Off Topic Are TG, BGAD and SOB California legal?

Hi everyone sorry to bother you I just wondered if I could ask a quick question, are any of the following illegal in California?

TG 2014
BGAD
SOB

It's not quite set in stone but there is a chance that I may be moving over there and I just wanted to check. My main use will not be EDC but for camping etc...

Also sorry for going off topic but I am thinking of getting a Kimber K6S to take down the range but is that legal?

Thank you all for your help :)

The 3 knives mentioned are completely legal in California as long as they are not concealed . Knives must be visible , no surprises for the police . I've been stopped once or twice and was literally told by the officers " you can carry a machete if you want ... as long as we can see it " . You do run the risk of donating your knife though , Depending on where you are in California ( I'm speaking in regard to Los Angeles and Oakland .. the only places I've carried a fixed blade in California besides camping ) . You might have a difficult time explaining why you belt carry a 13 inch tg ( though you shouldn't have too ) over a more reasonable bgad . Most officers realize that not everyone carrying a knife is using with ill intentions or causing harm . Carry at your own discretion though. Double edged , knuckled , autos over 1.5 ( or 1.25? ) and " butterfly's "are not legal to carry here .

Last edited:
One thing to think about too is that there are a lot of handguns that aren't illegal here but you can not buy here because the manufacturers haven't put them up for Cali's own safety tests. Check Cali's approved handgun roster and if something you want isn't on it, buy it before you come here.

You can carry a blade of any length as long as it is worn openly on your belt. I carry a tglb here in cali all the time. Just no knuckle guards are allowed

Some Quick Points:

1. Those knives are not illegal to own
2. Those knives must be open carried with a sheath suspended from the waist (CA Penal Code)
3. Those knives may not be open carried in certain places, such as schools, city council meets, etc. --- you have to check that out for full details
4. City municipal code often trumps CA Penal code --- which means that in Los Angeles (for example) anything over 2.99 inches MAY NOT be open carried/concealed
A) exceptions to this law include religious practices that allow for it
B) Employment purposes
C) "Lawful Recreational Purposes" and travel to and from locations where it's utilized for "Lawful Recreational Purposes"

Examples of lawful recreational purposes would include a BBQ, bonfire, hike, camping, training, etc. ----- however, it is up to the officer detaining you to make this determination and then up to the City Attorney/DA's office to prosecute. I highly recommend carry the exact Penal Code and City Municipal Code # with you to provide to any detaining officer. It would also help to contact the police station nearby and ask to speak to a supervisor. That way if you're detained, you can reference the individual you spoke to and the Penal Code/Municipal Code. Speak courteously, respectfully, and confidently. You should be fine.

Also I've found that when walking in the city, make an effort to smile and be pleasant as people pass by and give you funny looks for what you're wearing. Each of us are ambassadors for the Knife Community and each of us have the power to undue the fear conditioning and the indoctrination of the city population. I've changed the mindset of at least a couple hundred people -- you can too. Welcome to the Sunny Side of the World :)

All good advice Rob and you are definitely right about putting out a positive example for the general public.

Thank you all very much for your help! It's very kind of you. Absolutely, manners don't cost anything and I have absolutely no plans of using it other than camping. I've heard plenty of good things about California and I am keeping my fingers crossed I can go over there! Thank you all very much again! :)

Thank you all very much for your help! It's very kind of you. Absolutely, manners don't cost anything and I have absolutely no plans of using it other than camping. I've heard plenty of good things about California and I am keeping my fingers crossed I can go over there! Thank you all very much again! :)
If it all works out, what part of the state would you be settling at?

If it all works out, what part of the state would you be settling at?

I'm not sure yet since we are in the middle of finalising the research fund negotiations but most likely LA (some of the people in our team has small children so it's easier for them to do school runs etc...). Hopefully, I will get to enjoy the full glory of the golden state ;)

I'm not sure yet since we are in the middle of finalising the research fund negotiations but most likely LA (some of the people in our team has small children so it's easier for them to do school runs etc...). Hopefully, I will get to enjoy the full glory of the golden state ;)
There's definitely a lot to see here. I'm a country mouse so I avoid going to LA at all cost. Lol! To big, to many people for me. I live almost exactly in the middle of the state which is nice but I never really got a feeling of how big the state was until I drove to see friends that are over five hours drive south of me and other friends that are over five hours to the north of me. Lol!

There's definitely a lot to see here. I live almost exactly in the middle of the state which is nice but I never really got a feeling of how big the state was until I drove to see friends that are over five hours drive south of me and other friends that are over five hours to the north of me. Lol!

Goodness me!

I'd better start looking for a decent car to handle that much tarmac! :p

I'm really hoping everything works out now :D

Thank you for all your help again!

Last edited:
There's definitely a lot to see here. I'm a country mouse so I avoid going to LA at all cost. Lol! To big, to many people for me. l!

After about twenty years LA become too crazy for me...so I moved to NorCal...about 40 minutes away from Berkeley...

Don't EDC those blades in LA, you can camp though. I plan on EDCing my Mini Mean Street, but not when I'm in the city. I'll keep it in the truck. When I'm home in the suburbs, no problem...

After about twenty years LA become too crazy for me...so I moved to NorCal...about 40 minutes away from Berkeley...

Don't EDC those blades in LA, you can camp though. I plan on EDCing my Mini Mean Street, but not when I'm in the city. I'll keep it in the truck. When I'm home in the suburbs, no problem...
The Bay area is a bit much for me too. One or two trips over the Altamont a year to watch the Raiders play is enough for me. Lol!

Back