Anyone like METAL handles on folders?

What's WRONG witcha? I realize that many must as there are so many, but for me they're slippery and cold and offer almost no grip on the thing.

:confused: :confused:

I agree . I have a BUCK Tempest and after carefully comparing it to my BM Griptilian I'm seriously considering looking into asking BUCK if they can put a different handle on mine . I love the knife but feel the same as you do about the grip on them . I'll keep ya posted .. Jon ..

What Does'nt Kill You Makes You Stronger !

Tell No Lies , There's Less To Remember !

I tend to agree, too. One of my EDC knives is a nice little Kershaw Leek. I like the knife because of the cool assisted opening mechanism and the nice blade, and in spite of the aluminum handle. I think it would be even better with some scales attached. ;)

While it may sound weird, I like the cool feeling of steel in my hand. I will agree that they can get slippery though, I have a knick or two thanks to that.

Titanium handles (framelock knives) have a warmth to them. They usually are bead blasted and smooth out over time. I like these. I have a metal handle on a BM 720, and find it too slick (it is painted).

Overlord

I agree with the bit about Ti, it's not as cold.
Personally, I really like this one (from Tom Mayo's website)
outdoortalon.jpg

I dont mind aluminum, which usually has a powdercoat and remains grippy. I wish makers would use HAIII though

I have that Gerber Paraframe-all metal;I kinda prefer ether all metal or stainless/Ti liners with something like G-10 scales on a knife...all plastic just don't seem strong ;)

S*E*B*E*N*Z*A !!!

:p

Also Darrel Ralph EDC, Madd Maxx, and CUDA Maxx, and a few others like the SS Cricket and Scorpius, and my multitools.

Once I get a knife in my hot little hands, it's not cold anymore. :D

I am tending towards cleaner and simpler designs, and these are often all metal. I have no problem with them.

I guess it depends on how the handle is done. I'm not opossed to metal handles, there are some I like and some I don't.

I LOVE Victorinox alox knives, they rock. Their handles are quite comfortable and they are textured so they aren't slippy.

Metal handles with wooden inlays (like the ones on a Mnandi) are nice, too. Although I'm not a big fan of rubber and plastic, I have a couple of knives with aluminum handles and kraton inserts that are very comfortable and don't slip (like the older Böker Speed Locks).

I don't like Spyderco's plain SS handles. They look nice, and I actually like my knives hefty, but I tried them once on a Police and was always worrying that the damned thing would fall out of my hand. Luckily Spyderco offers other handle options.

I agree. Too cold for me. Have slowly gotten rid of all my metal handled blades, save a couple. Just sold a Buck 560. Just have a CRKT and a Spyderco SS Delica still hanging around. All the rest are bone, delrin, FRN, G-10, micarta, rubber, etc.

I like the Spyderco R2 which is currently my edc -- the almite coated skeletonized handle just fits my hand perfectly, and I am not too concerned about it being slippery -- I don't have a police model stainless for that reason -- I know that one would be slippery and hard to hold on to. My other folder is a Benchmade AFCK 806 D2 with g10, and g10 scales are my preferred material, but the AFCK is too large for my edc.

I like metal handles a lot....more than G10 on some knives...it just feels so solid. I have two titanium knives that are great, but one of them scratches up too easily...the sheath itself actually scratches the handle. I also like how it looks more than anything else.

Overall, it's a pretty close competition between G10 and metal for me.

I like metal handles, but doing them well does require a somewhat different approach from most other materials. Not only do they need some kind of texturing, they really need to be shaped to provide a positive grip. Flipper knives that provide a lower-guard when open go a long way toward that. Well-designed grip ergonomics also make a huge difference.

I know I'll get roasted for this, but I never felt that the grip on my large Sebenza was secure enough. On the other hand, I have no concerns about my Aftermath, Dominator, Bump, or Boa, all of which feature lower guards, texturing, and contours that fit the hand. My Leek, which offers only one of the three, is probably adequate, but has never made me confident of my grip.

The great thing about metal handles is that they make it possible to design a very thin, and therefore pocket-friendly, knife. I am also a fan of minimalism and a well-executed framelock is a thing of beauty as well as being very effective.

--Bob Q

Back