last Oddessey. This one is going nowhere. I'm also on R.J.'s list for a custom or two.

SAS,

Thanks for getting such a good picture of the U235 up. One comment, the knife does not have plastic grips. The scales are Carbon Fiber.

I think you may have been referring to the checkered G-10 piece on the bolster. This will not be there on the series of 10.

Steve has a knife that will always be instantly identifiable as the Prototype!

Those of you going to the East Coast Custom Knife Show next month. Will be able to see another prototype of a new tactical fixed blade that RJ and I are doing.

Danbo, good thing you ordered that knife when you did. Two orders were waiting for it when I got back from Vegas! The Vanguard Oddessy by RJ Martin is sold out.

Les, you're quite correct, that was an imprecise description. I don't know if there is a proper name for the G-10 pieces on the bolster and clip, but "grips" definitely leads to confusion. Maybe it's better that they won't be there on the production version.

Well...better for me, anyway. :)

Back