Are expensive knives worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the the majority of experienced knife users on this forum recognize that there is a diminishing return of qualty for the money paid as knife prices increase. However, what is important is ones perception of his knife. Sometimes that is increased by a higher price.
I think so too. I haven't read every post, so this has probably already been covered. The point of diminishing returns is different for each user. My 50 year old Buck 110 & Uncle Henry stockman still put a smile on my face, and I could probably get along quite nicely if they were all I had, so all the knives I've bought since then would fall into the diminishing returns category. It's nice to have choices though.

I'm not upset in the least. Quite the contrary. I'm rather amused. There are objective truths in this world -- even when it comes to knives. Sadly that's something which is lost on many... 😉

There are no objective truths for knives (or any other products), only preferences and opinions; and, that is how we like it, else we would have 3 makers making the same standard things for everyone.

n2s

What is expensive for some is not so for others. Some knives have attributes that some can appreciate that others may not. On a knife forum I wouldlike expect most participants to understand the value of knives priced higher vs lower. I can't (won't) afford the most expensive knives out there, but I generally agree with the idea that more money buys more knife.

So you can get 5 Bokers for 1 Viper, so is it worth it???

If you own more than a handful of knives, they are not tools but luxury goods. I.e., price, cost of manufacturing and value to you personally are mostly uncorrelated. Therefore, everybody has their own threshold for "worthiness", and this thread shows this very well.

It's like comparing a Hilfiger to a Vuitton designer handbag. Is the Vuitton's higher price worth it ?

For me personally, the threshold is around 500 bucks, or so. Then again, I have accessorized some knives with scales, etc., increasing their costs above that threshold.

A picture speaks more than thousand words ... consider this for example:

i-VNmDpPM-X2.jpg

The Busse (2nd from left) is around $300-400, give or take. The 3V Buck (rightmost) was $120, I think.

Their value for me is basically the same.

Last edited:
To me it boils down to pocket jewelry. It people want to spend their money on that, good for them. I just take issue with those who try to defend defend the purchase of XYZ knife based on its "quality."

75 years ago, spending more on a Rolex because they were rugged, water resistant (if not waterproof), highly accurate timekeepers was very defendable. There really wasn't much around that would do the same job for the same length of time for significantly less $$$. The greater expense was justified by the watch's performance.

One would be a fool to attempt that "argument" today as there are cheap watches which are bulletproof and keep excellent time. People buy Rolex watches (and Pateks, Piagets, Vacherons, etc.) because they're status symbols, because of how they look, and in some cases because they're shrewd investments. Same with knives.
This is always the argument of the broke or miserly person, and frankly we’ve seen it all before.

If you say it is "expensive" you have already defined a uniquely subjective term...and it would be nearly impossible for someone else to define the equally uniquely subjective term "worth" for you.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? Well, its up to the person seeking it. If you need someone else to answer it for you, then more often than not, the answer will be, "no, you won't agree that it is worth it"

A picture speaks more than thousand words ... consider this for example:

i-VNmDpPM-X2.jpg

The Busse (2nd from left) is around $300-400, give or take. The 3V Buck (rightmost) was $120, I think.

Their value for me is basically the same.
For me the Busse is a better knife. The handle shape is much more ergonomic than the straight flat slab, I can appreciate the lanyard options, the point is better aligned with the center line, the pommel is more practical as an impact tool and the blade itself is more robust. But, it costs more and it does not come with a sheath.

n2s

For me the Busse is a better knife. The handle shape is much more ergonomic than the straight flat slab, I can appreciate the lanyard options, the point is better aligned with the center line, the pommel is more practical as an impact tool and the blade itself is more robust. But, it costs more and it does not come with a sheath.

n2s

But the Buck is much lighter and cuts better :) Half kidding, as I said it's personal, and I do appreciate what you wrote. And there is a reason I own both .... BTW, the Buck sheath is not great, I got a 3rd party Kydex immediately.

It would be interesting to hear from some owners of actual expensive knives, as $1,000 is a fart in the wind relative to the cost of really high end pieces. I'd love to hear an account of someone out there casually using their Rexford to score sheetrock or their Lerman to clean out a drain pipe.

This topic always teases out an odd discomfort for some folks. We're all here to enjoy knives and we should all be humble enough to do so. No petulant jealousy necessary. Remember, someone always has a better toy.

A tangent to this, is higher end hunting rifles. I've thought about buying one, just to have one in my life. As with knives money is relevant. To some high end is in the thousands.

I suspect for my hunting, in heavy woods, at 40 yards, I wouldn't notice. Maybe in weight and smoothness. I'd like to try higher end optics to extend the DNRs suggested hunting hours.

I think there is a huge dimminishing return though. I am not poor. But a gun and optics have technology and engineering, where I just can't see the value in higher end knives, other than snob appeal. or to feel like you achieved the ability to buy one.

I may buy more UP knives, just out a sense of nationalism.

A tangent to this, is higher end hunting rifles. I've thought about buying one, just to have one in my life. As with knives money is relevant. To some high end is in the thousands.

I suspect for my hunting, in heavy woods, at 40 yards, I wouldn't notice. Maybe in weight and smoothness. I'd like to try higher end optics to extend the DNRs suggested hunting hours.

I think there is a huge dimminishing return though. I am not poor. But a gun and optics have technology and engineering, where I just can't see the value in higher end knives, other than snob appeal. or to feel like you achieved the ability to buy one.

I may buy more UP knives, just out a sense of nationalism.
I would argue that the technology and engineering involved is precisely why expensive knives are worth it. There is a ton of engineering and tech that goes into stuff like Busse and CPK for example.

But the Buck is much lighter and cuts better :) Half kidding, as I said it's personal, and I do appreciate what you wrote. And there is a reason I own both .... BTW, the Buck sheath is not great, I got a 3rd party Kydex immediately.
What true north wrote is the other part of the value equation. There is no question that the Busse in your example, has the better Heat Treat and can safely be called a lifetime knife. The question is whether that extra performance/value is necessary for what you do. Does a small knife need to be as tough as a Busse or CPK. In many cases that extra cost is not necessary. Up to you.

There really is no wrong answer here. It's just what level result you expect. You could argue that the $120 buck does not give me any advantage over a 20 dollar Mora.

I would argue that the technology and engineering involved is precisely why expensive knives are worth it. There is a ton of engineering and tech that goes into stuff like Busse and CPK for example.

What’s your problem, guy? What’s with all the personal insults?
Please stop crying. This comment is in response to Stahlmann's incredibly poor logic, wherein he attempts to speak for others, as he usually does. Also, why are you addressing me, I thought I was on your ignore list?

In any case, please let me know if there's anything else I can clear up for you.

:)

Please stop crying. This comment is in response to Stahlmann's incredibly poor logic, wherein he attempts to speak for others, as he usually does. Also, why are you addressing me, I thought I was on your ignore list?

In any case, please let me know if there's anything else I can clear up for you.

:)
Classy, as always.

Have a good one bud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back