Aus-8 rust resistance

I've seen references to CS Aus-8 being prone to rust.I have other brands of knives with aus-8 (one bead blasted)that over the years show no propensity to stain.Why is this mentioned with Cold Steel?Oh about 25 years ago I had a CS Tanto fixed blade that I even kept in the sheath that showed no signs of rust.

I have not read that Cold Steel's AUS-8 is rust prone, though maybe some folks say so. I have never seen a spot of rust on any of my CS knives, and I don't hit them with oil or baby them in any way. From what I've seen with my eyeballs and from what I've read, I'd say that CS AUS-8 is pretty rust resistant.

I can only speak from my personal experience. I carry 8A knives every day (usually the stone washed models).
I live by the sea, with all that salt air and I've even been known to go fishing and Kayaking from time to time. I've only ever seen very minor rust spots on my knives and they were easily removed with a little oil.
I do have a fairly regular knife cleaning and oiling regime and I take good care of my tools, but I've never had a problem

I guess that just to be correct, I should call it AUS-8A, and not AUS-8.

I have taken mine into the Gulf while fishing on many occasions. Usually I just rinse them off and put em up. Never had a problem with rust on any AUS-8A knives including my CS ones.

My Code 4 did develop rust spots after I wiped it down with a damp rag.
Perhaps I didn't dry it good enough but by the next day there were rust spots on both sides of the blade as well as around the pivot.

I took the knife apart and cleaned it all off and just make sure it has a light coat of break free.

My other Aus8 blades have no problems but are all stored with break free as well.

Last edited:
AUS8 blades will absolutely rust on you. I had a bead-blast finished Spartan (that I ended up selling) that was always developing spots on it.

My Code-4 also had some minor sports develop, but I was able to polish them out fairly easily.

Bottom line, if I'm going AUS8... I'm getting a black coated blade.

I had some on my beadblasted Ti-lite. Got it to someone in a drier climate and since then no rust. Otherwise, no rust on my other CS AUS-8A knives. Still, I prefer VG-1.

Last edited:
Bead Blasting causes microscopic "pores" in the steel. This could conceivably trap moisture and cause small rust spots. In my experience, that same bead blast can trap oil too.
We have actually re-released all of our bead blasted folders with a stone wash finish

If you take care of your knives (clean and oil them regularly) I doubt you will have any problems at all. But, as always, if you have any problems, queries or concerns, just give our customer services team a call. They are always happy to help

Never had any issues with my XL Voyager, but I polished it with auto wax just while I'm away from home- cannot keep it on campus so it stays out of my pocket for most of the semester:(

Like it was said above, beadblasting has a lot to do with the previous rust problems that have been reported.

Thankfully, a lot of companies have figured this out and have phased it out for stonewashing or other finishes.

Bead Blasting causes microscopic "pores" in the steel. This could conceivably trap moisture and cause small rust spots. In my experience, that same bead blast can trap oil too.
We have actually re-released all of our bead blasted folders with a stone wash finish

If you take care of your knives (clean and oil them regularly) I doubt you will have any problems at all. But, as always, if you have any problems, queries or concerns, just give our customer services team a call. They are always happy to help

Good info. Thanks.

Yep, The only AUS-8A I've had problems with rust were the bead blasted ones. And they were treated with Eezox. So I'd call the bead blast finish rather rust prone.

Had a Recon 1 with some of the finish removed rust lightly after sitting in my pocket all day. In it's defense, I was wearing my IBA in the blistering heat and all the sweat was sitting right around my belt line where the knife was. Took a real light grit sandpaper to it and it was gone.

Most of my knives are AUS8A. I've never had a rust problem with them, and I don't even keep them oiled like I used to.

Many of my knives are 10XX carbon steel, and I have no issue with rust.....So I cannot see AUS-8A would be an issue for me. Bead blast finish is pretty rust prone....and this is across many manufacturers.

In New Zealand I've not had any problem with rust on my CS folders (although I've not had any problem with my Opinel or Svord carbon folders either) so I guess our atmosphere is pretty good for knives.

Some of my Voyagers have developed "flash rust", no pitting, in the pivot points, due to faulty polish, and the fact that I sweat like the proverbial "Russian Racehorse"--LOL! I just keep 'em clean and use EEZOX.

I had to stop carrying all of my 8cr13MoV folders due to rust issues caused by my sweat. No such issues with AUS8, and I've been carrying the Cold Steels (including an uncoated Voyager XL) longer than the 8cr13MoV knives.

Back