Aromatic woods

Olive smells fantastic when you are working it, but I just sniffed this one and can’t detect any odor just 2 years later:
5r4rXX4.jpg

the recent 86 seersucker wood smells interesting, however i dont think that is natural. i am curious about how use/wear & tear would change that smell
That’s a smell from how the wood was used, not from the wood itself, but it is still cool for that. I suppose you could infuse a hard wood and then use it. Not sure how long the scent would remain.

That’s a smell from how the wood was used, not from the wood itself, but it is still cool for that. I suppose you could infuse a hard wood and then use it. Not sure how long the scent would remain.

i did say it was not natural to the wood

i did say it was not natural to the wood
Right, me too. But thinking of the sucker rod, which took up the smell of the oil it was used to extract, I suppose you could accomplish the same thing with an intention to use the wood as a carrier of aromatic scents.

Back to Juniper. I don't know which variety is used for making knife-handles, but the Junipers that grow here grow slowly and can survive in bleak dry and cold:eek: habitats. I suspect the Juniper the French use is similar as it's fairly arid, windy and bleak in the Midi in winter. The wood is very rot resistant, is more or less insect proof and is extremely durable and it retains a great fragrance. I knew somebody who imported and used Juniper for lining his sauna, we usually use birch or some pines. The smell was astounding and it resists damp very well, cost a fortune though :eek::D

Can't think of other woods that could be used as a durable fragrant handle, the resinous pines/cedars etc are all soft unlike Juniper. Where would Gin be without the Juniper's berries?;) They're also used in sauces for game meats .

Back to Juniper. I don't know which variety is used for making knife-handles, but the Junipers that grow here grow slowly and can survive in bleak dry and cold:eek: habitats. I suspect the Juniper the French use is similar as it's fairly arid, windy and bleak in the Midi in winter. The wood is very rot resistant, is more or less insect proof and is extremely durable and it retains a great fragrance. I knew somebody who imported and used Juniper for lining his sauna, we usually use birch or some pines. The smell was astounding and it resists damp very well, cost a fortune though :eek::D

Can't think of other woods that could be used as a durable fragrant handle, the resinous pines/cedars etc are all soft unlike Juniper. Where would Gin be without the Juniper's berries?;) They're also used in sauces for game meats .
I love juniper, but it has gone up in price over the last few years. I hope it isn't becoming scarce.

Back