• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Available work..

Hi folks.. It's been awhile since I've posted here but I have three pieces of work to show.... and sell.

The first is the 'Gastropod' with high density 1095 shimstock and 15n20 on the sides (sparsely). The blade was differentially heat treated to display a hamon. The bolster is cast bronze and the grip is stained boxwood. The matching ‘netsuke’ for the sheath is stained walrus ivory and is strung by a silk braid made in Japan for this purpose. It is inspired by an original netsuke. If you are familiar with this concept you will know that what I have here is only inspired by the idea. Classically in Japan these are small ornaments that are placed through the sash of a kimono to hold money pouches or special containers, etc. I’m using the idea for a knife sheath as an alternative to a belt loop. You simply place the ‘netsuke’ through a belt loop, belt or pack strap etc. to firmly keep the sheath. I use a method like this myself and I prefer it because I don’t always wear a belt. And it is simple to remove when I don’t want the knife. I also like the idea of including a special item with the knife. This will be made available very shortly. (the knife is 6″ OAL with 2.5″ blade).

This knife is available for $600. Shipping will be calculated with location.

20170427_110301.jpg

20170403_125323.jpg

20170427_110617.jpg

20170427_110635.jpg

The second item:
This is a dagger based on one found from the Battle of Castillon and dates to 1453. It is a knighly thrusting style dagger and one of beautiful proportions. In fact.. after seeing it for the first time I was inspired to design my own version of it using the geometric sword design theory as put forth by the Swedish swordsmith Peter Johnsson. This theory involves the observation that some medieval swords may have been designed using the same methods in which Gothic cathedrals were created. It utilizes a beautiful system of interrelated circles, square and triangles to achieve harmony and beauty. It was very exciting for me to apply these ideas to this particular dagger and I was surprised and thrilled to see it come together. Almost every component of the weapon was dictated by geometric relationships.

The 16″ blade was forged from shear steel that I made myself using antique wrought iron from the 19th century that I converted to blister steel and then refined to shear steel. This was done by immersing the soft iron in a canister of charcoal and exposing to high heat for several hours. Blades and tools have been made like this using various methods for a very long time. It’s possible that the original dagger was made this way. The result is a high carbon steel with beautiful wood-grain character. The cross and pommel are of antique wrought iron and the grip is holly. There is a 24 kt gold inlay for my maker’s mark.

I’m asking $900 for this. Shipping will be calculated based on location.

14434898_1205175539523865_7.jpg

There are quite a few images on my website showing how this came about:

http://www.bigrockforge.com/castillon-dagger-from-shear-steel/

And lastly:
I’ve been in a sort of creative rut the last few months and decided that I needed to ‘reset’ some things and go back to the roots of where I started. Also… after reading a book on Japanese craftsmanship (the ‘Unknown Craftsman’) I started thinking about things made in an American context that fit the ideas put forth in that book. What I’ve made might seem like a surprise to some.. but to me the knives made by Bob Loveless, especially his drop point hunter, are a paradigm of utility, high craftsmanship and aesthetics. Bob was not an artist.. he was a craftsman that perfected his work by making lots and lots of similar knives over and over again. So.. I thought I would challenge myself by making my own version of a Loveless drop point hunter as an exercise in fit and finish… and making a simple, functional knife. I followed his book ‘How to Make Knives’ as closely as I could including the soldered guard (why don’t people do that anymore!?). The knife that I’ve made doesn’t match the perfection of finish that you see in the originals.. but hopefully it captures the spirit, with some of my own thrown in. When you pick it up you immediately feel the solidness, feel and balance that made this such a powerful design. The blade is 80CVR2, 19th century shear steel guard from an old dock spike and stained boxwood with red liners. The sheath was made by following Bob’s instructions. So this will be up for sale soon… and likely I will never make a knife like this again.

This knife is currently available at $550. Shipping will be calculated based on location.

20170426_084544.jpg

20170426_085717.jpg

20170426_105053.jpg

20170426_085952.jpg

20170426_090054.jpg

Thanks for looking. I can answer any question and take more pictures.

Paypal accepted with fee sharing. Check/money order also accepted.

Huh. They are linked from my website.. which used to work but things seemed to have changed here. let me take a look....

I can see them when I hit 'preview'... does that in general mean they are working on my side??

Maybe other people could chime in??

(also.. I can see them on my phone)

I can see them now. Might've been a problem on my end. Sorry for the bother.

These are gorgeous! but I think you need a knife makers membership to sell knives yo actually made yourself.

These are gorgeous! but I think you need a knife makers membership to sell knives yo actually made yourself.
I see now. Okay.. well so much for this. I will have to watch this forum for a bit and see if how much sells to justify $75/year.

Mods.. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my membership. I just paid for the Gold and right now I can only see the option of buying a 'Knifemaker' at full price. Anyway... trying to work it out...

Back