are tomahawks/hatchets legal to carry?

sorry guys if this is kind of an odd or un nessary question, but can you carry one? would they just measure the blade length or what i am assumeing is that it is illegal (U.S.A.) to carry. Thanks.
JBK,

Most of the time around here it depends on where you are and what you may be doing with it. If you are misbehaving the cops can charge you if you are waving a stick around in a threatining manor, if you are using it like a cane to walk down the side walk no one would even look your way.

The law near me doesn't address carrying a hatchet or hawk down the sidewalk.

It would be up to the discretion of the officer.

If you had it in hand, most likely they'd at least threaten you with arrest for brandishing a deadly weapon. If it was hanging out of a backpack, they'd most likely ask what you are doing with it, and tell you to put it in your car, or if on foot, to go home and leave it there.

I wouldn't advise it.

sorry guys if this is kind of an odd or un nessary question, but can you carry one? would they just measure the blade length or what i am assumeing is that it is illegal (U.S.A.) to carry. Thanks.
JBK,

Carry? In an urban area, pack serious bail money and plan to face a felony. Elsewhere, it depends on where you are.

Really? I'm not doubting, I'm just confused, because apparently in Seattle you can walk around with a firearm like this:

Utilikilt03a

The laws would vary state by state.

Edged weapons and firearms usually have seperate laws saying what you can and cannot do with them and where.

The laws would vary state by state.

I think hereabouts you can carry any edged blade on your person as long as it is not concealed. Once in a while a guy walks around downtown with a sword strapped on his belt. (Not me).

pete

Last edited:
yeah, not that i would need to carry a tomahawk around but they dont have a law on it(that i know of) as Clp Punishment said it would probaly be up to the officer and the senerio.
Thanks guys for awnsering my random questions,
JBK

Really? I'm not doubting, I'm just confused, because apparently in Seattle you can walk around with a firearm like this:

Utilikilt03a

Dang, Im going to Seattle so I can wear my kilt and gun in peace.LOL, Hell I may even go commando wih my gun.

Utilikilt03a

Gun laws and knife/blade/axe laws don't always coincide.

Some places you can open carry a gun but not a sheath knife.

Here, I can open carry a sheath knife, but not a gun.

If you call your local police station, usually they can help. They often have a library of books pertaining to local laws and ordinances. I've done this before with my local PD. They are actually quite helpful. They don't often get people that are curious about such things, they usually deal with people who are pissed off about recent tickets or charges, so a curious, law abiding citizen with some curious questions is usually a welcome change...

Every PD is different though!

JGON

I'd love to see both sides of that call.

"Hello. Podunk PD."

"Heya. Ummm, can I legally open carry an axe in town?"

:D

If your name starts with Daniel or Davey and ends with Boone or Crockett you should be ok.

Gun laws and knife/blade/axe laws don't always coincide.

Some places you can open carry a gun but not a sheath knife.

Here, I can open carry a sheath knife, but not a gun.

Here with a CCW, you can carry a gun concealed but not a knife. I guess knives are just TOO dangerous.:D

this is the new USA.

you are a felon until proven innocent.

and then they sue you.

vec

+1 on checking into your local laws and being aware of location. Speaking of where you can or cannot carry what... I was amused (in a sad way) recently. I went to Valley Forge to check out the winter encampment of the Continental Army under Gen. Washington. The visitor center has a posted NO GUNS sign on the front door. To think we remember the men who fought for our freedom and at the same place violate the freedoms and principles they fought and died for.

God bless,
Adam

If you call your local police station, usually they can help. They often have a library of books pertaining to local laws and ordinances. I've done this before with my local PD. They are actually quite helpful. They don't often get people that are curious about such things, they usually deal with people who are pissed off about recent tickets or charges, so a curious, law abiding citizen with some curious questions is usually a welcome change...

Every PD is different though!

JGON

I think if I called the local PD and asked if I could carry one of my hawks in public, at the very least I would find that my name has been placed on some kind of list.

Back