Are DLC coatings food safe?

I seriously doubt it. The chance of any of the coating coming off and getting into food is pretty much zero. I've used both DLC and Cerakote blades for food prep for years and I haven't had a problem

I would say no, I don't use coated blades for food. Some people don't care, so I guess it's up to you.

Absolutely there is no danger with a DLC coated blade used for food prep. Its also used in medical applications as a coating on prosthetic joints due to its wear properties and high bio-compatibility since its basically just carbon with some hydrogen and occasionally inert metals used as filler in some versions.

The same does not necessarily apply to teflon, epoxy, or powder coated blades. Though it should be mentioned that all three of those coatings come in varieties that are food safe.

I would have to say yes, it's fine.
I've used my black dlc Microtech DOC to cut lots of spam and no problems yet.
I've used my Benchmade dlc HK Tumult to sever in twain many a sandwich :D

I was told that there is a company that makes medical equipment with DLC coatings. It would be food safe. I called the mfg.

TDLC (Tungsten Diamond like Carbon) is actually Tungsten Carbide. TiN (Titanium Nitride) is a dark gold coat used for drill bits and knife blades. ZrN (Zirconium Nitride) is a light gold coat used for the same applications as TiN. TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) is a charcoal colored coat that is used for the same apps as TiN and ZrN.
I have used knives with all of these coatings for food preparation with no problems. I think CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) would also make a coating suitable for food prep.

I guess the body cannot absorb pure carbon in amorphous or crystalline.
It will just be excreted eventually.

If it gets into your body, however, it will stay for a very long time.
I was stabbed with a pencil when I was 10 or so, by a stupid kid.
The graphite carbon is still in the skin after more than 30 years.

IMG_1360.JPG

I guess the body cannot absorb pure carbon in amorphous or crystalline.
It will just be excreted eventually.

If it gets into your body, however, it will stay for a very long time.
I was stabbed with a pencil when I was 10 or so, by a stupid kid.
The graphite carbon is still in the skin after more than 30 years.

View attachment 1049843
Lol, I have one of those too...about the same age as well;)
1546853675127~2.png

Back