AUS 8 Quality??

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dutch_0311, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dutch_0311

dutch_0311

Feb 29, 2008
    My current primary fixed blade is an SOG Seal Pup Elite which is made of AUS 8 steel. I am just starting to learn about the quality of different steels and am aware of the quality of great steels like 154cm and S30V. However, I have never heard anything good about AUS 8. I have concluded that it may not be a very highly recommended steel, but I am not sure. Is AUS 8 the kind of quality I want in my primary fixed blade or should I begin looking at replacing my SP Elite for something with better steel?

2. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    aus 8 it used now in cold steel s formerly carbon v blades
    i dont think its a bad steel, well, not the best, but among the good ones anyway
    (it has vanadium content, from what i remember)
    i say use the knife and see for yourself
    after all, it aint 420 , and its better than aus4 and aus 6

3. Dan Lequin

Dan Lequin Banned BANNED

Feb 28, 2008
    its a good steel! like any steel from any good manufacturers! use it keep it sharp! :)

4. rebeltf

rebeltf

Jan 29, 2005
    There is a search function up top , works like a charm most of the time.

There are a ton of threads on this very tired subject.

Aus 8 takes a wicked edge and holds it comparitivly, combined with ease of sharpening and it's resistance to stains , it is a fantastic steel.

That is my opinion , I'm sure other opinions will follow.

5. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    i have a ti-lite in aus8, scary shaving sharp, right out of the box, and a typhoon bali also in aus 8, which i used it some time, and it holds the edge quite good, (the cuts from flipping stand for proof :D)

6. Silverdagger

Silverdagger

Dec 18, 2006

AUS 8 takes a wicked edge, because of it's smooth texture for a lack of better term. I like it, and a ton of people here do. I think I recall Sal, of the infamous Spyderco, say it is good enough low stuff and if you want better, be ready to pay for it. To me that means it's at the top of the affordable low end steel and good enough for anybody except someone who frequents this site. :D Want to see who uses what and the price difference between average and premium steel, take a look at legendary AG Russell's knives that bear his name. The premium steel knives will run you maybe twice what the AUS 8 knives will. If you keep your knife sharp, you'll never know any difference.

So unless you are cutting for hours and not good or diligent about keeping it sharp, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think I'd want S30V in a fixed blade, personally.

7. wutitiz

wutitiz

Mar 5, 2008
    According to a chart I have AUS -8 has very good toughness, better than VG-10, 440C, ATS-34, and even slightly better than S30V. It also has very good corrosion resistance. The above-mentioned steels all have higher wear resistance, which of course translates to more frequent sharpening required for AUS 8. AUS 8 still is no slouch in edge-holding, in my experience, altho I certainly am no expert.

I think it should be a very good choice for a 'hard use' knife due to its excellent toughness and corrosion resistance.

8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I've done manila rope cutting tests and found that in edge retention it is a goodly step downward from 440C or VG10. I don't test for toughness so I have no comment about that.

AUS8 takes a very fine edge because it has a fine grain structure. I's easy to sharpen as well.

That being said, I have a KaBar Large Dozier in AUS8 and have no problems including it in my EDC rotation. I find that it stays sharp enough long enough to last through my day.

If the SOG Seal-pup does what you want it to do when you use it, then I would not turn up my nose at it because it is made of AUS8. If it gets dull too fast during use, then you might consider another knife with steel that has better edge retention.

9. Smash05

Smash05 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Don't stress on it too much. I tend to think as well that the larger the blade, the advantages of the "high end stainless" blades diminishes. Aus 8 is a great steel for the money and don't let the steel rush push you to thinking you have an inferior knife. If it works, it works. Hell there are people here who swear by 1095 steel, and it is not a super steel.

10. yinyang

yinyang

Jun 16, 2004
    Can't remember who, or when, but I seem to recall a well respected knifemaker claiming Aus 8 to be his favorite steel, all around. I have, or had a couple blades made of Aus 8 steel, and I never had a fault with them.

11. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    I really like it. I actually prefer it over D2, S30V, ect. in some applications. A general use fixed blade being one of them. It is one of my favorite stainless steels, tough stuff that takes and holds a good edge.

12. MB1

MB1

Feb 7, 2006
    WOW! COOL search option is back!

13. cdf

cdf

Nov 12, 2004
    Good stuff , takes an holds a good edge , wouldnt scare me a bit . I would say its comparable to 440C .

Chris

14. he who say

he who say

Dec 11, 2007
    hard to beat for the money

15. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    AUS8 is decent, but no way is it comparable to 440C.

16. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    AUS 8 is a good steel. It holds and edge pretty well. It is a bit better than AUS 6 is, which is what the SEAL knife was made of. The new wonder steels may hold an edge a bit better, but that extra hardness usually means they are harder to sharpen in the field.

17. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003
    I have a KBar Large Dozier in AUS-8 and it is one of the sharpest knives I own, and I have Busse's, Spyderco's and Bark River knives.

RickJ

18. ahgar

ahgar

Jan 4, 2005
    AUS 8 isn't one of the wonder steels but it's one of my favorites, takes an edge and holds it well, excellent for the money.

19. riffraff

riffraff

Apr 13, 2007
    I have an old Outdoor Edge Field-Lite FL-10 in AUS8; seems decent enough.

20. enderwiggin

enderwiggin

Nov 18, 2006
    Thank you, excellent post. For the reasons you stated above, AUS 8 makes excellent kitchen cutlery, or hunting knives that are going to be dirty and beat on, and does it economically.

Steel is all about application. If you're dressing game or doing a lot of work in the kitchen, AUS 8 is a great steel, especially at the price point. I have an A.G. Russell woodswalker in the kitchen that is easily my most used kitchen knife, even though we have a full block set.