Arc-Lock

The arc-lock was quite simply the quintessential SOG innovation. It was the device that won me over. Next to the Sebenza that I was lucky enough to recieve as a gift, SOG has ever been my favorite brand for some time. The Pentagon Elite was my EDC when I was a teenager, and now there's all sorts of new and enticing arc-lock models about to hit the market. (The Vulcan and the Visionary come to mind)
Using the PEII as an EDC for so long has left no doubt in my mind as to the arc-lock's superior ergonomics; in my opinion it very easily beats out Benchmade's Axis-lock and Cold Steel's Ultralock. The thing is, the knife I use as a workhorse has always been my Sebenza, so I have little realworld experience as to the lock's *tenacity.*
I was wondering; does anyone have any experience (field-stories, torture tests, etc.) to contribute as to how much stress and strain this lock can actually withstand? I ask because that new SOG Visionary looks particularly stylish, and I'm wondering if another arc-lock model wouldn't be worth my while.
Thanks.

I like the Arc-Lock. It has a very smooth action.

I don't think it's as time-tested and proven as the Axis Lock though.

Also, I'd like to see SOG using better steel than the AUS8 which they use on most of their folders.

I like my X Ray Vision in ATS-34 a lot.
Would love to see SOG do another BG42 or ATS-34 release.

Finally, their new knife in VG-10 looks interesting, but overpriced IMO.
It's a start, though.

Full disclosure- I'm a Marketing Assistant for SOG Knives, so I leave real world experience and testimonials to other members.

Before the Arc-Lock's introduction, an outside laboratory conducted testing of lock strength. The lock was tested with pressure applied 1/2” back from the tip on the spine of the knife, and failed only after 338 pounds of pressure was applied. (That equals 1,183 pounds of pressure directly to the lock before it failed)

Hope that helps!

I agree. Wonderful review, Alberto. You've got a knack for putting practical information together, and it's clear you've got a good deal of insight into the knife world.
Well done, man!

Yeah, Alberto, that was an excellent review.
You should win an award or something.
Like really, it was that good. Definitely one of the best, if not the best review I've ever read.
You should do more!

Regards,
Eric

I think an award would be in order.
Presently I'm looking for another workorse knife to augment my Sebenza. I'm thinking the new SOG Visionary I would do well, when it hits the market. But at the same time, the Kershaw Spec-Bump has held my attention as well, mostly on terms of sheer aesthetic appeal.
Any thoughts or contributions?

I think an award would be in order.
Presently I'm looking for another workorse knife to augment my Sebenza. I'm thinking the new SOG Visionary I would do well, when it hits the market. But at the same time, the Kershaw Spec-Bump has held my attention as well, mostly on terms of sheer aesthetic appeal.
Any thoughts or contributions?

I've always had my eye on the Spec-Bump, but I have just never made the dive into actually getting one. I think in the back of my mind I can't see the real practical use of having such an extreme recurve.
Recurves have always been my favorite blade shape, but in the case of the Spec-Bump, is it too extreme? This is one of the reasons why I love my Tomcat 3 so much, the recurve is there, it's practical, and at the same time it's so subtle.
I think in this case I personally would go with the Visionary, just because it makes more sense to me.
But in the end, you should really just get what appeals to you most.
Anyways, good luck!

Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
You're making me blush :eek:

Back in track, I was looking forward the Spec-Bump too, mostly for the "stud-lock". But for me (like mrskillz) that violent recurve is simply too much :)

My vote is for the Visionary, I'll wait for another stud-lock design ;)

BETO
====================
Sorry for my english :eek:

The new Visionary really looks nice.I just hope it will be available without the black blade.

As of right now there are no plans to have a plain uncoated version of the Visionary. We may end up doing something in the future but I can not say for sure.

I for one am happy to see an arc-lock knife with a black blade. A welcome addition to the SOG familly, I think.

Wow, the Visionary I looks great! This looks like the perfect SOG folder for my use. I really like the Mini X-ray handle, clip, and lock but don't really care for the tanto blade so I am pleased to see the Spec Elite-style blade on the Visionary. VG-10 has worked great for me on Spydercos so that is another plus. The only complaint I have is the black blade - I prefer non-coated, but no big deal really. It may be possible for us who prefer non-coated to remove the black ourselves?

Looking forward to picking one of these up...

Removing the coating yourself can be a treacherous trail. It depends on the finish, and the tools at your disposal, and your experience. Some coatings come off easier than others. Some (like certain TiNi coatings) can be buffed off, while others (like Teflon) are deeply ingrained in the pores of the metal and would have to be ground off. (Don't reccommend it if you're inexperienced like me.)
In any case, the finish on a knife's edge can certainly be renewed when it fades or scratches, but it wasn't really designed to be changed outright.

I personally only own one SOG knife: the Spec-Elite I. The Arc-Lock is awesome... LOTS of fun to play with too. :D It is definately the smoothest opening (and closing) knife I own. I can't say much as to their strength, though, because my knives don't see any extreme daily use. (and I'm not one to beat the crap out of a perfectly fine piece just to see if the lock will fail) :thumbdn: I can't wait until the Visionary I & II come out... the perfect marriage between the X-Ray Vision & the Spec Elite. I handled both the X-Ray and the Pentagon Elite at a local cutlery store. I really liked the handle on the X-Ray, but didn't care for the blade so much. On the other hand, I wasn't sure what to think of the "shark's tooth" on the Pentagon, so I left empty handed. :( Anyways, the next day I purchased a Spec Elite online, and have been more than satisfied with it. I actually thought about how nice it would be if it had the X-Ray style handle, and I think my prayers have been answered! :) VG-10 steel too? Count me in! The Visionary II will definately be my first purchase of 2008! :thumbup:

I love my sog Vulcan. The blade is awsome and really thick, which makes the blade feel like it will last forever. Once tightened, the knife has *Zero* blade play and is still able to be opened as smooth as ever. The knife has put up with about a months worth of abuse and is doing great. With just a 1:1 stroke with a diamond rod the blade is even better than new. The pocket clip allows the knife to be completely unseen besides the clip. Hope this helps, J.

I just received my Spec Elite II SE18. I am using it for EDC and I will let you know how well it holds up over time. This is my first SOG and my first impression is pleasing. I like the way it carries in my pocket, for such a large knife it has a very nice profile. The action is nice and smooth as well.

I always wanted a folder with at least a 5.0 in. blade. I am happy SOG elected to make one that was reasonably priced with decent quality.

PanMan

Just a follow up on the Spec EliteII SE18. I have been carrying this knife every day and have had no problems. I now have the draw and opening down to a reflex. This knife opens with very little effort, I have the blade extended and locked before my hand gets to the ready position. I will continue to use this as my EDC unit until I have a reason not to carry it.

Back