Attention Ask Ontario

Mr. DavidZ- I heard back from Ontario today, the person I contacted was out for vacation, hence the delay in my response.

Lisa says- "Yes, this has become the new normal. One side has a thicker than usual Teflon washer and no brass washer and the other side has a thin Teflon washer along with the brass. We've had several questions on this. The thick Teflon washer is the same thickness as the brass and thin Teflon washer together."

So the washers on your knife are correct but, like you, I am still curious about why the manufacturers used two different washers and will contact them as soon as I get their contact information.
Thank you for the reply. I too am curious as you are.
Dave

If anyone has questions regarding Ontario Knife Company they are welcome to ask them on this thread. My own specialty is the technical aspects of knife production. I would be happy to answer questions about steels, heat treatment, blade grinding, handle materials, etc. but if you have any other questions outside of my specialty I can contact the pertinent people at Ontario for more information. I will certainly do my best to provide timely and accurate information.

Is it true that the OKC M9 Bayonet is full-tang? It's to my understanding that the M9 uses a threaded two-piece stick tang construction, but all of the listings on Amazon claim that it's full-tang.

I'm 90% sure that this is an error on Amazon's part, but on the off chance that Ontario has improved on the design by making it full-tang, then I would like to know because I would buy one in a heartbeat.

You are correct about the tang on the M-9, it is not what a knowledgeable knife person would call a "full tang". I have noticed that Amazon also states that the SP line of knives also have a full tang. The SPs and the M-9 do have a tang that extends the entire length of the handle and perhaps that is why they think it has a "full tang".

The other factor to consider about any knife Ontario supplies to the military is that the specifications of every aspect of the knife to the smallest detail is determined by the government regardless of how, shall I say "unusual", the specifications may be to a knife expert.

The Last RD6 I got, had a box stating May 31st. I was wondering if the last production RD6s are still 5160 steel or 1075?

I dislike seeing OKC messing with the washers in the Rat. The action on these knives are usually perfect. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If OKC wants to do anything to the Rat, a blade upgrade and scales that are not Vaseline slick would be nice. 👍🍻

We are glad to be back.

I'm afraid I'm unaware of an Ontario knife called the Bush Pilot and so, it appears, is Ontario Knife Company (I contacted them about this the other day). Could you please give me more information on the knife so I can dig deeper into your question.

Mr. DavidZ- Regarding the RAT-1 washers:

According to the manufacturer each RAT-1 folder is assembled individually and a combination of bronze and Teflon pivot pin washers are custom fit to guarantee the best action.

Mr. DavidZ- Regarding the RAT-1 washers:

According to the manufacturer each RAT-1 folder is assembled individually and a combination of bronze and Teflon pivot pin washers are custom fit to guarantee the best action.
Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated.

Good Morning Mr.Maragni,
Just wanted to ask about the Ontario OKC3s USMC Bayonet.
I see plenty of sellers of these stating that bayonets with "white writing on the blade" (laser etch) are commercial bayonets,eg, non military issue.
They also state that those bayonets that have the blade markings stamped into the steel(late 2002-2016?) are Military issue.
(The blade etching started some years ago (2016 I think) and continues today,albeit with some lettering differences.)
Can you please confirm this?

My understanding is that ALL the bayonets (OKC3s,M7,M9) are made to mil specs,regardless of how the blades are marked,as the US Gov requires these to be Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) items.

Further,that the only real difference between the mil contract ones and those sold commercially is the packaging,mil spec in plastic bag,Commercial in boxes,am I right?

Any and all help much appreciated.

We are glad to be back.

I'm afraid I'm unaware of an Ontario knife called the Bush Pilot and so, it appears, is Ontario Knife Company (I contacted them about this the other day). Could you please give me more information on the knife so I can dig deeper into your question.
It was a idea I had back in 2016.
Revamp the USAF survival knife by removing the top guard, give it a flat grind and maybe a better saw for wood.
Call it the bush pilot.
I was Unable to get Ontario to consider it.
Though I would try again.

It was a idea I had back in 2016.
Revamp the USAF survival knife by removing the top guard, give it a flat grind and maybe a better saw for wood.
Call it the bush pilot.
I was Unable to get Ontario to consider it.
Though I would try again.
Sounds like a good idea.

What steel would you like to see used?

Mr zanussi01- Sorry, I didn't see your post until today. I will contact Ontario with your questions about the bayonet and get back to you.
Hey Dan, why doesn't Ontario offer a Rat in G10 without the assisted opening? I finally popped on an assisted opening Rat just so I can get the G10.

Mr. LG&M- The Bush Pilot knife as you described it is a good idea. Removing the top guard, giving the blade a flat grind to improve its cutting ability and having a functioning saw back makes a lot of sense. I have already mentioned the concept to Ontario and thought it could be further developed as a bushcraft/survival/pilots knife. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in with the direction Ontario is moving in at this time but it might be something that might come up again in the future. Thank you for the idea and for your interest in Ontario Knife.

Mr. Billy the Hungry- I will bring up your question to Ontario and let you know.

Mr. LG&M- The Bush Pilot knife as you described it is a good idea. Removing the top guard, giving the blade a flat grind to improve its cutting ability and having a functioning saw back makes a lot of sense. I have already mentioned the concept to Ontario and thought it could be further developed as a bushcraft/survival/pilots knife. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in with the direction Ontario is moving in at this time but it might be something that might come up again in the future. Thank you for the idea and for your interest in Ontario Knife.

Mr. Billy the Hungry- I will bring up your question to Ontario and let you know.
Sincerely, thank you for caring and following through with the people here. I realize mine is less of a question and more of a "what the heck, guys" type of comment. I  would like to know, though.

If you happen to be around Southern Florida, I know a place with amazing 🌮 tacos! Haha

@ Dan Maragni,
Thanks for the feedback, I do not intend to sound snarky but what direction is Ontario going that doesn't include a solid outdoor knife based on the much loved USAF survival knife?

Back