Aromatic woods

JTB_5

Gold Member
I know that Juniper wood has a lovely peppery smell, but often varies between really intricate grain, even some excellent burl, and rather plain "boxwood" color without much going on.

What other aromatic woods are used on pocket knives, and what kind of smell do they exhibit?

Prester John Prester John
I'm not sure, but I think I've seen it on old 1700's/1800's fixed blades.
No reason you couldn't put it on a pocket knife.
It might keep the moths and other hungry bugs out of your wool britches and/or union suit?
(and stink prettier than moth balls?)

Last edited:
According to the Wood Database, Aromatic Red Cedar has a Janka hardness rating of 900, which is pretty soft, but harder than most cedars. Camphor is also aromatic, coming in a 960 on the Janka scale. Brazilian Rosewood has a rose smell when working, but is supposed to fade over time; it's hardness is 2790 by comparison.

According to the Wood Database, Aromatic Red Cedar has a Janka hardness rating of 900, which is pretty soft, but harder than most cedars. Camphor is also aromatic, coming in a 960 on the Janka scale. Brazilian Rosewood has a rose smell when working, but is supposed to fade over time; it's hardness is 2790 by comparison.
I don’t know much about woodwork but when I’m looking at wood for knife handles I look first at the density before looking at the hardness. The numbers for hardness don’t mean much too me but 1 for density I’d the same as water so closer to or above 1 is pretty dense that to me equals a tough wood seems like you could have wood that is very hard but maybe less dense and it would be brittle and break or splinter easily when peening pins. I don’t have anything to back that up though.

I don’t know much about woodwork but when I’m looking at wood for knife handles I look first at the density before looking at the hardness. The numbers for hardness don’t mean much too me but 1 for density I’d the same as water so closer to or above 1 is pretty dense that to me equals a tough wood seems like you could have wood that is very hard but maybe less dense and it would be brittle and break or splinter easily when peening pins. I don’t have anything to back that up though.
You may be right, I really have no experience there. I would imagine that density may also help reduce how much the wood shrinks, but that's a shot in the dark.

I've had some lovely Brazilian Rosewood! Actually does smell like Roses!!:)
They came with this label, in 2014!!:cool:View attachment 1366681

Beautiful stuff!

rosewoodTC1.jpg

rosewoodTC2.jpg

the recent 86 seersucker wood smells interesting, however i dont think that is natural. i am curious about how use/wear & tear would change that smell

Back