Anyone here read comic books?

Just curious. Please give age.

I am turning 18 in about one month and here are the series that I am currently following with a short description. The description may sound stupid, but it is not. Please, no spoilers.

Fables: Magical and fairy tale creatures and people (three little pigs, snow white, prince charming, etc) are refugees in New York City after being driven out by a powerful enemy from their magical homeland. The arcs in the story are diverse, ranging from murder mystery, romance, and war with great stand alone stories between them. Check this series out if you ever wondered what happened to your classic fable characters after "happily ever after".

Ex Machina: A mayor with super hero powers. Discusses political and social events. As another reviewer said "it is Ironman meets the West Wing". If you are a fan of political drama, this should be enjoyable.

Y: The Last Man: An unknown disease has killed every single male on earth except a young man and his monkey. Sex is the last thing this "lucky" fellow is getting though. An unique exam on the social relationship between males and females. A good read for anyone, even for those who never read a comic book before.

Runaways: Six teenagers just found out their parents are evil. No, not like "go to sleep young man" evil, more like Osama/Darth Vader/Lex Luther evil. A great story with great characters. If you got kids, give them this to read and they will be glad that you are evil but not supervillian evil.

100 Bullets: Neo noir hard boiled story. If you like action/crime/noir, read this.

I am also buying "Justice" series by Alex Ross and Batman and Robin by Frank Miller.

Other comic books I enjoyed.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: The Killing Joke
Watchmen
Kingdomcome
Bizarro Comic/World

I'm 25 and i used to collect comic books. The height of my comic book collecting was when i was about 15-16. After that comics started to get real expensive and i couldn't afford them any longer. I've always wanted to start again but never really got to it.

Wolverine and Batman were usually my favourites. I never really got into Image Comics other than Spawn. Still like the older superheroes.

Yeah... I used to collect. I've got about 24 long boxes full. :eek: Got too expensive, especially after I got back into butterfly knives. My favorites were the X-men before the became popular (or, rather, as they were first becoming popular), then I moved on to the cosmic titles like the Fantastic Four (have all back to issue 11, 1963) abd the Silver Surfer (have all, period, until I stopped collecting.

Check out www.comicboards.com for the best message board on the net dedicted to comics. I know because I help run things over there.

In a mispent youth I used to collect x-men and wolverine and some of the
Graphic novels. I still have them around, I just don't read the new ones
anymore. And I used to like the Punisher series.

Iwas a comic book collector & still consider myself as one I'm 71 & have comics that date back to the 40's.My Favorites was The Lone Ranger, The Spirt,Superman, Captain Marvel,Green Lantern,Hawkman The Human Torch,The Punisher, Woverine,Tarzan ,Lil Abner Just to mention a few.Right now it's hard finding where to buy them

Yes, I still read them. I have mostly moved to just picking up TPBs and graphic novel, however. Its just easier to keep up with them, not to mention cheaper in most cases.

Series that Im in the process of reading:

Transmetropolitan
Rising Stars
Red Star
100 Bullets

Old Favorites:

Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
Sandman
V for Vendetta
Midnight Nation
Batman: The Killing Joke
Sin City
Watchmen

Im about to turn 19 by the way.

I don't collect comics, I just read them. I got into comics around two years ago, so I mostly have the trades. The bad thing is that I want to safe money by only buying the trades, so I have to wait like half a year or so to follow up a series when it comes out in trades.

Eagleblade: Whoa, I bet alot of your comics from the 40s are worth alot.

Grim/Don: I'm going to check out your link

I'm 22 and I don't read many anymore but I do draw and write my own.It's still a work in progress.However I do like Punisher and Predator comics.

I am 62, 63 on December 3, and I am still reading the glorified comic books that they call "graphic novels." I am still in withdrawal from the disappearance of the Buffy and Angel TV shows and their spin-off comics. Hell, if Star Trek and Star Wars can keep putting out comics set in their respective universes, why did Dark Knight have to give up on the Buffyverse? It is my guess that there would still be a large public out there buying their books.

The ones that I like that are still around are:
Sandman (and anything else by Gaiman or any Sandman spinoffs, especially the Death pair, Death;The Time of Our Lives and Death: The High Cost of Living. I am also hopelessly addicted to the Lucifer spin-offs. Imagine, if you will, Lucifer getting tired or running Hell and chasing all of the lost souls and demons out, locking the doors, giving the key to someone else and retiring to play a piano in a nightclub in Los Angeles. Of course, being who he is, he can't just do that, so------.)
Hellblazer, except the Brian Azzarello versions
The Preacher, and pretty much anything else by Garth Ennis. I love his rather skewed sense of humor.
Fables (Yes, I like them very much)
Age of Bronze, by Eric Shanower. The first two of what appears to be a very long series retelling the story of the Trojan War, but with all of the various bits and pieces of Greek myth that connect to that story tied into it, not just Homer's Illiad and Odyssey. The first two are The Thousand Ships and Sacrifice. I will tell you that the illustrations are very accurate to what we know of Bronze Age Mycenaean culture and warfare, although I haven't seen anyone in a Dendra Panoply yet. There have been lots of Figure 8 shields and those lovely Bronze Age rapiers, as well as very believable boars' teeth helmets.

Oh, and another pair, the two Enemy Ace graphic novels by Robert Kanigher. These are absolutely wonderful little gems. And another interesting one is a one-shot by Warren Ellis, recently revised, called The Ministry of Space about an imaginary British space program and how it was financed.

I'm 35 and I don't read comics, but I still have most of mine from when I was a kid and teenager. My favorites were the horror comics that contained complete short stories. I just couldn't get interested in the superhero serials - only getting a portion of the story each episode. I do have several Thing comics that were complete stories.

-Bob

Should also add that my current personality was probably shaped by reading many, many Mad Magazines in my pre-teen and teen years. They have a lot to answer for...

Should also add that my current personality was probably shaped by reading many, many Mad Magazines in my pre-teen and teen years. They have a lot to answer for...[/QUOTE]

LOL, "snappy answers to stupid questions" has gotten me into more than a
few "problems" :D

Well, I do have some Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side and Usagi Yojimbo books, along with a few imports like OL Shinkaron, Blade of the Immortal, Berserk and Vampire Princess Miyu, but I'm not a collector.

V the last Man looks good, but I'm reading right now

Hellboy

BPRD

Cavewoman

Poison Elves

and some others I can't think of right now, I have a list of my subscriptions at my desk, but I don't have access to it right now. I will tell you that all of the ones listed above are independents, and are hard to get on time. The creator of Hellboy is working on the second Hellboy movie and just put out a 2 issue miniseries, the creator of Poison Elves might be dead, he hasn't put out a new issue in about a year and has been on deaths doorstep for a while now, BPRD is put out more frequently than Hellboy, but is just as unknown, and Cavewoman is so sporadic that it is usually cancelled every several months in the order catalog. Although, it is worth checking out. If you can afford trade paperbacks, get those. I'll come back with a list of good series tomorrow.

Oh yeah, check out LIberty Meadows, you can probably get some collections cheap on eBay. Your local comic shop will overcharge you for back issues, so unless you can find them online, buy some trades. I bought my Hellboy trades for about 4 bucks each on eBay, deals can be found.

Rat Finkenstein

Gold Member
Yahmanin said:
No one's mentioned Usagi Yojimbo yet...

Actually, they were mentioned a couple posts above. ;) I have read some of them, and they were excellent. I found them at the local public library once when I was a kid, and they must have been stolen, because I never could find them again. :(

Here's some of my favourites;
Bryan Talbot's Luther Arkwright Books,
From Hell. by Alan Moore.
Neil Gaiman's Sandman.
Jamie Delano's work on the early Hellblazer.
I used to collect comic books in my teens, around the time when cool stuff like the Watchmen (I still have my blood splattered :) badge) and The Dark Knight Returns was coming out, had to sell 'em all though. These days I buy the trade paperback editions.
I still buy 2000AD, which for those who don't know it is a British weekly that's been on the go since the mid/late seventies, the quality of art/stories is variable
but always interesting, plus the mighty judge Dredd lives therein. :)

I used to love reading comics but when I turned 14 my folks said it was too childish and cut me off. I hated it for a while, but other interests took over (such as reading actual books like R.E. Howard's Conan series or Edgar Rice Burroughs' Martian series). I didn't lose anything in entertainment value so it was cool. Then, by the time I was 18 or 19 and living on my own I could have bought comix again but I found I had lost interest.

X-Men, Daredevil, FF, Thor plus some other titles. The Question, Green Arrow: the Longbow Hunters, Elfquest, Batman Year One, The Killing Joke, Arkham Assylum, Warlock5, Ashes, Cry for Dawn.

Still have quite a few of them.

Frank

SilverFoxKnows said:
X-Men, Daredevil, FF, Thor plus some other titles. The Question, Green Arrow: the Longbow Hunters, Elfquest, Batman Year One, The Killing Joke, Arkham Assylum, Warlock5, Ashes, Cry for Dawn.

Frank

ASHES? They made a comic book outta me? :eek: ;)

Does "Get Fuzzy" count? That's the only "comic book" I've ever bought, and I have all of them. I love them for both the artistic nature (look at the backgrounds in the pictures!) and because they are so wacky and funny. I even have a couple of them framed in on the wall that leads to my basement.

~ashes

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC