Anyone mod a Rifleman's hawk like this?

I hate the hammer poll on the rifleman's hawk.

I was thinking it might be cool to cut it off at the "waist" and grind the remainder down to a pyramidal spike of sorts.

Anyone ever done this, and do you have pics?

I am thinking of doing it to mine, actually.
I know I have seen it before, did you look through the modding sticky?

Yes, but that doesn't mean I didn't completely miss it. :eek:

I remember someone saying that they were going to do it, but don't remember if they did or not.

I hate the hammer poll on the rifleman's hawk.

I was thinking it might be cool to cut it off at the "waist" and grind the remainder down to a pyramidal spike of sorts.

Anyone ever done this, and do you have pics?

Bet a trail hawk with that mod would look pretty cool. Might have to try it one of these days when I can afford another one.

If you need any help with a project like this let me know. I think it would be cool.

Heber

I could be wrong but i believe vector001 modded/depolled a Riflemans hawk in that fashion.
And if i remember correctly raved about how it was a major improvement.
vector001 feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

And i'm sure i've seen pics of a like modded Riflemans hawk here somewhere....

I could be wrong but i believe vector001 modded/depolled a Riflemans hawk in that fashion.
And if i remember correctly raved about how it was a major improvement.
vector001 feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

And i'm sure i've seen pics of a like modded Riflemans hawk here somewhere....

i just did two more saturday.

they are better that famous maker Forest Axes if you ask me, because of the new poll and some other nice physical characteristics. - i got rid of my GBs after i started making these - though i loved my GBs, don't get me wrong - the price they went for got me ten Rifleman's hawks... so do the math.... when i get my axe-centric handles out, the GBs will come back to center stage for me i think....

these are some of the first ones from a few years ago. last time i saw this one it was in Iraq.
axes1%20005.JPG

this one was having all sorts of fun in the desert somewheres else....
infidels%20024.JPG

they are outstanding as a Battle Axe - nothing stands against that giant Penetrator Poll. - i think it'd be interesting to see what it does on a fresh cow skull or elk thigh bone.

i'm going to try some little one this time on the new Mk V handle, or maybe some leftover Mk 4's.

'should be outstanding.

vec

Hows the Rifleman's hawk for throwing?
(with and without the poll)
I just recently modded my Riflemans hawk but it has not been "bobbed", lol.

Hows the Rifleman's hawk for throwing?
(with and without the poll)
I just recently modded my Riflemans hawk but it has not been "bobbed", lol.

i am not really hip on throwing my hawks and hatchets because it requires toughening by adding material that doesn't really do anything for other hawk performance. - still lightweight, but you know me.... that might be an offbase comment in regards to the new Mk Vs - they are pretty dang tough as is. - we are still in the development phase of production with them. - i'd still harden them though if an Investor told me that they were going to be throwing them primarily.

that said, i think a 16 inch Rifleman's hawk with the mod shown might be pretty outstanding, especially if you weighted the butt like we do sometimes on the Mk V's.

i have found that they really stick more often when ya weight the opposing ends - just more control somehow at different ranges.

the biggest thing about throwing the heavier heads is trying to get them out of the target - i think that destroys wood handles more than the actual throwing.

dunno.

vec

Last edited:
i throw mine and it works wonderful but like vec mentioned its a pain to get them out of the tree as mine almost always sinks within an inch or less of the haft

i throw mine and it works wonderful but like vec mentioned its a pain to get them out of the tree as mine almost always sinks within an inch or less of the haft

the penetration is one of the things i like so much about their use as a small hatchet. - kind of the opposite of a proper hawk - they are specialty choppers insteaad of good generalist tools like a hawk should be IMHO.

the lopped Rifleman's are definitely a good choice for an anti-personnel hawk.

dang, now i gotta keep these two - LOL.

one for each hand, ba-BEEE,

:D:thumbup:

vec

I lopped the hammer poll off mine, still havn't finished grounding it down to where i want it. I'm not going for the trianlged poll, but rather a smooth even eye. I tend to favor my TH more than the rifleman, so i just use the rifleman as a yard tool.

I also trimmed the top down and sharpened the upper side of the bit for about 1.5 inches of cutting surface on top.

I lopped the hammer poll off mine, still havn't finished grounding it down to where i want it. I'm not going for the trianlged poll, but rather a smooth even eye. I tend to favor my TH more than the rifleman, so i just use the rifleman as a yard tool.

I also trimmed the top down and sharpened the upper side of the bit for about 1.5 inches of cutting surface on top.

i like putting a little fang on the bottom too sometiimes, brother.

vec

i wonder if i can find someone would be willing too hammer the poll into a nice sturdy spike? that might be a fun idea too!

I've been thinking of doing mine.
Just can't decide if I want to cut/grind it off completely or not

a metal cutoff wheel for a die grinder or angle grinder would work. neither are more than a few dollars apiece.

Back