Are DLC coatings food safe?

I guess the body cannot absorb pure carbon in amorphous or crystalline.
It will just be excreted eventually.

If it gets into your body, however, it will stay for a very long time.
I was stabbed with a pencil when I was 10 or so, by a stupid kid.
The graphite carbon is still in the skin after more than 30 years.

View attachment 1049843

Hope that kid isn’t a knife nut today.

Just found this interesting article

View attachment 1049840

Zombie thread but, it says it may not stand repeated cleaning in industrial food processing. That implies it is likely being cleaned using methods common in the food industry like repeated dishwasher cycles.

Most people wipe their “good knives” clean. I doubt dlc is going to have an issue with that.

The first non-stick fry pans had chipping issues galore. It swore me away from them for years. Anodized pots, like Calphalon, wear off with successive uses and washings.

The first non-stick fry pans had chipping issues galore. It swore me away from them for years. Anodized pots, like Calphalon, wear off with successive uses and washings.
I still see that on modern non-stick pans. No matter the brand, they all eventually go bad and chip.

Is it best to avoid ESEE powder coated blades for food prep?

I guess the question is what compels you to want to use a coated blade in the kitchen? Is it just because you own it? Then use it any way you see fit.

In a commercial environment I would not use a coated blade. I doubt that in a home environment one would be as constantly aggressive and hard on their tools. I see tons of coated blades in people's home kitchens everywhere I go. Some with the coating worn away, some chipped to expose metal. Almost all are serrated.

I saw one the other day in someone's home that had a pattern identical to the Canadian Belt Knife, but with serrated edge, coated white, and had a translucent yellow plastic handle. It was very useful for schmearing cream cheese on our bagels.

DLC is used on medical implants like artificial joints for its lubricity, being non toxic and it’s exceptional durability.

So I think it’s fair to say it’s not harmful to use a coated blade on food.

Back