Assisted Openers? Dislike? Why?

I think the Benchmade Nitrous Stryker is the most reliable AO system out there because the spring or what ever you would call it is cut right out of the Titanium Liners and is pretty darn quick.

The state of Michigan has made my decision for me. Rather then carry something illegal, I just carry a non-AO, non-dirk/stiletto, and keep the blade length to 3 inches or less. There is plenty out there to keep me happy.

I would carry an AO on occasion if I could (legally).

the only ao ive had is the leek and i dont really like it. it just doest feel right. i prefer an opening hole like spydercos, or a flipper like whats on my kershaw zing.

Yeah the zing is awesome, it works just like an assisted opener but without the legality problems or complicated AO system.

I have the ZT 0300 as well and I like it of course (it's impossible not to like). I can actually close it with one hand, but I'm not sure if I could do that safely under any circumstances. I have two other AOs, the SOG Topo Meridian and the CRKT Hissatsu folder. The SOG is OK to open, due to a flipper (the thumbstud is much harder to use though) but it's very hard to close one handed, because of the tight spring and the lockback. The Hissatsu AO ("outburst") is a nice simple mechanism with a very sturdy, unbreakable bar spring, which you can also remove without taking the knife apart if you want. It makes the knife downright impossible to open with your left hand though, so I removed the spring.

If there is an AO mechanism that is just as Kalashnikov simple as the one on the CRKT I might actually be interested. Doesn't Benchmade have a similar one?

closing an AO with arthritic hands might be more painful/awkward than whatever benefit the AO provides you...just a thought

You can put the spine of the blade against your pants... many people with non-AO's do that because their fingers are too big/arthritic.

i love my kershaws for the ao...but it scares the heck out of sheeple. you can be a little more discreet with an unassisted one-hander. the tension on the blade can make it more difficult to close one-handed, too, and that has led me to a couple near-drops.

This is true, you open up an A/O in front of most ppl; you might as well
be using an OTF auto. Same thing to them.

I like A/Os but not necessarily better than a manual or auto. Just a
nice change of pace.

Some ppl have had accidental opens from what I read here on the forum
so I could see how that would be a major deterent. I have not had such
experience though.

This is true, you open up an A/O in front of most ppl; you might as well
be using an OTF auto. Same thing to them.

Yep. I have a Kershaw Shallot, and I love the assist and index open, but around anybody who doesn't necessarily know I carry a knife, or understands the reasoning for it, if I do have to use it, I open it like a very large, non-assisted opener. That is to say, both hands, and not letting the A/O kick in. The girlfriend, annoyingly enough, has no such compunction about flicking it open. And I get to answer all the "aren't switchblades illegal" questions. Yes, yes they are. Very much so. That's why I don't carry one...

And I don't know that I'd call an assisted opener overly "complicated". Yes, there are more parts. But I've taken mine apart and put it back together enough to figure it out, and I'm not *that* knife-savvy.

I have a number of AO knives, yet I find that I don't use any of them due to the need for extra care when opening and the difficulty of one hand closing with my increasingly stiff hands. I wouldn't trust myself closing a liner or frame lock, one handed against my leg. I like my thumb too much.

I used to love AO knives, now I tend to shy away from them. Like others have said, more parts that can break and if a torsion bar breaks, the knife has no detent which makes it quite unsafe. My Kershaw shallot's bar recently snapped and I was just closing the knife after opening it (no, not multiple times). I love that knife, but I'd rather use a more reliable knife. I can also open a lot of my non AO knives just as fast, if not faster, than my AO knives.

I like A/O knives alot but too feel that there have been enough improvements in the flipper knives to have it not be a needed addition to a knife. An IKBS flipper folder with a nice detent pretty much eliminates the need for a spring or torsion bar.

I like AOs and flippers. The "fun" aspect of the fast opening and the thwack of a Kershaw Blur helped reignite my interest in pocket knives in general. Plus, its almost like being able to own an Auto, which is illegal in CA.

My current favorite is an AO with a flipper, a Needs Work. It is really convenient when holding the item to be cut in one hand to be able to open my knife with the other. I could always use a knife that can be opened with a wrist flip, too, but I kind of worry about losing my grip and sending it flying.

I'm not too worried about the torsion bar breaking. The frame or liner lock will still work or even the Axis lock on the new Benchmade AO. Most pocket knives use some sort of spring to lock the blade in some fashion, from lock backs to "Axis" locks. Like Phillip Dobson pointed out above, I'd be more worried about one of those springs breaking at an inopportune time. A broken torsion bar is an inconvenience that can be remedied with an e-mail to Kershaw customer service. A new one arrives in the mail in a few days.

I don't limit myself to just pocket knives with AO or flippers. I've got some very nice knives from Spyderco and Benchmade that I like. Gotta try the classics from the best companies making production knives these days. I've got a whole bunch of Kershaws that I love, too.

I've got an old Buck 110 from the 70s and an Alpha for my BOB. Some Gerber fixed blades from the 70s and wish I still had my Gerber and Puma lockbacks from that era.

Being tied to one brand or one style of knife is too limiting if you're going to be a knifenut. I've even got a 2009 Forum Traditional on order. You don't have to like every kind of knife out there, but you shouldn't be afraid to try something new (or traditional) every now and then.

BTW: Almost forgot a Ti/G-10 M4 Millie that's on order. And before that arrives I hope to have a ZT 0300. Titanium frame locks are going to lead me to ruination. Next I'll have to get a Sebenza to compare the others to. :eek:

Last edited:
IMHO, the following sums it up:

One handed opening: Very important feature. You might need your other hand to hold the item you need to cut, and have only your other hand to open the knife.

Left or right hand opening: Very important, and essential in a knife you may have to use in a crisis (example: an outdoor camping or survival knife that you might have to use in spite of your dominant hand being injured).

Assisted opening: Fun and cool, but unnecessary unless the user has a physical impairment that makes other opening mechanisms difficult or painful to use.

IMHO, the following sums it up:

One handed opening: Very important feature. You might need your other hand to hold the item you need to cut, and have only your other hand to open the knife.

Left or right hand opening: Very important, and essential in a knife you may have to use in a crisis (example: an outdoor camping or survival knife that you might have to use in spite of your dominant hand being injured).

Assisted opening: Fun and cool, but unnecessary unless the user has a physical impairment that makes other opening mechanisms difficult or painful to use.

Hmmm...let's see, I wonder what knife fits that criteria? ;)

Hmmm...let's see, I wonder what knife fits that criteria? ;)

Yes, the Ritter Grip. :thumbup:

Love mine. The Axis Lock is brilliant and the Grip with the Ritter S30V blade is one sweet knife.

2579579480_a3c8cc91b5_o.jpg

Just not as much as some of my AOs. :D

Barring the few exceptions mentioned here I would guess most of the spring breakages on AO and autos come from incessant opening and closing.

This is a hard temptation to overcome since pushing a button or flipper to watch your blade spring out of nowhere is easy and so much fun.

Back